i7 Temps worry

mihir

VIP Member
Well i Ran the torture test (i7 920) of prime95 and as measured by core temp my temperatures were for all cores 97-99degreeC with 100% load but the core 1 temp kept switching b/w 99Degrees to 228degrees is it normal i am seriously worried about the temps please advice what should i do.My CPU idles at 54Degrees

Jamin43

banned
That's way too high. Mine was running warm with OEM cpu cooler and it peaked at around 82 degrees

I think your CPU cooler isn't seated well. Did you clean off the thermal paste accidentally? Or is the fan in the heatsink not spining?

A new CPU cooler may be in order - but I'd still want to know what's causing it to get so hot first.

funkysnair

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1464542 said:
That doesn't sound right, the computer would have shut down if it hit 99C, what does the BIOS report for temps?

not so true i dont think, i tested my i7 [email protected] using standard cooling and it was hittin 100oC with no shutdown, just before i got my new liquid cooling stuff (just to see the difference)

mihir

VIP Member
That's way too high. Mine was running warm with OEM cpu cooler and it peaked at around 82 degrees

I think your CPU cooler isn't seated well. Did you clean off the thermal paste accidentally? Or is the fan in the heatsink not spining?

A new CPU cooler may be in order - but I'd still want to know what's causing it to get so hot first.

Nope didnt clean off the paste and it is seated well but the cable management isint that great

mihir

VIP Member

I am not sure about the fan seating will check it out now what else could be the reason i use the coolermaster ordinary thermal paste which thermal paste do you recomend and i applied the paste as per omega's tutorial and am pretty sure it applied correctly.

funkysnair

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1464563 said:
You are correct, I researched online and the max temp is actually 100C.

yeh that would be 100c accross all for cores though, i had one of my cores on 100cc

mine was hitting the same temps but overclocked and i belive mihir's is a little above stock which is a bit alarming really....

you need to make sure there is good ventelation in your case and that the heatsink is mounted properly, i would advise for you to re apply thermal paste (good quality stuff) then try prime95 again

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Well I live in Pune,Maharashtra India
where the temperature in noon is close to 45C and my AC also isint woring so the is it normal or not

funkysnair

VIP Member
it doesnt matter what your temps are in your country, you need to get suitable cooling for your enviroment

you live in a hot country you want a decent cooler end of!!!!

you prob wont stress your cpu 100% in waht you do so you might be fine but for me knowing that my processor was capable of running temps up to 100c i bought £500 worth of liquid cooling equipment, i would suggest you re-apply your thermal compaond with AS5 first and if there is no difference look into a aftermarket cooler

Last edited:

87dtna

Good lord 45c ambient, no wonder you have a 54c idle. That sounds normal then, about 8c over ambient is fine. You still need to get a better cooler though for the load temps. You should consider water cooling, maybe even single stage phase change if you can afford it.

susik89

I wouldn't use Arctic Silver 5 for i7 920 it doesn't perform that well. I'd go with something like IC Diamond 7, Shin-Etsu, or OCZ Freeze. Try one of these, reseat the heatsink, and see the temps then. If that doesn't help then you need to get aftermarket cooler.

mihir

VIP Member
Good lord 45c ambient, no wonder you have a 54c idle. That sounds normal then, about 8c over ambient is fine. You still need to get a better cooler though for the load temps. You should consider water cooling, maybe even single stage phase change if you can afford it.

Would a Corsair H50 do the job

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
some people have good results with the corsair but im still not sure on its cooling potential (not to mention your room temps)...

if i did buy it i would replace the fan with a higher quality fan and put 2 on in a push pull configuration!