High CPU temps

ninjabubbles3

As I wanted to start over clocking soon, I just checked my CPU idle temperatures, they are sitting at around 57-65ish.

Aren't these extremely high? Even for the Intel stock cooler?

What can I do to lower them?

I wiped off the intel thermal paste with a paper towel, and reapplied some AS5.

On load, they are high 70s and highest ever was like 84

My CPU is the Intel Pentium G3258 anniversary edition

Last edited:

aldan

if you are overclocking with the stock cooler these are about right for temps.you need an aftermarket cooler like the 212 evo or something similar.depending on the oc the stock cooler isnt much good.and yes these are not good idle temps.i wouldnt even push it under load until i had a better cooler.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If everything is installed right, CPU compound applied right? What temp is the room its in. Plus adding a upper side fan as a intake to help the CPU cooler.

beers

Staff member
I put together a G3258 system and that sounds really high.

I'd probably try a reseat with fresh compound and make sure all of the pins are clicked through all the way.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I've heard that you are supposed to clean it off with some alchohol or something. Is my paper towel method still okay?

If you're taking your time getting all of it off and not leaving any residue, yeah you should be fine. However, the best way is to use alcohol/lint-free rag (coffee filters work amazing) to get everything off. Also remember that most thermal compounds require a break-in period (certain number of heat/cool cycles) to maximize their efficiency - can't remember if AS is one of them but i think it is.

Clean, re-seat, re-apply AS, make sure fan is properly positioned, then just monitor for a few days. If you do everything today, see what your temps are around Thanksgiving. Or just get an aftermarket fan and be done with the worrying ;)

ninjabubbles3

If you're taking your time getting all of it off and not leaving any residue, yeah you should be fine. However, the best way is to use alcohol/lint-free rag (coffee filters work amazing) to get everything off. Also remember that most thermal compounds require a break-in period (certain number of heat/cool cycles) to maximize their efficiency - can't remember if AS is one of them but i think it is.

Clean, re-seat, re-apply AS, make sure fan is properly positioned, then just monitor for a few days. If you do everything today, see what your temps are around Thanksgiving. Or just get an aftermarket fan and be done with the worrying ;)

Sounds good, I'm not currently at home but I haven't checked it in the past week or so.

I think its also possible I've damaged my fan, because I pulled it on and off quite a bit one day, not looking at directions on how to do it.

A good CPU cooler is on my list of stuff to buy tho ☺

Darren

Staff member
I'd recommend using rubbing alcohol and coffee filters rather than just a paper towel.

Okedokey

Come on. He is talking Fahrenheit! If he is talking Celsius, then he is living in a 158F room and 158F CPU temp under load.

So you don't think you can get to 80oC on a CPU with an incorrectly installed cooler??

In which case all of you are wasting your time as 10oF delta is very very good.