Intel to discontinue Core i7 920 & 940 CPUs

bomberboysk

Bad because the new cpu's will probably be similarly priced and perform less than the i7.... Thats why my next rig wont be intel for the near future, they are doing the socket switches way to fast without backward compatibility. Thats why amd is gonna regain some market share here imo, backward compatibility.

Bodaggit23

Bad because the new cpu's will probably be similarly priced and perform less than the i7....

The article states that the i7 is the cheaper chip, not the new ones,
which implies the new chips are better.

Also, by focusing the 1366 on high end and workstation applications,
could this mean more advancements for the 775 socket?

They don't have another socket, so what's left to build on?

bomberboysk

The article states that the i7 is the cheaper chip, not the new ones,
which implies the new chips are better.

Also, by focusing the 1366 on high end and workstation applications,
could this mean more advancements for the 775 socket?

They don't have another socket, so what's left to build on?

No it doesnt, it refers to the CHEAPER end of the i7 spectrum(920/940). Unless you call dual vs tri channel, less l3 cache, etc better...

smoothjk

A shame, the 920 is probably the only i7 I'd ever consider buying (once overclocked, pretty much on par with the bigger brothers).

Bodaggit23

Bad because the new cpu's will probably be similarly priced and perform less than the i7....

I misunderstood what you stated here.
You're obviously not talking about i7. Apologies.

Any thoughts to which socket they will develop for mainstream?

2048Megabytes

I agree with you zer0_c00l. In my opinon this is a bad move by Intel unless they drop the prices on their other i7 processors. Very few people want to pay over $500 for a processor.

Jamin43

banned
Whats your thoughts on this then?

From what I read on Tom's Hardware - I'm not too keen on the idea. Looks like Intel is trying to price themselves out of the market. I hope I get another upgrade on the 1366 socket before I have to build another one - but I expect this build will serve me well for 3-5 years as it's more than I need right now by a long shot.

I'm just less inclined to try and OC this puppy from the getgo - until I konw there's another chip I can replace it with at a reasonable price if I burn it up ( I know it's unlikely )

Bodaggit23

So again, if the i7 will be reserved for high end and workstation pc's,
what socket will they develop for mainstream?

More 775 chips?

Jamin43

banned
So again, if the i7 will be reserved for high end and workstation pc's,
what socket will they develop for mainstream?

More 775 chips?

Tech Report says the i5 has a New Socket

Anandtech's preview doesn't focus on performance alone, though. Among other things, the piece also takes a cursory look at the Lynnfield platform, and it includes photos of the Lynnfield sample CPU and a matching LGA1156-compatible cooler from Thermaltake. Apparently, LGA1156 CPUs will have roughly the same dimensions as their LGA775 predecessors, but with a higher pin density and slightly smaller heat spreaders.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17000

Introducing 2 new sockets makes no sense to me right now. We'll just have to see how it plays out before passing premature judgement. But right now - my first inclination is - WTF :D

mikesrex

werd, why would they even come out with i7 only to discontinue it? what limitations does socket 1366 have that the new socket 1156 will be able to shine at?

something just doesn't add up.

Bodaggit23

werd, why would they even come out with i7 only to discontinue it? what limitations does socket 1366 have that the new socket 1156 will be able to shine at?

something just doesn't add up.

They're not discontinuing the 1366 socket, just the i7 920 and 940 cpu's.
This socket will be aimed at workstation and high end builds, not mainstream.

Here's an article that explains it better:

Intel’s code-named Nehalem processors have been projected to tangibly change Intel-based personal computer (PC) architecture thanks to new micro-architecture and built-in memory controller. But the actual transformation of Intel PC platform may be even more dramatic, as the forthcoming chips will have built-in graphics core and PCI Express support.

The first version of the Nehalem processor family will be the code-named Bloomfield chip aimed at extreme desktops/workstations, high-end desktops and servers as well as on some other quite expensive systems. The central processing unit (CPU) will have built-in triple-channel memory controller, will use Quick Path Interconnect (QPI) bus to connect to other chips within the system and will utilize LGA1366 form-factor. In general, Bloomfield-based PC platforms will resemble traditional AMD64 system architecture with CPU, North Bridge and I/O controller.

But microprocessors from the Nehalem family aimed at mainstream market – code-named Lynnfield and Havendale – will have substantial differences compared to Bloomfield, which will catalyze dramatic changes to PC architecture going forward, reports PC Watch web-site.

Intel’s Lynnfield processor is a Nehalem micro-architecture-based monolith quad-core microprocessor in LGA1160 form-factor with dual-channel DDR3 memory controller as well as PCI Express 2.0 x16 interface to connect add-on graphics cards.

Intel’s Havendale processor is multi-chip module (MCM) in LGA1160 form-factor containing Nehalem micro-architecture-based dual-core CPU as well as graphics and memory controller hub (GMCH) that features dual-channel DDR3 memory controller, PCI Express 2.0 x16 interface to connect add-on graphics cards as well as integrated graphics core. It is projected that both chips on the MCM are made using 45nm process technology.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...cted_to_Eliminate_North_Bridge_Necessity.html

fmw

Bad because the new cpu's will probably be similarly priced and perform less than the i7.... Thats why my next rig wont be intel for the near future, they are doing the socket switches way to fast without backward compatibility. Thats why amd is gonna regain some market share here imo, backward compatibility.

The percentage of computer purchasers who worry about backward socket compatibility or even know what a socket is is minuscule. So small that it wouldn't come to play in Intel's plans. You are looking at the marketplace from the perspective of a very small minority.

I think AMD is gaining some market share but that's because they are providing a good value. It has nothing to do with sockets.

CPU upgrades are rare among people who build their own computers. Imagine how rare it is out in the regular world.

mikesrex

wow i wonder if i should build one of these next instead of another i7-920. Right now I plan on selling a budget built computer I have for 200 and possibly my pair of HD3870's and E8500/RAM/mobo to buy a D0-stepping i7-920 and pick up some new vid cards that come out later in the summer.