installed new mobo and lights flicker wont start

mtb211

yeah man i tried the cmos battery too, the cpu fan barly spins at all now

What kind of power supply do you have? i want to make sure its the power supply before i buy a new one, is there a way I can test it?

mtb211

all the letters are facing the cpu, red is positive, black is negative, i dont know what the hell green is

smoothforprez

yeah man i tried the cmos battery too, the cpu fan barly spins at all now

What kind of power supply do you have? i want to make sure its the power supply before i buy a new one, is there a way I can test it?

i have a 600w thermaltake

not really sure how you would test it though

mtb211

hmmm, is the red wire positive or negative on yours? is it possible this could be the problem? i just thought it wouldnt start if i tried that

thx for the help man, i appreciate it

StrangleHold

Staff member
You sure you got the standoffs in the right places?

The case power switch wire goes on the PW+/PW- pins, not the PRW pins.

The Case power LED goes on the PRW pins

mtb211

I think i have the standoffs in the right places,

im kinda lost on the case input , could that be the problem? do I need to have the hardrive led in and all that, is there a way i could just test the power button?

smoothforprez

hmmm, is the red wire positive or negative on yours? is it possible this could be the problem? i just thought it wouldnt start if i tried that

thx for the help man, i appreciate it

i'm retarded when it comes to electrical current so i never learned which wires were + and - without those symbols. i just remembered reading a review that said this board was reversed from usual so i put mine with the words facing down and it worked

bigrich0086

WAIT A SECOND. DIDNT your motherboard come with the ASUS quick connect for easy installation of case wires.

The white piece in picture. ALL Asus boards come with it now. Just match the words with wires and thats it.

EDIT. EACH case wire if you look is labled with a + or - on the plug.

quick%20connect%20terminal%20blocks_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

mtb211

my asus did come with a quick connect, buttt... it doesnt fit... its older and it will not matchup on the motherboard :(

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, I think that standard troubleshooting methods should apply here.

What we know, is the unit will power but there is no POST. So, lets make it POST. For the computer to pass POST you must have the following components installed and working:

1) Motherboard
2) Processor
3) RAM
4) Video

Anything, and everything else is not required for a POST. If you have a work bench area, take the motherboard out of the case and slap in the RAM and Video (assuming you aren't taking the processor off) then hook it up to power. Power it on, and you should get the BIOS screen and it should POST. It will immediately give an error after POST about not finding any boot-able material, but that is expected when you have no hard drives hooked to it.

If you can get it to POST outside the case, then we know it is grounding out in your case somewhere. If it will not POST period, we can more safely assume it is hardware failure.

mtb211

o man hardware failure, that sounds scary

I am at my office, I wont be home for another 6 hours, So I can put the motherboard on a wooden table, do I leave my power supply in the case?

If it boots to bios tho, couldn't this mean its grounding out also?

I was ready to buy a new PSU because im so impatient, I guess I can wait til black friday, I will def give this a try... I was just hoping I could have a bit more information on how to safly run my motherboard off a work table, I do not want to break it :/

mtb211

someone just wrote me this "It's probably your power supply, if "I unplug the power supply while its flickering, it will get full power for a second after i unplug it". There's a difference between startup current and maintaining current during heavy gameplay. An old or failing power supply typically has bad capacitors in it (see www.badcaps.net) and a temporary fix is usually getting the power supply into a warm reboot state, versus a cold boot state (you did this by turn it on repeatedly).

You can get a good power supply for less than $100 - I would recommend PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, or Antec Earthwatts."

Is this true?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well troubleshooting starts a lot of times just by doing a process of elimination. Since there is questions about the stand offs and what not, I would recommend we do a POST test outside the case to make sure that is not an issue.

At this point with me being a long ways away from you and on the Internet I can't really give a fair assessment of what is going on. For these types of things you have to physically be there to make better assessments.

If it will POST outside your case, your hardware is good. If the power supply were the problem I don't think it would even power on. At least that has been my most common experience with power supplies.

When I worked at the warranty repair shop some years ago we had a motherboard that just sat there with basic RAM, video and a PSU. We used it as a barebones testing unit. I would toss a client's RAM in it and run memtest x86 on it, or hooked the HDD up and run a sector scan on it. This was an open system, with no case just lying on a bench.

mtb211

so if it POSTS (whats posts stand for) then I know right away something is shorting it out, therefore it would be my case?

Maybe I forgot to do something when I bought my case, are there grounding wires on the case or something?

I pretty much bought my case and threw everything in there

I did notice a wire in the case which looks like its been Cut open, Ive never touched it before, I think im just second guessing everything

tlarkin

VIP Member
POST stands for Power On Self Test, and it is a small self test every computer in the world does to ensure that RAM, motherboard, video and processor are all working.

mtb211

thx! our electrical engineer has a power supply tester and he also has spare 700 watt power supplys, he will bring them in tomorrow so I can test everything out, again like you said, he said I should lay the mobo on the table, see if that works... if it doesnt then he said its hardware failure, I know thats exactly what you said, the more opinions the better... he also told me it could be a bad screw

I want to get a set of screws that fit standoffs, Is there an ATX kit of screws I can buy, for my cdrom, for my standoffs, screws that go in standoffs, screws for screwing in the video cards?

thats what i really need

thx!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well typically blinking lights are actually an error code and can be looked up. Each motherboard is different so the error codes are not standard, and you would reference them in the MB manual. So, if it flashes a pattern, just look at the pattern then look up what that means.