How to NOT get raped by Apple..

vonfeldt7

I recently purchased an iPod and I want to download some music for it, sounds pretty simple right? I thought so too, but then I remembered I was dealing with Apple.

All I want is a service to download unlimited music for around $15 a month (so iTunes is out...which is unfortunate because it would have been the most convenient). The problem, is that half of the services out there that do this, aren't compatible with iTunes.

I've searched...and still am, but does anybody know of anything that'll do what I want? What about removing the DRM? Is that illegal?

Why you have to jump through hoops to get legal music is beyond me, you'd think that they'd try to make it as easy as possible.

lovely?

yeah ipods are pains in the ass if you insist on doing things legally.

(i'll go ahead and shut up now)

vonfeldt7

yeah ipods are pains in the ass if you insist on doing things legally.

(i'll go ahead and shut up now)

I don't insist of doing it legally, I've always done it illegally before, but I thought maybe I'd try it legally, however if it's going to be this big of a hassle, then forget it.

Eh, you could always use napster, it's $13 a month I think and that's unlimited, you should just be able to drag those into itunes...but if you cancel your napster service, the next time you connect your iPod it deletes the music.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Just use limewire. They have bigger things to worry about.

As you know, downloading music via Limewire is illegal, and discussion of this activity violate the forum rules. Not only that, many of the files shared with that program contain nasty malware, so you're basically suggesting that the OP put his entire PC at risk. Terrible advice.

Infraction issued.

tlarkin

VIP Member
any subscription service that uses AAC or MP3 should work fine, the problem is, that a lot of them use WMA which is not supported by iPod.

WMA sucks anyway

Yes, windows media audio sucks because apple doesn't support it. Just another greedy company forcing people to use their service.

edit: Legal programs can record the songs, and convert them to non-drm. It is legal, but you have to pay about $40 for the program.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes, windows media audio sucks because apple doesn't support it. Just another greedy company forcing people to use their service.

edit: Legal programs can record the songs, and convert them to non-drm. It is legal, but you have to pay about $40 for the program.

You should re-read the DMCA before you give advice like that. Technically it is illegal to remove any kind of DRM on a protected property.

Apple does sell DRM free music on the ITMS, and its like a dollar a song or something.

Subscription based music is lame, because you don't own the music you lease it, and if you ever quit your subscription your music goes bye bye

WMA is popular because it is so DRM heavy.

You are not removing it though. You are recording it. The file does not change.

edit: No, wma is popular because you can pay $15 a month for 5,000 songs like me, or pay $5000 for the songs.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member

Again, go read the DMCA, you aren't allowed to transfer medias either. Recording it, could more than likely be considered transferring it to a different media.

Of course there are fine lines and shades of gray, but saying it is out right legal is not a good idea.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member

Taken from the iTunes TOS ...

(x) You agree that you will not attempt to, or encourage or assist any other person to, circumvent or modify any security technology or software that is part of the Service or used to administer the Usage Rules.

With that software, you are technically violating the above.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I wrote a 15 page paper on the DMCA and internet piracy in College when the DMCA was pretty much first enacted. It has changed since then and since the law of our country (being the USA) is actually all conceptual there is no definite answer. Since, it is up to a judge to interpret the law, not you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca

If you want to read through endless pages of legal speak, go ahead and you will find all your answers and loop holes.

"Taken from the iTunes TOS ..."

I was talking about things like napster drm files...

edit: But the software does not change the file AT ALL. It simply plays it, and records what your computer is playing.