How to NOT get raped by Apple..

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Someone please lock this before anyone else gets in trouble...

This thread doesn't need to be locked.

As far as the DRM stuff is concerned, I've spoken with apj101, and he doesn't have any problems with members discussing DRM circumvention, so long as the music is for personal use. Any talk of removing the DRM for the purposes of file sharing violate the forum rules.

vonfeld7 - It looks like you can obtain a free trial of both Napster and TuneBite. If you try it out, post back with the results. :)

apj101

VIP Member

As far as the DRM stuff is concerned, I've spoken with apj101, and he doesn't have any problems with members discussing DRM circumvention, so long as the music is for personal use. Any talk of removing the DRM for the purposes of file sharing violate the forum rules.

vonfeld7 - It looks like you can obtain a free trial of both Napster and TuneBite. If you try it out, post back with the results. :)

ill add to that.
This may seem like a contradiction, we seem to be allowing discussions around music sharing but not video sharing/downloading???

TO make clear, Im fine with this discussion as there are a LOT of valid reasons why you would want to remove the drm, mainly to play the song of different devices eg your car, your phone etc.... Whilst its not against copyright law there are potential license legal issues which are still be tested in the courts but are weak.
When talking about films there are no valid reasons to be using torrents or other downloading methods and hence we do not discuss them here. And the argument in favour of knowing how to rip a dvd are not as strong as those for removing a DRM, and hence the reason for the apparent contradiction.

To put it simply Id say most people looking to remove drm do it for legit reasons
Most looking to rip dvds/download via torrents do it for non legit reasons.

just a noob

you could just search for the album at the local library, and put the songs onto itunes, thats what i do for my zune, not sure how legal that is though

vonfeldt7

Well I'm using rhapsody & tunebite...and it seems to be working just fine. My only "complaint" is that it seems to take a long time to "convert" (whatever you want to call it) the files.

massahwahl

VIP Member
disagree, iPod Touch for the win! I could never go back after using a touch, and love my touch. Best swag I ever got!

how much did you spend on the ipod touch for how much memory?

I fail to see how a touch screen somehow makes the device worth so much! With the zune, it never leaves my car. In the morning before I leave I connect wirelessy to our home network from the driveway and download any new songs i added the night before and away I go! Not only that but after almost three years, the battery still lasts about 5 days with normal driving use.

I guess im just not into the whole touch screen fad. I hate them all the stupid new phones coming out and dont see a purpose for it on the ipod. Just my opinion though :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
how much did you spend on the ipod touch for how much memory?

I fail to see how a touch screen somehow makes the device worth so much! With the zune, it never leaves my car. In the morning before I leave I connect wirelessy to our home network from the driveway and download any new songs i added the night before and away I go! Not only that but after almost three years, the battery still lasts about 5 days with normal driving use.

I guess im just not into the whole touch screen fad. I hate them all the stupid new phones coming out and dont see a purpose for it on the ipod. Just my opinion though :p

It was S.W.A.G. (Stuff We All Get - it was free). It is an 8gig model and it is more than just an iPod. I can VNC control my desktop with it, I can sync and stream music off my library at home over the the internet, so I have access to over 100gigs of music. I have games and other apps on it, and the touch screen interface is slick and very nice.

I wish it was a 32 gig though.

massahwahl

VIP Member
It was S.W.A.G. (Stuff We All Get - it was free). It is an 8gig model and it is more than just an iPod. I can VNC control my desktop with it, I can sync and stream music off my library at home over the the internet, so I have access to over 100gigs of music. I have games and other apps on it, and the touch screen interface is slick and very nice.

I wish it was a 32 gig though.

Oh cool, well if it was free then that makes anything sweet! :D

I guess i dont mind not having the remote desktop and such on the Zune because I can do that on my Blackberry. I strictly use the Zune for music, as thats all I wanted in a music player... Music!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Oh cool, well if it was free then that makes anything sweet! :D

I guess i dont mind not having the remote desktop and such on the Zune because I can do that on my Blackberry. I strictly use the Zune for music, as thats all I wanted in a music player... Music!

I also have a blackberry for work and it can't hold a stick to the interface of my Touch. I want an iPhone really bad now, but hate AT&Ts plans and rates, and their coverage sucks IMO, but I can't justify dropping $600 for a phone so I can unlock it and toss it on T-Mobile.

I mean web browsing on a touch versus my Blackberry 8330 is night and day difference. My blackberry sucks a big one, and I am using the Opera mini browser on it.

If you jail break your iPod touch it opens up a whole world of apps for you as well. It is almost like a pocket computer that plays music.

gamerman4

Most likely that software does something that is illegal. You may not be modifying the DRM file but I would consider it under the category of "circumventing".

Last edited:

DirtyD86

banned
Not saying any names, but I love how people frown on those who mention piracy, when you know damn well you do it yourself. I wouldn't go so far as to call you a hypocrite, but.... yeah, you're a hypocrite.