High CPU temps

Okedokey

I built a Pentium G3258 rig this year and runs at 32 degrees Celsius. 60 degrees Celsius is way too hot for an idle for most rigs considering even people using i7s try to remain 40 degrees Celsius or cooler. Check the following and respond: How much dust is the system? How many vents and fans does the system have? Is the computer on carpet or crammed into a shelf? Do you have it on a shelf? How close is to a wall?

You cannot possibly say that without mentioning the ambient temperature!!! Nonsense.

The only way you can maintain 32 degrees C is if your ambient is below 20oC, otherwise you break several laws of thermodynamics. That is working on the fact that 10oC delta is considered the golden temperature difference for watercooled systems, so you are not going to get that on many aircooled systems. So, yeah, it was a cold room you were in.

60oC is not hot and is a full 40oC under the TJ max.

We have already solved the problem, my question is how much of an OC can I get with the Hyper 212 Plus

So you have bought a new cooler??? is it on it yet. People have got to 5GHz on that chip, however I wouldn't think you would get there unless you have a really good motherboard and RAM. I would aim for 4.6GHz and then drop the voltage until unstable to manage the temps.

However since you have an unbranded 460W PSU, I wouldn't risk overclocking anything.

Last edited:

C4C

However since you have an unbranded 460W PSU, I wouldn't risk overclocking anything.

This is SO true. But that processor can hit 4.5ish on air. EVGA has a nice 550W for $20 on rebate right now.. I think... Unless that ended.

ninjabubbles3

I should update my Sig, my PSU is a Corsair CS550M

With the Hyper 212, I've heard people get around 4.4ish, does that sound right?

Okedokey

I should update my Sig, my PSU is a Corsair CS550M

With the Hyper 212, I've heard people get around 4.4ish, does that sound right?

Ok, cool. Yeah that should be fine. Start with the higher voltage and then reduce it to the point of instability, then raise it slightly. Stress test. I wouldn't use Prime95, as you never really max it out constantly, just use your computer as you would normally and modify if you have any BSOD. Make sure the RAM voltages are fixed at 1.5V (or 1.65V depending on model) and increase the fan loading to performance in the bios.

Okedokey

Just remember to benchmark too, there is no point upping the clock, heat and power and getting no performance increase.

ninjabubbles3

I havent played minecraft in two years lol.

I play League of Legends and TF2 mostly, in which I can play at maxed out settings at 60 fps. I never seem to get more than 65 fps though, even at low settings, pretty weird

Okedokey

Then be sure to understand WHY you are overclocking. Doing it just for fun, without any performance delta is pretty pointless and is usually a 'lose lose' situation.

Darren

Staff member
Then be sure to understand WHY you are overclocking. Doing it just for fun, without any performance delta is pretty pointless and is usually a 'lose lose' situation.

Eh there's slight risk but as long as you're careful you should be fine. I cranked my 8320 as high as I could get it just for fun then just knocked it down to stock since I didn't really need the extra speed.

Of course all it did was make me want a better motherboard. :D

ninjabubbles3

Well, I'll wait till I get a decent graphics card, either a GTX 750 TI, or a r9 270x, hopefully on Christmas, or my birthday (February)

C4C

LOL. Then either card will work for you!

Might experience more of a bottleneck with that 270X if you stay at stock speeds..

ninjabubbles3

So i received the cooler, and installed it, idle temps are like 30ish, but as soon as I run Prime95, i get a BSOD?

Games and stuff are okay