How do people get caught downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfguy

How do people get caught downloading music/movies..and such. I keep hearing all these stories of people getting busted but I don't understand how. Are they getting caught w/ P2P or on newsgroups or what? I don't get it. Are ISP's keeping track of bandwith and waiting for flags to go up? Or do they look for people like me to start talking about it?

WeatherMan

My county has started taking action against it now, I heard that a few months back 2 men had been fined £250 for it:eek:

cell4me

banned
They get you for sharing...the riaa will download a song and then they browse host (THATS YOU) and your ip address is displayed on p2p programs and when they see you are sharing 5000 mp3's they file a court order to find out who the owner is of that ip. I dont promote illegal filesharing but I do like to share other files and in order to protect my privacy I turn off the share my files option and run this http://phoenixlabs.org/ peerguardian its like a fire wall for p2p programs. :D

bigsaucybob

cell4me said:
They get you for sharing...the riaa will download a song and then they browse host (THATS YOU) and your ip address is displayed on p2p programs and when they see you are sharing 5000 mp3's they file a court order to find out who the owner is of that ip. I dont promote illegal filesharing but I do like to share other files and in order to protect my privacy I turn off the share my files option and run this http://phoenixlabs.org/ peerguardian its like a fire wall for p2p programs. :D

so you can only get caught for sharing files but not for downloading them?

Dr Studly

banned
they don't get you for downloading... they get you for uploading... (as downloading is legal, uploading isn't) usually you are uploading and you don't know it...
whatever thing you might be using to download music, make sure you go into the settings and turn off anything that has to do with uploaing or sharing

bigsaucybob said:
so you can only get caught for sharing files but not for downloading them?
correct

asdfguy

I know it's illeagal to upload in Canada, I didn't know about the US. What about newsgroups? Everyone I know swears by P2P but I don't get the attraction.

Smoko

Encore4More said:
as downloading is legal, uploading isn't

... So, piracy isn't against the law? I'm fine to go and download all the music/movies/games and software I want? Idiot.

You get caught by downloading/uploading and bragging. On P2P programs, they look at IP's that are downloading and uploading. Look at logs servers. It mainly consists of that.

jjsevdt

Sorry, but i'm not

Smoko said:
... So, piracy isn't against the law? I'm fine to go and download all the music/movies/games and software I want? Idiot.

Now, now. There really is no need for name calling, after all this is just a computer forum.

Anyway, they are MOST concerned with people sharing (providing) the content, because if you think about it it's not available to obtain illeagally unless it's being provided by some one. But you're only a teenager, I don't expect you to look at things logiacally. :p

Smoko

jjsevdt said:
Now, now. There really is no need for name calling, after all this is just a computer forum.

There is plenty of need.

jjsevdt said:
Anyway, they are MOST concerned with people sharing (providing) the content, because if you think about it it's not available to obtain illeagally unless it's being provided by some one. But you're only a teenager, I don't expect you to look at things logiacally. :p

I really hope you are kidding about not thinking logically because of my age. You never hear "* being sued by * for sharing *". It's "* being sued by * for downloading *", except for when it's a torrent site involved, but that hardly happens now days because of where they locate their trackers.

cell4me

banned
Smoko said:
You never hear "* being sued by * for sharing *". It's "* being sued by * for downloading *", except for when it's a torrent site involved, but that hardly happens now days because of where they locate their trackers.

They catch you uploading and then browsing the host (YOU) and if you have 5000mp3's that you are sharing illegally then they sue you not for downloading or uploading...the lawsuit will be for illegal file sharing, thats the way it works, http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/042804.asp

They dont have trackers and all this other crap installed at your isp or servers, they have to know what isp address is uploading all the mp3's browse it and then file a court order to see who it belongs to.

How do I know this? Because I know someone who the RIAA tried to sue. He won the case though on a bunch of technicalities though such as he used a laptop on a unprotected wireless network in an apartment complex and anyone in that building could have been using his isp to share files and they have to proove beyond a reasonable doubt that in fact it was you doing it.

Smoko

Basically what you are saying there is, I can use all the P2P I want with File Sharing disabled and never get caught. And that is completely wrong.

Filip

Good for me that Croatian government don't care about that stuff so you can do whatever you want with your internet connection.... :p :D :cool:

Last edited:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
asdfguy said:
I know it's illeagal to upload in Canada, I didn't know about the US. What about newsgroups? Everyone I know swears by P2P but I don't get the attraction.
The attraction is that what you download is free. When hundreds of thousands of people download music for free instead of paying for it, the RIAA takes notice. Why? Because they aren't getting their piece of the pie, called "royalties". So they make a stink and start monitoring people and suing them.

"Money talks. And when money talks, people listen." -- Thurston Howell III

Tom

Last edited:

cell4me

banned
Smoko said:
Basically what you are saying there is, I can use all the P2P I want with File Sharing disabled and never get caught. And that is completely wrong.
Basically what I am saying is dont do it and you have nothing to worry about. But the topic of this thread was (How do people get caught downloading?) And I was just sharing some insite on how they infact do catch you...P2P programs are a great tool, I use them for for sharing PLC programs to run our automated assembly lines at work through direct connect, how ever all my music has been paid for. There are many files that are legal to download and share on P2P programs as well such as pictures and movie trailers, freeware ect ect...!

asdfguy

Ok, let's look at this a little deeper then.

OvenMaster said:
The attraction is that what you download is free. When hundreds of thousands of people download music for free instead of paying for it, the RIAA takes notice. Why? Because they aren't getting their piece of the pie, called "royalties". So they make a stink and start monitoring people and suing them.

In comparison, P2P is free opposed to usenet services which you subscribe to. I would have to assume that since thier is no money in P2P, they would turn thier attention to Usenet Service Providers for "their piece of the pie". Technically, if I unerstand things correctly, thier server would be considered the host in possesion of a bunch of illeagally obtained material. I understand that the USP can't controll what people upload, but it would seem obvious to go where the money is.

What they should do is request a percentage of each users subsciprtion fee and let the user have a free for all as long as the copywrite owner registers the content as "Downloadable". Turn it into one huge media compnay (The RIAA) w/ a bunch of little affiliates (Copywrite Owners). DL'ing from usnet would wipe out P2P since you can get better quality and faster DL's. At least, thats my opinion...what do I know?

But then again, that's all I need, another tax and more regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.