i7 Temps worry

Gabe63

My last query
I have an asus p6t deluxe mobo and 3 ram sticks with A-A-A slot occupation
i am wondering whether the 2 fan conifg of the thermal right will get in the way of may RAMs and also the same question about noctua nh d14 I checked out guru3d's review and it beats thermalright by a slight margin so i will be considering both of them and will deciding factor will be availability thanks for all the help

For ref my system below uses the P6T MOBO and Noctua (see sig) cooler. Not RAM clearance issue.

mihir

VIP Member
I used the thermal fusion 400 paste and my idle temps are now 46C and my 100% load temps are 87C

mihir

VIP Member
Is there something known as a HOT CHIP
cause i have been reading through some Indian forums and some i7 chips turned out be hotter than the normal ones is it some kind of a manufacturing defect or all chips are equal and everything depends on other factors

mihir

VIP Member
I bought the TRUE 120 and an Coolermaster R4 single fan Push Comfiguration.
I am getting temps like 38C Idle and 62-63C 100% load

mihir

VIP Member
seriously thank god for the cooler
But even after the cooler I think its pretty hot but I guess I have a hot chip and will have to live with it and I will soon get the Scythe Ultra Kaze 120 in a push pull config

mihir

VIP Member
seriously thank god for the cooler
But even after the cooler I think its pretty hot but I guess I have a hot chip and will have to live with it and I will soon get the Scythe Ultra Kaze 120 in a push pull config

87dtna

Those Temps you mentioned better be in Fahrenheit ;)

They are celsius. 100f is like nothing to a CPU, I7's typically idle that hot (unless you are at stock clocks with a pretty good cooler)

I hit 100c all the time while benching even with a good cooler but with a high overclock/overvolt.

At 4.2ghz and 1.3925 Vcore, my I7 hits about 80c even with the Zerotherm Zen cooler....which is a pretty good cooler (solid copper base, 8 heat pipes and 120mm fan size). The stock cooler that comes with an I7 is an absolute joke, it's a worthless piece of crap. I think Intel just knows that everyone trashes them anyway.

One other thing to recognize here, Real temp uses the CORE temperature, not the cpu temperature. The core temp typically runs about 20-30c hotter than the actual temp that the CPU is outside. And also, Intel CPU's create more heat but they also can handle more heat than AMD cpu's.

mihir

VIP Member
So what do you guys think should I overclock my CPU.
And if yes till how much should I overclock and also I cant find a guide specific to i7 920 overclock to a given clock speed all the guides are to overclock to 4.0GHz so since I am an overclocking noob I dont know whether what vcore voltage to set or what core pll voltage or what DRAM voltage and QPI voltage and also what does the term "vid" means.

mihir

VIP Member
Thanks that is a really nice guide will read through it.

And should I overclock or not as I am getting 39C Idle temps
Ambient temp 25C

FuryRosewood

to be totally honest, i think overclocking is overrated, unless your seeing a *need* for it, i wouldnt bother, i tend to get more problems when running clocked...as my dad says, if its not broke, dont fix it.

mihir

VIP Member
I know its totally pointless for the core i7 920 for gaming purposes as 25% is the max I have ever seen it go with GTA IV that is it but still wanted to experience it once

Intel_man

VIP Member
to be totally honest, i think overclocking is overrated, unless your seeing a *need* for it, i wouldnt bother, i tend to get more problems when running clocked...as my dad says, if its not broke, dont fix it.

So you're suggesting me not to overclock my old Core 2 Duo that runs at 1.86?

hell jumping from 2.6 to 3.6 is a huge boost in performance for the 920 let alone my old E6300 conroe.

mihir

VIP Member
so should i overclock at my temps or should I just wait till I RMA the chip since it is clearly defective as it is not supposed to go to 100C on load

mihir

VIP Member
100C load on stock clocks and stock cooler and 62-64C load with the TRUE single fan push config

salvage-this

so should i overclock at my temps or should I just wait till I RMA the chip since it is clearly defective as it is not supposed to go to 100C on load

If you overclock the chip it will void the warranty and you will not be able to RMA it.