Im getting bored of my Video Card

hermeslyre

VIP Member
So, let me get this right, two SLI'd 8800's used 400watt, so I wouldn't have anything left for my other stuff.

Well, Some people said that I couldn't run my curreny system on the Antec, Wrong :p People often overkill on their PSU!

The tests counted the watt consumption of the entire system, with a HDD, RAM, etc.. So unless you have some phase cooling in mind i wouldn't know what other stuff you'd need:p

I found it!
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=405
It actually goes over 400w when under heavy load but thats with the FX60.. official requirements are: A 400W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more, but the requirements usually are a bit over whats realistically needed. :cool:

edit: No 8800gts yet.. no it's ok, i understand....lol :p

Last edited:
i would wait a bit until you can afford a new mobo & C2D....then by that time the 8800 might have gone down in price a little bit.:confused:

I am in that boat, you should wait on newer components. I am not pairing an 8800 with anything except Core 2 Duo's, 85 & 8600's can go with Pentium D. That is why ppl are disappointed in the 8800 Ultra, the processors of today can't reach great speed with it.

Kornowski

VIP Member
The tests counted the watt consumption of the entire system, with a HDD, RAM, etc.. So unless you have some phase cooling in mind i wouldn't know what other stuff you'd need

I found it!
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=405
It actually goes over 400w when under heavy load but thats with the FX60.. official requirements are: A 400W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more, but the requirements usually are a bit over whats realistically needed.

edit: No 8800gts yet.. no it's ok, i understand....lol

I get you now, Thats pretty good actually, it's allways nice to know that I have the option there :)

DrCuddles

I am in that boat, you should wait on newer components. I am not pairing an 8800 with anything except Core 2 Duo's, 85 & 8600's can go with Pentium D. That is why ppl are disappointed in the 8800 Ultra, the processors of today can't reach great speed with it.

So you think that i should upgrade to a C2D and get a new mobo before getting a new gfx card?

If i do that are their any mobos out there that can take my RAM, id hate to waster it i only bought it a few months ago and it is a big 3GB

Kornowski

VIP Member
So you think that i should upgrade to a C2D and get a new mobo before getting a new gfx card?

If i do that are their any mobos out there that can take my RAM, id hate to waster it i only bought it a few months ago and it is a big 3GB

I think it'd be wise, you don't want an excellent GPU and not be able to use it properly, This is getting very expensive, new PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU and maybe RAM.

DrCuddles

I think it'd be wise, you don't want an excellent GPU and not be able to use it properly, This is getting very expensive, new PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU and maybe RAM.

Im in need of an upgrade on my pc anyway so i dont mind replaing alot of compnonets for better ones :D

Ok, so here is a list of what i think i should get:

Novatech GeForce 8800GTS 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock)

Hiper Type R Modular 530W, Sli Cert, Black, APFC

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2 x 2.4Ghz 4Mb Cache 1066 FSB Dual Core Processor

But i dont know what motherboard to go for...?

Any suggestions? If any, would you make any changes to what i have chosen?

Try to keep it under £500 but i will consider components if you go over

Last edited:

DrCuddles

Thats perfect!!!

so i should go for

Novatech GeForce 8800GTS 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock) - £190.59

Hiper Type R Modular 530W, Sli Cert, Black, APFC - £57.58

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2 x 2.4Ghz 4Mb Cache 1066 FSB Dual Core Processor - £151.57

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA PT880 Ultra Socket 775 SATA 8 channel audio ATX - £39.68

Thats £190.59 + £57.58 + £151.57 + £39.68 = £439.42

Part 1: Im going to go for the Mobo and the CPU first so thats £151.57 + £39.68 = £191.25

Part 2: Then the rest £190.59 + £57.58 = £248.17

So could save up and get Part 1 then have a faster PC, save up and get Part 2 and have better Gfx, Does that sound like what i should do?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thats perfect!!!

...Yeah, You're welcome :cool:

Do you not think you're rushing into this, I said your card was bad, no you're wanting to buy a whole new PC... It's a bit of an impulse buy.

C'mon, that thing is rubbish! :p

Hey! This thing has kept me going through all my games!!! not failed me once and i did get it November 2005!!!

But yea i do need an upgrade :) i think ill get one pretty soon, wonder waht i should get... dont answer that here i think ill ask in a new thread :)

See!

Last edited:

DrCuddles

So dan, do you think i should buy the components in the order i said there,

Step 1 then Step 2?

Im going to college now but will deffo check back after, about 3:30 to 4:00 ish :)

DrCuddles

I think ill go for that which i said :)
Thanks for your help guys, :D by the time i've got me CPU and MoBo then saved up the extra moneyz ill be able to get a better card :)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I think he's caught up in ugrading now.. You know how that can be. He's got an alright plan and i dunno if we can change his mind at this point. :p :)

Okay, look, Nevakonaza, Kornowski, and Me, all told you the same thing. Which was,"wait until you get an upgrade". You are not gonna see the full effect from an 8800 with an A64 3500+, it won't happen. You need to wait until you get a better CPU, C2D or an high AMD X2, the Phenom in Q3. This is the final time I am going to tell you.

hermeslyre, I saw his plan, it looked good. I hope he actually sticks with it.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Okay, look, Nevakonaza, Kornowski, and Me, all told you the same thing. Which was,"wait until you get an upgrade". You are not gonna see the full effect from an 8800 with an A64 3500+, it won't happen. You need to wait until you get a better CPU, C2D or an high AMD X2, the Phenom in Q3. This is the final time I am going to tell you.

You don't have to tell him again. That's what he's doing. He is simply asking for more advice on the components he should get, etc.

hermeslyre, I saw his plan, it looked good. I hope he actually sticks with it.

Wait, if you knew he was taking your advice why reiterate?

Dual_Corex2

banned
If your going from a 6600LE to an 8800 of any kind, hold onto your seat belt....its gonna be one hell of a ride! :D

I went from a FX 5200 to a 6800nu and it blew my mind! But this was about 2 years ago lol.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Do you not think you're rushing into this, I said your card was bad, no you're wanting to buy a whole new PC... It's a bit of an impulse buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornowski
C'mon, that thing is rubbish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCuddles
Hey! This thing has kept me going through all my games!!! not failed me once and i did get it November 2005!!!

But yea i do need an upgrade i think ill get one pretty soon, wonder waht i should get... dont answer that here i think ill ask in a new thread

See!

There, thats what you've ignored...