How do people get caught downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apj101

VIP Member
#20 posts of pure crap

FACTS
You can get caught downloading and uploading

Your ip addy is stored on the varying trackers used to make p2p's operate, how else can you download

If caught the fine is unlimited in many countries, including the US, Canada, and EU, including new member states in the process of ratification.

It is just as illegal to download as well as upload.

p2p networks die without uploaders

Piracy stiffles software development, independent programmers, writers, et al

BULL CRAP
If I dont upload I want get caught... wrong, your ip is freely viewable by everyone

It is ok/legal for me to download...wrong, although there is a legal distinction the punishments are the same.

If i use a proxy server i will be ok.. wrong, many proxies log user activity and a cooperate with anti-piracy authorities to catch illegal downloaders.

And one last fact, this thread is dangerously close to being closed

Dr Studly

banned
apj101 said:
illegal downloaders.
FACT: law does not say anything about downloading copyrighted material being illeagle, it says distributing is illeagle... hate to break it to you...;)
we aren't asking if you like it or not,;) we are asking if it is leagle...:)

4W4K3

VIP Member
P2P is totally legal as long as what's being downloaded/uploaded is freeware or non-copyrighted, etc.

I'd imagine downloading copyright material is still illegal. But distributing it (or sharing) is even more of a crime, and the fines/penalty escalate if you're caught sharing as well as downloading.

apj101

VIP Member
Encore4More said:
FACT: law does not say anything about downloading copyrighted material being illeagle, it says distributing is illeagle... hate to break it to you...;)
Wrong...
just because you heard your friend say so, or your dad, or may have read someone somewhere saying "its ok as long as you don’t upload", does not make it true! Don’t discuss topics of law if you haven’t read them

I see you are from the US so I’ll give you US law. The U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act of December 1998 specifically prohibits the obtaining of a copy of downloaded material protected under copyright with the exception of copying previously owned material for your own use... this last comment links back to Copyright Act of 1976 as 17 U.S.C. Section 107, for the topic of Fair use and fair dealing, and Audio Home Recording Act Codified in Section 10, 1992 to the same effect.

I’m sure you wouldn't have said your comments without doing the necessary background reading, but for other readers please don’t take my word for it, read the Act yourself. http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

we aren't asking if you like it or not,;) we are asking if it is leagle...:)
Maybe before you start reading difficult stuff like legislative bills, you should practice by reading the original question. He was not asking for the legalities of the issue.

P2P is totally legal as long as what's being downloaded/uploaded is freeware or non-copyrighted, etc.
People often think that copyright is something you have to apply for, and probably pay for. But for the most part copyright is almost like a property right. Thus, as with property, a copyright need not be granted or obtained through official registration with the government. Once an idea has been reduced to material form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape or a letter), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.

But distributing it (or sharing) is even more of a crime, and the fines/penalty escalate if you're caught sharing as well as downloading.
Are you quoting from case law, or your arse?

4W4K3

VIP Member
apj101 said:
Are you quoting from case law, or your arse?

No, I applied what I thought was common sense.

You can be charged for downloading. You can also be charged for distributing.

If you were simply downloading, lets say they fined you $100. But if you were also distributing, there would be an additional fine of another $100. So, the fine is increased if you were doing both, no?

I thought the fine was based on the amount of illegally obtained software/music etc. you had?

I'm not saying this is right, this is just what I assumed to be true. Feel free to correct me. my "arse" has nothing to do with it.

apj101

VIP Member
I thought the fine was based on the amount of illegally obtained software/music etc. you had?
now that much is probably true, from a case law perspective. But statue doesnt really care, nor does it care if you upload or download. And £200 is a light fine.

To correct a previous comment, maximum penatly in the US is laid down in No Electronic Theft Act (NET Act), a federal law passed in 1997, at 3 years in jail and $250k fines + damages

asdfguy

Ok, my entire question STILL has yet to be answered. Forget all the legal BS. I don't care. I want to know how people get caught.This thread has gotten WAY off topic. I understand the idea with regards to P2P. But no one has yet to address newsgroups. Is no one getting caught on newsgroups, if so, why not? I don't want to hear "because it's only illegal if...BLAH!" I only hear about P2P, not newgroups. WHY!? The answer could be as simple as "because it's easier to catch them". I'd be fine with that, but only tell me that if you know it. Don't make up some BS that your sisters boyfriends mothers baby daddy told you.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
PRIVATEpastry said:
apj, are you a lawyer over there in London?

Haha, nice job shooting everyone down, by the way. :)
it doesnt matter if he is or he isnt, he knows what hes talking about and you obviously dont, and "shooting down", i think you'll find that was called "correcting", correcting your WRONG statments....

dragon

apj101

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
it doesnt matter if he is or he isnt, he knows what hes talking about and you obviously dont, and "shooting down", i think you'll find that was called "correcting", correcting your WRONG statments....

dragon
well it was more Encore4More i was correcting, PRIVATEpastry just got caught in the cross fire :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I have deleted PRIVATEpastry's most recent post for his foul mouth...

Last edited:

Smoko

Finally. People are starting to understand what I was trying to say.

Downloading copywritten stuff is just as illegal as uploading, and you are just as likely to get caught.

Thanks to those who cleared it up.

suprasteve

back to the question, I think you're much more likely to get caught at a business or college campus than you would be at your house, but you can get in trouble anywhere

4W4K3

VIP Member
Well yah, they probably have someone monitoring network activity. If you're torrenting you use certain ports that probably wouldn't see much activity...so when they are firing at all cylinders 24/7 they know something's up.

Lots of college's actually have there own sharing network, where student's can exchange info and the like. They probably aren't recognized or maintained by the campus, but if i walk on the Quad-C campus here in Frisco I can see alot of open connections/networks.

Dr Studly

banned
apj101 said:
Wrong...
just because you heard your friend say so, or your dad, or may have read someone somewhere saying "its ok as long as you don’t upload", does not make it true! Don’t discuss topics of law if you haven’t read them
actually, that isn'thow it happened, my parents didn't allow me to use file-sharing programs unless i showed them the law about it if it was leagle or not, so i had to look it up for them:p so i didn't hear that from someone, i had to find the law:p :p :p :p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.