i7 1366 vs i7 1156 vs i5 1156

tt2ent

O and if I was to get another CPU for the 1156 it would be the Xeon x3440. Its a Lynfield cpu with hyperthreading but its only $20 more than the i5 750 I got. I could kick myself for that one...

87dtna

The x3440 is $240, it's priced driectly in between the I5 and I7. The I7 has a higher multiplier...plus, I don't believe the Xeon's have turbo either. You'd probably only get 4-4.2ghz max from a 3440 (220x19).

tt2ent

The x3440 is $240, it's priced driectly in between the I5 and I7. The I7 has a higher multiplier...plus, I don't believe the Xeon's have turbo either. You'd probably only get 4-4.2ghz max from a 3440 (220x19).

Ive seen them on Amazon for $220 and some change with shipping but the point is its priced in between. If you overclock you don't use Turbo right ?? Don't all Lynfields overclock in the same area ? I know all are different minutely.

heres a review for the MSI p55-gd85 http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/916

Im not a ''fanboy" of any sort. I know there are sweet products by all manufactures. I don't play sides and I will use anything. AMD intel, Asus, MSI, ATI, NVIDIA it doesn't matter. I use what I like and whats good. If someonethings not so hot, i'll call em out. It's obvious to see when a manufacturer feels like they are "on top" and comfortable. THey get lax on the goods and quality suffers. The companies fighting for the 1# spot are the ones you should look out for and the ones that have the most contracts with the most branded computers I would look closer,.

Last edited:

87dtna

Ive seen them on Amazon for $220 and some change with shipping but the point is its priced in between. If you overclock you don't use Turbo right ?? Don't all Lynfields overclock in the same area ? I know all are different minutely.

Turbo gives you an extra multiplier in the Bios. The I5 750 has a 20 multi, but you can set it to 21 in the Bios with turbo. The I7 has a 21 multi, but 22 with turbo.
No, not at all. My I5 would run 4.0ghz at 1.425 Vcore, with a MAX of 4.3ghz at 1.575 Vcore. My I7 860 would run 4.2ghz at 1.3925 Vcore and 4.4ghz at 1.475 Vcore and 4.8ghz with HT off at 1.575 Vore :good:

Last edited:

tt2ent

Turbo gives you an extra multiplier in the Bios. The I5 750 has a 20 multi, but you can set it to 21 in the Bios with turbo. The I7 has a 21 multi, but 22 with turbo.
No, not at all. My I5 would run 4.0ghz at 1.425 Vcore, with a MAX of 4.3ghz at 1.575 Vcore. My I7 860 would run 4.2ghz at 1.3925 Vcore and 4.4ghz at 1.475 Vcore and 4.8ghz with HT off at 1.575 Vore :good:

ok I think I gotcha.
Can you select what values Turbo uses ? Not sure how to word that question easily. How do you tell Turbo what voltages to use ? So Turbo just adds 1 to your mutliplier and nothing more or less ?
What would be the purpose of using Turbo when im already running @ high frequencies 24/7 ?

87dtna

If you set it to the turbo multiplier in the Bios manually, it will be at that setting the whole time it won't go up and down like turbo at stock settings.

tt2ent

hey 87dtna, I cant figure out how to private message someone on this forum for the life of me. How is it possible to get such high frequency on that i3 of yours ? low power = low heat ? it's very interesting to me why you went with that CPU. you got you some cool points on that one lol .

sorry to hijack the thread but... yea

87dtna

hey 87dtna, I cant figure out how to private message someone on this forum for the life of me. How is it possible to get such high frequency on that i3 of yours ? low power = low heat ? it's very interesting to me why you went with that CPU. you got you some cool points on that one lol .

sorry to hijack the thread but... yea

Well, a good mobo, a good aftermarket cooler, and a little know how :good:

With the stock cooler, I can run 4.0ghz at 1.35 Vcore but it hits 80c under load. I have a TRUE, which stands for ThermalRight Ultra Extreme which has and 12 copper heat pipes a 120mm fan on it. At 4.6ghz at 1.3925 Vcore, it hits about 70c max.
Not all chips clock this well though. I had an I3 530 also, and it would only hit 4.4ghz with 1.45 Vcore.
I have gotten over 5ghz on air, but with hyper threading off and Vcore that you shouldn't run on a 32nm chip! LOL

I went with the I3 because it's more than enough for my needs, and it's cool to have a 24/7 overclock of mid 4ghz clocks! :p I had an I7 860 before it, and an I5 750 before that, both very powerful CPU's but way more than I needed. Just used them for benching and then sold them. I'm a hardware junky.

87dtna

Yeah but you must not have it on. Go to your user CP, on the left hand column click on Edit options...and under private messaging the box needs to be checked, and then go all the way down and save changes.

Gooberman

It's been here for awhile xD
10. Only members with 100 posts are able to send Private messages and post in the computer equipment for sale section. Members are not allowed to pm other users and attempt to sell them anything. Any member who sends you a pm trying to sell you something should be reported directly to an admin and/or moderator. Their account will be banned immediately.
** Please note that in most cases, posts will simply be deleted and you will be directed to these set of forum rules. However repetitive breaching of the forum rules will result in termination of your account and deletion of all associated posts. **