I'm considering a new e-mail provider

PC eye

banned
I have Firefox on here with a custom toolbar since that can be made right clicking on the menu bar and choosing the customize option. There you simply click the add toolbar option. In the top section the plugins are selected at Mozilla like the Yahoo, ask.com, and other along with Google. Just trying to get the search going has been one problem after making the selection.

While you have been trying to locate a new email provider I have been trying to find a way to add a second search window to a custom toolbar in Firefox. The image here will show how one default search window combines 7 different search engines at times rather then the one at a time approach. http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/1421/firefoxtoolbarskn1.jpg

PC eye

banned
Firefox has the option to create an addon toolbar but lacks the search window like the one seen on the IE addon there. The one used on IE 7 here combines the results from 7 search engines in one search while you would to run 7 separate searches with the Firefox plugins with the Google search window. Plus the Infospace bar has a few other features like the white and yellow pages directories to add to that. :D

I couldn't wait for the full version of IE 7 to come out since it cuts down on a lot of crap you run into on searches and best yet is you don't whammied with trojans like IE 6 saw! :eek: not again! But finding a way to get Infospace on Firefox??? It remains a mystery still. :(

Del

Competition will see to it that FF get a similar and likely batter tool bar. (at least for version 2, I choose to stick with the first becaue I heard bad things about the second.)

PC eye

banned
The lack of a combined search engine on the custom toolbar kind of hampers things there. It also works on Netscape but leaves Opera and Firefox out. The one thing I did notice is when you enter a search term in the default search window nothing happens when you select a plugin and click on the icon. This is another reason for wanting the added toolbar. But this seen on Vista and not XP.

Del

I tried bluebottle and the pop-up for compose didn't always work. I'm working with a crappy ISP so I need a provider that doesn't flipout over constant page refreshing and link clicking before the page loads.
I'm using inbox.com but when I do click to another page I can't change my mind and click a different one, like you can with most repular sites. There is also a loading page to the e-mail page and the link under 'one unread message' on the homepage is 'learn more' not 'read e-mail'.

I know I sounds rediculously picky but I am and I'm not someone who can easily switch e-mails. I have wayy toooo many accounts on too many different sites to fully switch until something big happens and I need to switch again.

PC eye

banned
I'm glad for one free email since the regular ISP account has been getting hammered with spam lately despite new rules and other filters set. At least inbox.com separates spam mail in a different folder for the amount seen there. As for the ISP address the "block domain" list is always over flowing since they use wandering IPs for sending out batches.

By your description of slow refresh rates I assume you are on a dialup and not dsl or cable there. But even with a faster service you can still see slowdowns when the volume of online traffic starts bogging down on the ISP's own servers or the site you are on.

Del

Dial-up and dieing computer(thanks to me).

If I use a computer regularly for 6 mounth is starts to die, that's why I need an online-based e-mail that I'll stick with for more than 6 months. I was on Outlook and the ISPs e-mail but when my computer went down I didn't pay attention.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
There are plenty of free email providers. Unfortunately most will start seeing a ton of spam once you start using the account regularly and especially after giving it out when going to registar for something or simply browsing various sites that put web host tracking "cookies"(text files) on your system. Some will provide spam mail folders and some don't as mentioned earlier. Usually I have one or more setup for diverting spam to that rather then another.

Del

SPAM, I can live with, I'm (or at least was) more than used to it. It's just that I need an extremly compatable service that I can depend on... for more than 6 months. I switch computers so I really have enough problems with that I can't do e-mail switching too often. I just need something at is made for dial-up and barely running computers... but that isn't a big niche.

PC eye

banned
The accounts there don't need any installation on your system. Like any other you log onto those email accounts the same way you would here or at some other place. You just have to remember the user name and password once you have it created or... :confused: "why didn't I write it down?" :( ut oh!

There you would have to have a second email address to have either user name or password sent to if you forgot one or the other. Then you have to make sure of your contacts have the new address to send mail there starting before the present is discontinued.

Del

Ya, but there is still load time and my 'click before the page fully loads' method that usually gets me to click the wrong link.

PC eye

banned
Once you log into your email account you can set that as your home page to save time there. You can easily drag the site's IE icon seen on the address bar over to "links" or click the "add" button to add it into your favorites. Clicking on another link before a page loads will do that to anyone with or without dialup. You always have to wait even on dsl or cable.

heyman421

banned
I like my aol mail. It's only $5 a month to keep your e-mail address after you cancel your aol account, and i can check my mail with outlook/thunderbird so i don't have to use a crap internet based gui to check my mail.

heyman421

banned
oh, and hotmail lets you check with a pop3 program, as well

but now i think they switched to imap, and charge $10 a year or something like that

but $10 a year is a small price to pay for not having to go to the website every damn time you want to check your mail.

I LOATHE web-based mail.

PC eye

banned
I like knocking out the "SPAM" seen by logging into the ISP account before it floods OE or TBird leaving traces there and alerting web hosts the account is active. Once they know the spam just keeps coming and coming despite the ISP's supposed filters? :confused: HAR! That's a joke! :rolleyes: In addition to seeing the ISP's "block domain" list overflowing junk mail has to be individually set for automatic deletion one at a time once "they know" you have an account! That has to be applied to each piece of junk mail. On FM none is seen period or you can report much easier. :D

Punk

Staff member
I like my aol mail. It's only $5 a month to keep your e-mail address after you cancel your aol account, and i can check my mail with outlook/thunderbird so i don't have to use a crap internet based gui to check my mail.

My Gmail reads my webmails (from my domain name for example) which is cool because I use a lot Gmail... :D

PC eye

banned
What they do there is put a flashing ad banner on the page itself rather then fill your inbox. The ads change while you are looking over any of your incoming mail on the free account only. Even with Hotmail you'll see ads since those support the service there. The screen capture here shows you how easy it is to get an account setup. You may even want to setup a few acounts at different sites to have one for diverting spam to and have one like this for private mail "spam free"!