Input On a New Build Appreciated

StrangleHold

Staff member
I've bolded the parts that I don't understand for you :D

Some of the Athlon II X4 are a Phenom II with the L3 disabled, you can have the chance to enable it the same way you enable the core on the 720. The newer ones (Propus core) have no L3 cache at all.

The only thing with the Athlon II X4, if you cant enable L3 or get one with out it. It take a pretty big hit in performance with a program/game that likes cache.

StrangleHold

Staff member
For a 100 bucks its hard to beat. That is if you get the 620. For the price of the 630 you might as well get the 720.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Alright, then I'll get the 620? And can you tell me how to enable the cache in the Vista BIOS? I'm not yet familiar with it.
Bios isnt vista, its the Basic Input Output System on the motherboard. Its where you change settings, overclock, change memory timings/voltages, time/date/ etc. When you turn a computer on and it says "Press delete to enter setup", that would be the bios.

Stoic Sentinel

Yeah, that. Will it be blatantly obvious in the "setup"? If the L3 cache is disabled, will it say enable or will I have to navigate through the entire thing?

bomberboysk

Yeah, that. Will it be blatantly obvious in the "setup"? If the L3 cache is disabled, will it say enable or will I have to navigate through the entire thing?
No, its actually a flaw in the bios that causes you to be able to unlock it.

In the bios there will be an option called "Advanced Clock Calibration" or ACC. Set that to auto, and if its unlockable it will unlock the cache.

StrangleHold

Staff member
On that Gigabyte board you set ACC to Hybird and the cores to Auto. Same way you enable the cores I showed you early to enable the cache.