installed new mobo and lights flicker wont start

mtb211

they stay on and move really slow, i read somewhere it could be the mounting screws under the motherboard but that cant be correct right?

I had a problem before when the fans would flicker for a few seconds but then the pc would boot fine and handle extreme loads

I bet this is something simple but Im not sure, I could probally take a video of it and post it if that would help

Try taking out the CMOS Battery for like 15 seconds then put back in... i had this problem back on my build 2 yrs ago.. i called the MOBO manufacturer and they told me to do that and it fixed everything... goodluck

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you swapped the boards out did you make sure all the standoffs were in the right places? Plug in CPU power connector?

mtb211

i responded in the wrong forum :p
my motherboard standoffs are just random underneath... I cant seem to find enough laying around, my mobo did not come with any either (stand offs are the little yellow screws under your motherboard right?)

could this honestly cause a problem? how do I know the correct areas to put them?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Even if you dont have enough standoffs,(but enough to support the board) Only put them under the holes with grounding strips. If you dont they will ground out on the bottom of the board.

3849031959_02478cee1d.jpg

Under just these.
moboscrew.jpg

smoothforprez

i responded in the wrong forum :p
my motherboard standoffs are just random underneath... I cant seem to find enough laying around, my mobo did not come with any either (stand offs are the little yellow screws under your motherboard right?)

could this honestly cause a problem? how do I know the correct areas to put them?

the stand offs are okay if you're missing some just not if you're covering stand offs that aren't in use.(if that makes sense)

does the computer work with the mother board outside the case?
did you bend the little tabs on the i/o shield?
which ram slots did you populate?

mtb211

I populated the blue slots for the ram, so if there are standoffs inserted under the motherboard but im not using them, then this is bad?

smoothforprez

I populated the blue slots for the ram, so if there are standoffs inserted under the motherboard but im not using them, then this is bad?

try populate just the white ones(i learned that earlier);)

yes if you have extra ones under the board remove those

StrangleHold

Staff member
Use the White slots if your only running two sticks. Yes, its a no no to have standoffs where there is no hole. Ground out!

mtb211

okay im almost done, the screws dont need to be perfectly straight right?

probally let you know if 20 minutes :p

mtb211

okay I did all that and its still doing the same thing, now the led lights on the mobo light up just really quick, hmmm this is sooo strange....

The 4 pin cpu power socket, i have two of those on my motherboard, I have cpu1 and cpu2 plugged in from my power supply to the mobo...

as long as i have the power connected 4 pin , plus 20+4, all the hardrive and cdvroms connected, It should boot right?

The only thing i was unsure about was connecting the case pins to the motherboard, it was a bit confusing, but if i screwed it up I wouldnt get any power right?

Is there anything i am missing?

smoothforprez

this may sound really simple but make sure all the cords are in the right spot and make sure you flick the switch on the power supply

mtb211

im pretty sure everything is in the right place, ive done this before... unless somethign has changed... All my fans go on, my keyboard flickers and my leds on my case flicker, when I unplug the back of the power supply the computer goes to a full boot for a second after its unplugged but then it goes off, obviously... I used to unplug and plug the back of my power supply to get the computer booted once in a while... but it always worked... someone told me it was the cmos battery and thats how he fixed his but I do not know anymore, I have a bunch of extra cords from my power supply but im pretty sure i do not need to use any of these

mtb211

wait wait wait, bend the little tabs on the i/o shield... what do you mean by that? The little plastic piece you put in the back of the case? i just pushed it in... did do anything else

smoothforprez

wait wait wait, bend the little tabs on the i/o shield... what do you mean by that? The little plastic piece you put in the back of the case? i just pushed it in... did do anything else

yeah that thing(the metal tabs should all be at 90' angles) but i dont think the problem is that simple

try each ram stick one at a time in the first white slot

mtb211

yeah that didnt do anything too..... when i unplug the plug in the back of the motherboard it goes full power for a second then stops, this is so weird...

Right now I have the 20+4 connector in

I have the two cpu 4 pins in

Sata drives in

No ide of any kind

Could this be input wires from the case? IE HD LED or PWR

mtb211

what about the pins for sys fan or pwr fan, I do not have those hooked up does that matter?

The cpu fan now spins for like 2 seconds then stops :?