Im getting bored of my Video Card

DrCuddles

That looks so nice, its just so smooth and funky :) Gareth defiantely has the one on the left in the link i showed you but a Laptop version, its the same one though :)

It looks different, but is it the same Spec as the one in that link?

Kornowski

VIP Member
That looks so nice, its just so smooth and funky Gareth defiantely has the one on the left in the link i showed you but a Laptop version, its the same one though

It looks different, but is it the same Spec as the one in that link?

Thanks, it's great card!

Gareth doesn't have an 8800 in his laptop!

Check the +12 rail on your PSU, if it isn't good enough you can't get that card, or you'd have to get a PSU

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Kornowski wants the Amperage on the +12 volt rail. Look for a number followed by A or amps next to the +12 volt rail on the side of your PSU. It's possible you have more than one +12 volt rail so list all the amps you see.. BUT don't worry about the -12 volt rail, it doesn't count.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Kornowski wants the Amperage on the +12 volt rail. Look for a number followed by A or amps next to the +12 volt rail on the side of your PSU. It's possible you have more than one +12 volt rail so list all the amps

Yes, Exactly, Thank you :D

DrCuddles

OK screw it Here is a pic of the sticker on the side of me PSU (memo to self, dont knock Sata HDD cable while Box is open, BSODs arent very nice :()

DSC00223.jpg

This should tell you everything!!!

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldnt he need a better processor than the Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20 Ghz because wouldnt it cause a bottleneck if he was getting a 8800?

Jack Bauer

banned
Wouldnt he need a better processor than the Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20 Ghz because wouldnt it cause a bottleneck if he was getting a 8800?

Yes but if he were to get that card I would upgrade the powersupply first. There will be a bottleneck but you will still be able to play games pretty damn good with that card.

DrCuddles

Yes but if he were to get that card I would upgrade the powersupply first. There will be a bottleneck but you will still be able to play games pretty damn good with that card.

Cool! so now, what Power supply should i go for, any suggestions?

Jack Bauer

banned
No......wait, why are you guys putting an 8800 with an A64 3500+? I sense bottleneck.

It will be a bottleneck but it wont be that bad he will still be able to play games maxed out just not on the highest resolutions. But he has 3 GB of ram which should help even out that bottleneck.

DrCuddles

Keep the advice coming, this is great stuff :)

I still wanna know what power supply i should go for, coz i didnt even know anything about the 12v Railings thing :confused:

Kornowski

VIP Member
OK screw it Here is a pic of the sticker on the side of me PSU (memo to self, dont knock Sata HDD cable while Box is open, BSODs arent very nice :()

DSC00223.jpg

This should tell you everything!!!

As I suspected, the PSU is no-where near enough!

No......wait, why are you guys putting an 8800 with an A64 3500+? I sense bottleneck.

I totally agree with that, it'd be a huge bottleneck!

It will be a bottleneck but it wont be that bad he will still be able to play games maxed out just not on the highest resolutions. But he has 3 GB of ram which should help even out that bottleneck.

You can't keep trying to 'boost' your PC's performance, especially an 8800 with PC3200 RAM :p

Jack Bauer

banned
As I suspected, the PSU is no-where near enough!

I totally agree with that, it'd be a huge bottleneck!

You can't keep trying to 'boost' your PC's performance, especially an 8800 with PC3200 RAM :p

It wont be that bad of a bottleneck for now until you get a new cpu cause if he were to get a new cpu he would need a new motherboard and ram. So I would get the videocard now which will be able to play games pretty good and then upgrade the cpu later when you get more money.

And this videocard is 10x better than the current one he has so he should be able to play games way better than he has been.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i would wait a bit until you can afford a new mobo & C2D....then by that time the 8800 might have gone down in price a little bit.:confused: