i7 1366 vs i7 1156 vs i5 1156

Jet

VIP Member
I have a TRUE and at 4.3ghz with 1.5875 Vcore my CPU never goes over 60c core temp.

BTW, if you don't plan on running more than one good single graphics card, I super highly recommend the board I have. The P55 pro from ASrock, it's awesome! I got to 200 BCLCK on all stock voltages, most mid range boards won't do that. It's only $115 on the egg right now, thats what I payed. Amazing board for that price. 200 X 18 multi = 3.6ghz and that will run on all stock voltages all day long probably on the stock cooler.

1.5875 is insanely high voltage for 4.3--an i7 920 should be able to hit 4.3 in the 1.4-1.45V range.

At 200 base clock it will run at 3.6 gt/s

Multi threaded super PI contest-

http://www.computerforum.com/163868-multi-threaded-super-pi-contest.html

My I5 at 4.3ghz is only .2 seconds slower than an I7 920 at 4.0ghz. Thats not bad consider my build costs atleast $250 less. The I5 is very fast and defintely overkill for anything at this current time, so since it's overkill now you'll still be good for years to come.

87dtna--we've gone over this before. The ASRock P55 Extreme is $115, my ASRock X58 Extreme is $118. No difference there. If you have a Microcenter nearby, the i7 920 is +$50 more than the i5 750, or if not, it's +$90. As far as memory, I'd venture to say that the difference is nothing. Yes, you may be paying more for memory, but that's because you're getting 6GB instead of 4GB. Else, you can just get 3GB and be done with it.

As far as the Multithreaded SuperPi is concerned--.2 seconds slower is actually a big difference. Clock for clock, you'd be getting 11.42 seconds compared to an i7 920's 10.4--a ~10% increase. Factor in that the i7 920 takes less voltage, and I'd venture to pick the 920 vs. the 750.

Of course, it all depends what prices the i5 and the i7 are (along with the motherboards) in South Africa.

87dtna

1.5875 is insanely high voltage for 4.3--an i7 920 should be able to hit 4.3 in the 1.4-1.45V range.

87dtna--we've gone over this before. The ASRock P55 Extreme is $115, my ASRock X58 Extreme is $118. No difference there. If you have a Microcenter nearby, the i7 920 is +$50 more than the i5 750, or if not, it's +$90. As far as memory, I'd venture to say that the difference is nothing. Yes, you may be paying more for memory, but that's because you're getting 6GB instead of 4GB. Else, you can just get 3GB and be done with it.

As far as the Multithreaded SuperPi is concerned--.2 seconds slower is actually a big difference. Clock for clock, you'd be getting 11.42 seconds compared to an i7 920's 10.4--a ~10% increase. Factor in that the i7 920 takes less voltage, and I'd venture to pick the 920 vs. the 750.

Of course, it all depends what prices the i5 and the i7 are (along with the motherboards) in South Africa.

After 4.0ghz the voltage had to go really high to get stable. 4.2ghz was stable at 1.50v. Not ALL I7 920's overclock to 4.3ghz with 1.40-1.45v.
At 4.0ghz, it take 1.40 Vcore for 100% stabilitly and is my daily OC.

:rolleyes: X58 extreme is $170-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163&cm_re=x58-_-13-157-163-_-Product

It was $160 last time you blasted me about the price of it.

As for the ram, well just a quick search but I found it to be almost $50 more for a tri channel 6gb kit VS dual channel 4gb. $99 vs $146

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190

So, anyone on the east cost is S.O.L. for microcenter, so thats $90 + $55 + $47=$192 difference for I5 vs I7.

Oh guess I should throw in the tri channel 3gb kit just for comparison- ($86)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231222

Last edited:

87dtna

What does it matter, you can understand what he stand right?, cause i know i can and i skim though it, come on this isn't English class.:confused:

Really dude...

No I honestly have no clue what he said or the point he was trying to make!

You won't see me bashing for anything like a typo or a simple mispelled word, but that was completely broken english to the point where I could not read it correctly.

Jet

VIP Member
After 4.0ghz the voltage had to go really high to get stable. 4.2ghz was stable at 1.50v. Not ALL I7 920's overclock to 4.3ghz with 1.40-1.45v.
At 4.0ghz, it take 1.40 Vcore for 100% stabilitly.

Actually, my processor isn't that great--most current i7 920s (D0s), require less voltage than mine.

:rolleyes: X58 extreme is $170-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163&cm_re=x58-_-13-157-163-_-Product

It was $160 last time you blasted me about the price of it.

87dtna said:
I just said my p55 board was $115 and most 1366 boards are over 200, cpu is $200 instead of $290, and ram is cheaper too.

I was taking this $115 price (which is the open box price at Newegg) and directly comparing it to the open box price of the ASRock X58.

ASRock X58 Extreme: $169/$118
ASRock P55 Extreme: $149/$112

Thus, it's +$20 new price, +$6 open box price.

As for the ram, well just a quick search but I found it to be almost $50 more for a tri channel 6gb kit VS dual channel 4gb. $99 vs $146

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190

Oh guess I should throw in the tri channel 3gb kit just for comparison- ($86)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231222

Exactly my point: Price per GB:

6GB @ $150 = $25/GB
4GB @ $100 = $25/GB
3GB @ $86 = $28.6/GB

You'll pay more or less for memory....and it scales perfectly. You pay more, you get more. You pay less, you get less.

So, anyone on the east cost is S.O.L. for microcenter, so thats $90 + $55 + $47=$192 difference for I5 vs I7.

Processor difference: $50-$90
Motherboard difference: $6-20
Memory difference: $0

Overall difference: $56-$110.

BigSteve702

actually, my processor isn't that great--most current i7 920s (d0s), require less voltage than mine.

I was taking this $115 price (which is the open box price at newegg) and directly comparing it to the open box price of the asrock x58.

Asrock x58 extreme: $169/$118
asrock p55 extreme: $149/$112

thus, it's +$20 new price, +$6 open box price.

Exactly my point: Price per gb:

6gb @ $150 = $25/gb
4gb @ $100 = $25/gb
3gb @ $86 = $28.6/gb

you'll pay more or less for memory....and it scales perfectly. You pay more, you get more. You pay less, you get less.

motherboard difference: $6-20
memory difference: $0

overall difference: $56-$110.

boom!

Computer_Freak

Here the Mobos are the same price (im gonna be getting either a Biostar, ASUS, or Gigabyte)

the CPU hasa difference of $110

thats the only difference

I guess ill just go i7....

canivari

I'm not trying to be rude Canivari but it is courteous to use correct spelling in the forums rather than the english mutilations used by many who are texting.

I think that we dont get along very well discussing hardware do we?
And i just realize that we are talking about two totally diferent things.
I am talking about multi-tasking and you are talking about calculations
and thats totally diferent things.
You are talking about the speed that one CPU can make maths per second and i am talking of the speed that he can 'talk' with other components
when stressed.
I never said that your CPU (I5) is an bad CPU, and probably is better than mines (we got to accept that there are other CPUs that can manage better with MMC and the RAM than others (and thats why I7 is more expensive then I5).
I can see that you are happy with yours and that is good,probably i would be happy with one of those too, but dont tell Computer_Freak that the I5 and I7 are just a diference of 2 secs (in everything that both can do) because they are not.

2048Megabytes

Don't buy a Biostar motherboard. They are known for making lesser quality motherboards. Asus and Gigabyte make much better motherboards.

87dtna

Actually, my processor isn't that great--most current i7 920s (D0s), require less voltage than mine.

I was taking this $115 price (which is the open box price at Newegg) and directly comparing it to the open box price of the ASRock X58.

ASRock X58 Extreme: $169/$118
ASRock P55 Extreme: $149/$112

Thus, it's +$20 new price, +$6 open box price.

Exactly my point: Price per GB:

6GB @ $150 = $25/GB
4GB @ $100 = $25/GB
3GB @ $86 = $28.6/GB

You'll pay more or less for memory....and it scales perfectly. You pay more, you get more. You pay less, you get less.

Motherboard difference: $6-20
Memory difference: $0

Overall difference: $56-$110.

Yes D0 stepping, what about others? My I5 isn't even close to the best at all, plus I'm on a super cheap mobo. I'm waiting for the UD7 to come out.

I NEVER buy open box, and open boxes aren't always there so you cannot go by that.
And I was referring to my P55 pro board anyway not the extreme, which is $115 new retail. As long as you only run one strong card, you are fine.

Yeah of course price per gig is the same, yes you get more but bottom line is you have to pay more up front to build an I7 rig.

Computer_Freak

Ive got a Biostar and its fine.

and the T-Power X58 has the best layout of any i have seen...

but ill end up going ASUS or Gigabyte. Ill go gigabyte if the supplier to stores here will sell it to me (under my dads company)

Computer_Freak

what do you guys think about MSI motherboards?

I know the Distributers here, and i can get MSI mobos for less than $100 than the shop price

87dtna

MSI is decent quality. Their support is whats bad. As long as you don't have to RMA anything, or get one thinking you'll get a mail in rebate back you'll be OK.

Jet

VIP Member
Yes D0 stepping, what about others? My I5 isn't even close to the best at all, plus I'm on a super cheap mobo. I'm waiting for the UD7 to come out.

It's extremely rare to get anything other than a D0 unless you buy used--C0 is pretty much extinct.

I NEVER buy open box, and open boxes aren't always there so you cannot go by that.

Suit yourself. I'm not going to spend $170 on a motherboard I can get for $120, just like I'm not going to spend $200+ on a water cooling system that I can get for $70. I'm the kind of person who is on a college budget and values every dollar.

And I was referring to my P55 pro board anyway not the extreme, which is $115 new retail. As long as you only run one strong card, you are fine.

I'd be nice if you'd clarify that in the first place ;).

Yeah of course price per gig is the same

3GB is cheaper than 4GB.

[the] bottom line is you have to pay more up front to build an I7 rig.

In general, yes.

87dtna

It's extremely rare to get anything other than a D0 unless you buy used--C0 is pretty much extinct.

ok whatever

Suit yourself. I'm not going to spend $170 on a motherboard I can get for $120, just like I'm not going to spend $200+ on a water cooling system that I can get for $70. I'm the kind of person who is on a college budget and values every dollar.

Well what we have to ask is if the OP feels comfortable buying an open box or not. It doesn't matter if you do. Do open boxes come with warranties? Besides the 30 day return warranty I mean. Thats the biggest issue.
But, the other point I just said, since you seemingly overlooked it here, is that open boxes are not always available.

I'd be nice if you'd clarify that in the first place ;).

LOL, thats what I thought I did when I said ''I recommend the board I have'' :eek:

3GB is cheaper than 4GB.

Umm we were talking price per gig, in which case 3gb is MORE expensive...drrrr

In general, yes.

In general? More like...everytime.

Computer_Freak

k guys, i need to know about MSi quality

87dtna, thanks for your reply. Seeing as ill get it straight from the distributer, If i have any problems, i will just take it to them, and get it replaced (after they test to see that it doesnt work)

Which one of these would you buy?

I can get a:

MSi P55 GD80 + i5 750 for R3500 ($478)

or

MSi P55 GD65 + i5 750 for R3000 ($410)

I know prices here are very expensive, but, its still MUCH cheaper than what ill get in stores.... Im leaning toward the GD80, as it has better cooling (and im also assuming better quality components) so ill get a better OC.

But if my dad feels its too expensive, would there be anything wrong with the GD65?

Last edited:

87dtna

I would go for the GD80. I don't particularly know about the MSI boards too much, but you honestly really can't go spending more. When it comes to motherboards, you pretty much get what you pay for.

I believe my ASRock board is somewhat of an exception. It still doesn't have some options of the high end boards but I was pleasantly surprised at what it did have. And overclockability has been great, can't complain about getting to 200 BCLCK with no voltage increases whatsoever on a $115 motherboard!

tt2ent

I have the MSI GD85 and its straight up nasty. Looks freagin sweet. Has USB 3 w\3x power, SATAver3, a button that automatically overclocks your cpu and ram and then you have a - and + buttons on the motherboard itself that raise the base clock.
Also it has power and reset button on the motherboard itself. just nasty dude, just nasty..
O and also the heatsinks in this thing are huge.
It has a dedicated chip to give you 2 of the pci e 2.0 slots @ 16x, powered 3x more, and SATA3 all at the same time. That was the weak point of the 1156 p55 setup before the NEC chip that does this.