I want to buy a monster PC...

DanTheMan

CPU Subsystem
AMD Opteron 880 Dual-Core 2.4GHz 1MB (per core) 64/32 Bit (940) 8 of these
Tyan Transport VX50 B4881V50S4H-8P (is this like a server mobo that comes with a case or what?)

Memory Subsystem
Kingston KVR333Q4R25/4G 4GB 333MHz DDR PC2700 Reg ECC DIMM x4 Quad Rank Memory 32 of these

Video Subsystem
ASUS Geforce 7800GTX EN7800GTX/2DHTV/512M Video Card
2 of these

Chasis & PSU

SuperMicro SC933S2-R760 3U ATX Chassis + 760W Triple-Redundant [N+1, 12V@48A]

SMART-UPS RT 3000VA 120V L5-30P ONLINE 8OUT 5-15R 5-20R
3 of these

NETWORKAIR PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER 4KW 120V 60HZ

Primary Harddrive Battery - Applications
LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-4X 4 Channel Ultra 320 PCI-X RAID Controller

mushkin Green 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory (what is this RAM 4? why is it over here?)

HITACHI Ultrastar 15K147 36.7GB 3.5" SCSI Ultra320 68pin Hard Drive
3 of these

Secondary Harddrive Battery

LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-4X 4 Channel Ultra 320 PCI-X RAID Controller

mushkin Green 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory (what is this RAM 4? why is it over here?)

Fujitsu 147GB 3.5" SCSI Ultra320 68pin Hard Drive
5 of these

Tertiary Hard Drive Battery - Long Term Storage + Media Repository

LSI LOGIC MEGARAID 300-8X 8PORT SATA II 128MB PCIX 64BIT 133MHZ 8-7PIN SATA

mushkin Green 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory

Maxtor MaxLine Pro 500 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
5 of these

Swab Subsystem

Cenatek Rocket Drive

Primary Display

SAMSUNG 244t-Black 24" 6ms (G to G) LCD Monitor (would the dell ones be better) 2 of these

Secondary Display

MITSUBISHI XD480U DLP Projector
DUAL MASK Tensioned 87X155 Audio Vision HD

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Sound Card

Speakers:
KLIPSCH ULTRA 2 THX SYSTEM

CD/DVD

PLEXTOR Beige SATA DVD Burner Model

LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model

Network Subsystem

Infrant RN600-2000 Ready NAS 600 Network Storage

U.S. Robotics USR5451 Wireless MAXg Access Point

looks good, thanks

now what Operating System would i use? windows media center?

would the dell monitors be better?

thanks

and someone said something about needing fans for the processors...
can i have links for that?

i would like to start ordering soon :)

Last edited:

myPCrocks

Iamdisturbed7645 said:
i would suggest if you really want the best go aleinware if you buy all of those parts its going to be really hard to configure them just get the best at aleinware, their the top dogs for games.

LMAO ,ya right.

thebeginning

goodness gracious. pardon my bluntness, but are you seriously going to spend that much money on a personal computer? even for the highest end gaming you don't need all that. I don't know loads about computers, but I know that for high end gaming a sub $10k system could easily run three large monitors (which might be overkill too, seeing as that would require a desk that's at least 7 feet long), especially with the quad 7900GTX's coming out. that right there is just crazy. :) If you plan to buy a $5000 dollar computer every 2 years, why not just buy a $5000 pc now? if you're going to buy another computer that soon, then the difference between fps isnt worth all that extra cost. you probably wouldnt even notice a difference.

but really though, why not save the money for something else? it seems pretty unwise to use all that new income you got right off the bat...why not save it for your kid's college expenses? Just because there is money to spend doesnt mean that it must be spent. I'm not saying that you said that (you seem very humble actually, especially compared to that doom guy we had a while back) but it just seems to be a waste.

DanTheMan

thebeginning said:
money for something else? it seems pretty unwise to use all that new income you got right off the bat...why not save it for your kid's college expenses? Just because there is money to spend doesnt mean that it must be spent. I'm not saying that you said that (you seem very humble actually, especially compared to that doom guy we had a while back) but it just seems to be a waste.
eh... im not even spending a 10th of my income on this...
and i have more money saved for my kids' college...
have no clu wut 2 save 4... plus it would be a interesting acomplishment getting a 80K pc...:)
can someone answer my questions i asked in my last post?
thanks so much guys! much appreciated:)

and and i didn't mean i am buying one every 2 years... just when the old one starts gettin out dated...
btw, how long do u think this beast of a PC will last? 5 yrs?

34erd

Nah man your gonna need something 64 bit to support all 128 Gb of RAM. Get XP pro 64 bit edition. Or do you want linux or something else?

DanTheMan

i would like something windows...

r u sure media wouldn't work?
cus i really like the media center application... (i have it on mine)

34erd

DanTheMan said:
i would like something windows...

r u sure media wouldn't work?
If you only want 3 gigs of your 128 to work, WME will be fine :p

what about windows vista? i dont know anything about it but its the newest one so my guess is it would be the best. your spending more money on one computer than my mom makes in one year. are you saying that you make 1 mil a year? damn you must have really hit a good spot in life. also... how old are you?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what is this RAM 4? why is it over here
The RAM is for the RAID card which comes standard with 128MB

would the dell monitors be better?
Then I would have picked them

I dont do OSes, or keyboards, or mice, or chairs, or other trinkets.

how long do u think this beast of a PC will last? 5 yrs?
About a year

IMO, media center is a bunch of pretty crap for average users that barely know how to use a VCR. If you plan on putting this box together (and overclocking it at that), Id sure as hell expect something more than "media center" stuff.

If you only want 3 gigs of your 128 to work, WME will be fine
3.5GB

ok guys... i came 4 help!
thank u to the ppl that have helped me...
just i need 2 know what OS to buy
Solaris, W2K AS, BeOS etc
Here's a summary: http://www.osdata.com/kind/summary.htm
(btw I can understand asking about hardware cuz that's seriously confusing but OS? c'mon ;))

how old are you?

For the record, you will never ever make use of any non-infrastructure components I picked out (cuz if you did, you wouldnt be asking for hardware advice) so I would seriously consider spending signficaantly less for absolutely zero measureable performance drop cuz you see, someone like me ... I'd make use of 16-concurrent threads flying around ... for the menial tasks you've outlined (cuz if there was something serious, you would/should have noted it by now), you'll barely even stress a 4-thread box ... but oh well, that's my two cents.

B-MAN

I once saw this 92" monitor. We actually is was 4 big lcd screens stuck to eachother. But that screen only (then) would take 98% of your budget if i remember corectly.

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

I had this great computer (for that time (2 or 3 years back i think)) with it.

It has new stuff now.. like a 160" monitor... can't find the prices tho

DanTheMan

Praetor said:
For the record, you will never ever make use of any non-infrastructure components I picked out (cuz if you did, you wouldnt be asking for hardware advice) so I would seriously consider spending signficaantly less for absolutely zero measureable performance drop cuz you see, someone like me ... I'd make use of 16-concurrent threads flying around ... for the menial tasks you've outlined (cuz if there was something serious, you would/should have noted it by now), you'll barely even stress a 4-thread box ... but oh well, that's my two cents.
ok, so then y did u go through the trouble of making the system 4 me?

ok, then screw this... i'll buy my wife a nice car... (btw, heh, she just had our kid :) :) :) :) its a he :) )

i'll get myself a $8,000 PC and like a $8,000 display... but i really want those speakers u showed me...
so i will pick out the components... ik the basics guys... i built my last PC...:)

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
(btw, heh, she just had our kid its a he )
Congratulations.

If you give us a reasonable budget then im sure someone will build a better suited PC. The reason he went through thr trouble of builidng it was because you said you had $80k to play with

DanTheMan

ok i just upgraded my PC...
look in my signature 2 c what i purchased in my upgrade...

i will buy a whole new PC when teh AM2 comes out like ppl told me 2

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
I do like the way you put that you upgraded until the AM2 comes out, which isnt long. Most people would of upgraded to the specs in your sig, then kept that for a few years.