HP a1550 y

Hi I have a HP a 1550 y

It has an INTEL (R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66 GHZ
1 GB RAM
CHIPSET-INTEL 945 G

I would like to upgrade the CPU from the 2.66 that it has to something bigger. What can I do what are my options?

ANy Ideas? THANKS.

Geoff

VIP Member
What operating system are you running? If you're looking for a performance boost, upgrading your RAM would be the best option.

IM running windows XP. IM not computer savvy what type of RAM do I need?

Thanks.

ALso I want to upgrade this if I can because I have never upgraded hardware on a computer and would like to learn. So this would be a good start.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not worth upgrading in my opinion. Motherboard will only take 4 x 1gb sticks of ddr2 667mhz ram. By the time you upgrade ram and get windows 7 you are better off building a new tower.

I would like to learn on this computer.

I found a brand new PENTIUM 4 641 chip on AMAZON for 15.00 and the memory for 10.00 per 1 GB stick. I have never installed a CPU and I really want to do it. I just dont want to order one and have it not work is all. So im asking you guys. WHat would be the best CPU to put in this motherboard? Also what is the best RAM I can put in?

Thanks for any help.

Geoff

VIP Member
I would like to learn on this computer.

I found a brand new PENTIUM 4 641 chip on AMAZON for 15.00 and the memory for 10.00 per 1 GB stick. I have never installed a CPU and I really want to do it. I just dont want to order one and have it not work is all. So im asking you guys. WHat would be the best CPU to put in this motherboard? Also what is the best RAM I can put in?

Thanks for any help.
So you want to downgrade your CPU? The P4 is worse than the Pentium D.

As John said, there is no point in upgrading your computer, it's just too old. If you want experience, that's another thing. If that's all you want I would take everything apart and try to put it back together. If you can, then you can build a new PC.

Is there any type of dual core processer that would fit in the motherboard and be supported?

I just really want to switch out hardware and see if I can make it work. This is something I really want to do. Whats the best CPU i could get in your opinion.

Why is the P4 worse?
Is there another D I could put in thats better?

Thanks for any help.

Geoff

VIP Member
Is there any type of dual core processer that would fit in the motherboard and be supported?

I just really want to switch out hardware and see if I can make it work. This is something I really want to do. Whats the best CPU i could get in your opinion.

Why is the P4 worse?
Is there another D I could put in thats better?

Thanks for any help.

The Pentium 4 is a single core processor. The best you will probably be able to do is upgrade to a faster Pentium D, but any Pentium D is a poor performing processor, even the top of the line one won't be much better, especially with only 1GB of RAM.

Geoff

VIP Member
Can I put a dual core in it?
Yes, but you already have a dual-core in it.

I can understand that you want to learn more about computers, but you can learn a lot by taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together. Trying to upgrade a 10+ year old computer is just not worth it, the memory alone is 2-3x more expensive per GB than new memory because they don't make it anymore.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The fastest processor you can upgrade to is a pentium D 840 3.2 ghz. As far as memory goes, you would need 4 x 1gb sticks of ddr2 667mhz ram. If you are running XP then 2gb would be sufficient or even 3gb as windows will only see at max 3.25 to 3.5 gb with it only being 32bit OS. If you have the money that you don't mind wasting then go right ahead and upgrade. You are better off buying a better system.

How do you know its not the ASUS?
Whats a smithfield core?

I think I might spend 20.00 on a CPU and RAM used off EBAY.

This will be fun

Thanks for your help. I needed it.

aldan

the best you can do processor wise is a pentium d 915 dual core processor.as well you can max out the ram and upgrade to windows 7.its not gonna be real fast but it will be better than you have.have fun with it.