i7 1366 vs i7 1156 vs i5 1156

Computer_Freak

Hey guys

How much of a difference will i notice between all these Processors?

The i5 is cheaper by about $120, but i want to get the best performance, and less heat...

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 Processor

Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz LGA1156 Processor

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz LGA1156 Processor

I dont care about 1 - 2 frames in games, but i need the computer to generally run faster (basically do what a processor does, but better than the other...)

Should i just go with the i7 920? Cause i heard that the i5 doesnt have Hyper Threading. so its basically between the i7, but with different pin count...

I will OC, so i dont really care about stock speeds...

canivari

if u gonna OC the processor beware of the guarantees..they dont cover if the cpu burn..
Anyway if u still with the OC idea i would go for the Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 Processor because it it can be OC very well without loosing stability..

Computer_Freak

if u gonna OC the processor beware of the guarantees..they dont cover if the cpu burn..
Anyway if u still with the OC idea i would go for the Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 Processor because it it can be OC very well without loosing stability..

i know the OC makes you lose your guarantee etc. + i will only OC untill i hit my ceiling. I wont raise voltages...

im talking pure processing performance though.

what is better between them...

87dtna

My I5 is a beast. While gaming, at 3.8 ghz, my CPU NEVER goes over 20% usage the entire time no matter what playing COD WAW.
Talk about overkill! I would save your money and just go I5. Hyper threading is overrated, it's not needed. Take a look at the benchmarking threads on this site, my I5 setup is no lower than 3rd place in anything (unless they haven't updated the thread).
With my chip, stock voltage would go up to 3.6 ghz, and 3.8 ghz only required a .050 increase for 100% stability. Oh, I also not sure about on the stock cooler or anything, but I have a TRUE and at 4.3ghz with 1.5875 Vcore my CPU never goes over 60c core temp.

BTW, if you don't plan on running more than one good single graphics card, I super highly recommend the board I have. The P55 pro from ASrock, it's awesome! I got to 200 BCLCK on all stock voltages, most mid range boards won't do that. It's only $115 on the egg right now, thats what I payed. Amazing board for that price. 200 X 18 multi = 3.6ghz and that will run on all stock voltages all day long probably on the stock cooler.

Last edited:

canivari

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 Processor is the best in responsivenese
It the only with 4.8GTs the other 2 only have 2.5GTs.
In the end of the day doesnt matter much the frequency they work inside core,
what really counts its at what speed they can comunicate with other components of your computer,
and the Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 Processor is the best on that.

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

well, the i7 isnt that much more than the i5

The mobos are the same price hare, so i think ill go i7.

Cause i really dont want to up in the next 3 years...

I have had my current setup (excl GPU) for 3 - 4 years (one of the 2)

so if i can do the same, ill be happy...

funkysnair

VIP Member
to tell you the truth i think the performance difference is very minimal between the intel i cpu range!

if i was to build my setup again i would prob choose the cheaper option with the dual channel ram!

my pc has cost me a fortune and i think for a few £100 less i prob could get a i5 that performs on par with it

87dtna

well, the i7 isnt that much more than the i5

The mobos are the same price hare, so i think ill go i7.

Cause i really dont want to up in the next 3 years...

I have had my current setup (excl GPU) for 3 - 4 years (one of the 2)

so if i can do the same, ill be happy...

How do you figure that? (on the price)

I just said my p55 board was $115 and most 1366 boards are over 200, cpu is $200 instead of $290, and ram is cheaper too.

2048Megabytes

I second what 87dtna said. The Intel Core i5 750 Processor is the best buy out of the processors you are presently looking at.

canivari

So 2048Megabytes, what u are trying to say is that u prefer
an CPU that doenst even support triple channel,no QPI links at all,
only runs 2.5GT/s (when the 920 as 4.8GT/s)..is that it?