How do you do it?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back on topic, at 21 living with your parents is lame to the max.

No its not,Theres nothing wrong still living with your parents.

A lot of people these days cannot afford to rent their own places,especially here in the UK where everything is so expensive!

Couple of my friends moved out of their parents when they were 18-19 as they thought it was "Un-cool"....only to have moved back in with them within a few months because they couldn't pay the rent/bills etc....they are still living with them now.

A work college of mine is 28 and still lives with his parents,Nothing to be ashamed of imo.

claptonman

I worked my entire high school years at 40 hours a week and since I wasn't paying rent, food, or anything, I saved up a ton of money. I work part-time at a computer helpdesk now to pay for rent/college. My rent is very low due to it being a college town and for food, I buy generic groceries. I usually don't eat out a lot so I save a decent amount of money. I have never gotten money from my parents besides for birthdays/holidays. I make all my money myself. And its my passion and it makes me happy. Going to college is very stressful at times, and this calms me. I think it makes up for it. And plus all the knowledge I'm learning will help me in the future.

I don't know Australia at all. Belgium neither. It all seems pretty much the same as here, but it isn't. The guy who maintains my house for me---the next door neighbors son---has just moved out of his family's house. He's in his 30's. The other son, who is a computer geek, is in prison. I'm financially solid but I'm running out of money. The market isn't moving. I'm scared I'm going to end up in prison eventually, too, if I can't pay my taxes. I'll be 71 on October 24th. I got into computers around the turn of last decade. I've been doing it by myself---no help except via the Internet and on the phone. I wouldn't go to school. Building my own. I must have built about 85 of these things. I sold about 20 of them 2010-2011. Below cost I might add. I'm now trying to sell one at cost ($700), but nobody wants it. They're just going to accumulate in my cellar. The funny thing is, I don't know too much about computers anyway.

strollin

Why on earth would you build computers and sell them below cost? Are you doing it out of the kindness of your heart?

Don't let them accumulate in your cellar as computers are a depreciating asset, they won't be worth as much tomorrow as they are today so it would be best to sell them at a price to get rid of them then invest the money some other way.

How can you be financially solid but be running out of money? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Most experts say that the draw rate from your retirement accounts after retirement should be around 4%. Are you exceeding that? If so, you may run out of money during your retirement.

Why on earth would you build computers and sell them below cost? Are you doing it out of the kindness of your heart?

Don't let them accumulate in your cellar as computers are a depreciating asset, they won't be worth as much tomorrow as they are today so it would be best to sell them at a price to get rid of them then invest the money some other way.

How can you be financially solid but be running out of money? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Most experts say that the draw rate from your retirement accounts after retirement should be around 4%. Are you exceeding that? If so, you may run out of money during your retirement.

Only way I could sell them. I sold them all on Craigslist.com. People snapped them up. I sold most of them at half-cost. I just enjoyed building them. That's all. The whole thing has driven me temporarily insane.
As far as being a depreciating asset, I know that. I have 2 computers I want to keep. One has a dinosaur case from around the turn of the century--blue green---heavy---an original form. I call it Hitler. The other one has a red, aluminum case. It's pretty much up to speed for what I use them for. I have a backup in that one. I have another regular one I use for work in the cellar. I've just built one and I'm starting work on another. It gives me something to do. I have the money for parts saved up.
I stand to inherit some money from my step-father when he passes on. That's the solid of it. As far as when he will pass on, that's up in the air. What's a draw rate?
I admire you for staying married that long and for bringing up 4 kids. My daughter has passed on.

Last edited:

Okedokey

No its not,Theres nothing wrong still living with your parents.

A lot of people these days cannot afford to rent their own places,especially here in the UK where everything is so expensive!

Couple of my friends moved out of their parents when they were 18-19 as they thought it was "Un-cool"....only to have moved back in with them within a few months because they couldn't pay the rent/bills etc....they are still living with them now.

A work college of mine is 28 and still lives with his parents,Nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Nonsense. London comes in at 25th whereas most Australian capital cities are in the 24 (Sydney 11).

I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and worked 3 jobs and did uni. Living with your parents at 21 is lame, especially in such a cheap place to live.

Last edited:

strollin

I stand to inherit some money from my step-father when he passes on. That's the solid of it. As far as when he will pass on, that's up in the air. What's a draw rate? ...
For those of us whose retirement plan does not rely on an inheritance, it is necessary to save for retirement so that we have something to live on when we stop working. A draw rate is what percentage of your retirement savings you withdraw each year to live on. If the draw rate is equal to or less than the return on your invested nest egg then you have a perpetual income for as long as you live. If your draw rate exceeds the return then you will eventually exhaust your savings.

WeatherMan

I think there's a difference in attitude here in the UK, it can be seen as 'uncool' to still be living with your parents, but generally people here move out when they are around 22\23+

Unless you work at least part time for a few solid years from the age of 16 up, and sacrifice further education, most people are extremely lucky to move out before 21!

I would love to be able to move out, but right now with the way our government have set things up, at the end of 2014 I will have a £35k debt to pay off because of university fee's, and that only goes up each year with interest :p Hell, I have a friend who works part time 4 days per week at argos, and his interest from last year was larger than the amount the gov took off of him for repayments to his loan :eek:

I think he would also get charged for any early repayments!

I suppose it is all okay if your parents are minted though.

Turbo10

I think there's a difference in attitude here in the UK, it can be seen as 'uncool' to still be living with your parents, but generally people here move out when they are around 22\23+

Maybe its cause we have the intelligence to realise that living on your own and paying for everything is not fun and is expensive as **** over here.

Ill move out when i have a stable job and can actually afford to live on my own.

AlienMenace

Hi;
I have never moved out of my parents home, when they passed on the house went to my older brother, he passed in 2005 now it is my house. But I am disabled and I have been building new machine through out the year. Started buying parts in March. My last major part left to buy is the video card, that will be in November. And paying bills in between.
I still play certain games from time to time. But, not like I used to. Right now trying out the demo of WOW: Mists of Pandaria.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Nonsense. London comes in at 25th whereas most Australian capital cities are in the 24 (Sydney 11).

I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and worked 3 jobs and did uni. Living with your parents at 21 is lame, especially in such a cheap place to live.

To be honest, while your responses make you sound like somewhat of a jackass (no offense), I completely agree with that mentality. I wouldn't dare live with my parents again. As soon as I graduated high school, I moved out. Since then, I've had jobs, paid my own bills and rent, bought my own cars, and pay for my own education.

People always blame money issues on bad economy, ei. Things are too expensive or they don't get paid enough. It's not that, at all, I've learned. I only make $8.50 an hour, and I have plenty of money for whatever I need. <- Keyword there. Everything that needs to get paid for, get paid for first. Honestly, though, after that, I put most my money in savings, or in a separate account for next month's bills.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
To be honest, while your responses make you sound like somewhat of a jackass (no offense), I completely agree with that mentality. I wouldn't dare live with my parents again. As soon as I graduated high school, I moved out. Since then, I've had jobs, paid my own bills and rent, bought my own cars, and pay for my own education.

People always blame money issues on bad economy, ei. Things are too expensive or they don't get paid enough. It's not that, at all, I've learned. I only make $8.50 an hour, and I have plenty of money for whatever I need. <- Keyword there. Everything that needs to get paid for, get paid for first. Honestly, though, after that, I put most my money in savings, or in a separate account for next month's bills.

It's just the circle of life, every part is stuck in eachother. You just have to think yourself a way out.

jonnyp11

that's the problem, everyone thinks they need a smartphone, ipad, new car, and all that stuff, and can't deal with what they have, they think they deserve more and end up screwing themselves out of everything. When i get a job i plan to pay what needs to be payed, then, depending on how much is left, save 50-70% off the excess and the rest will be floating cash, probably put 5-10% towards computer savings, only plan on upgrading or restarting every couple years, will squeeze all i can get out of it.

FuryRosewood

I'm using my old 98 SC2, but I am putting money into it to keep it going, want to hold onto it for 20+ years, which I don't think is out of the realm of possibility. Gets 33mpg in town, 40 if i take it up and down the mountains nearby, most of the downhill is a coast in 4th or 3rd gear, engine braking. Very relaxing drive till at least you get to aurora...god i hate living in Aurora Colorado. Next few purchases will be door seals, some paint work and if i save enough a new head unit and speakers for it. Engine is in good shape, though it needs piston rings, but that is a future thing, i cant really afford that kinda work, probably would cost 1.5k to do that.

I think the OP thinks we are all lazy ass gamers who live in our moms basement and play video games all day. Not true. You would be surprised, I think, to know that many gamers can have a good job and play games.

jonnyp11

I think the OP thinks we are all lazy ass gamers who live in our moms basement and play video games all day. Not true. You would be surprised, I think, to know that many gamers can have a good job and play games.

no life, but yes, job and games :p;)

Darren

Staff member
I work part time and go to High School and take crazy hard classes. Just got done with 7 hours of homework in a night. On a typical Friday I have school for 8 hours, then work for 7 hours. I got most of my money for my computer through mowing yards and saving for a while plus Birthday money. Got my computer before I had a real job.

itsaferbie

The way I was able to buy my computer was from a part time job during my high school year. Right now though I am at college and work part time for about 20-25 hours a week. And I make pretty decent money too, but most of it goes toward rent, bills, and food. And whatever I have left over I save, and I buy games whenever I see a great deal.