Internet on wireless network

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
thats interesting the IP adress i gave you was google, looks like the names ares resolving now. if you type those numbers into your browser google may load, try that just for now
Nope. :eek:

you've changes some of the setting now, post another screeny if you get chance.
here ya go

and as a premptive strike, type ipconfig /all into you cmd prompt and tell me what the dns server is set to (and default gateway and ip for good measure)

IP address - 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server - 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers - 151.201.0.38, 151.201.0.39

Tapir

At this point what if you do a simple reseting of the router. Coincidentaly, I concluded a similar exercise earlier this evening. Interesting that I found this thread. At more or less your point i was still stuck with no wireless. So I tried the reset and Bingo!

Tapir

By the way these problems arise many times when someone (normally in a radiu of 300 feet) is trying to piggy back on your connection. So osme security is advisable.

Bobo

banned
Tapir said:
At this point what if you do a simple reseting of the router. Coincidentaly, I concluded a similar exercise earlier this evening. Interesting that I found this thread. At more or less your point i was still stuck with no wireless. So I tried the reset and Bingo!
Well how do you reset the router? I unplugged it (power cord) for like 15 seconds, then plugged it back in, and nothing had changed. Is there anything else that I should do?

tapir said:
By the way these problems arise many times when someone (normally in a radiu of 300 feet) is trying to piggy back on your connection. So osme security is advisable.
I did have 128-bit WEP encryption, but I disabled it when all these problems started happening, just to eliminate any other possible source of problems.

apj101 said:
hold on bobo, i'm at work but will post in here again when i get home
heehee well I am at school right now ;)

apj101

VIP Member
I did have 128-bit WEP encryption, but I disabled it when all these problems started happening, just to eliminate any other possible source of problems.
can i just check that you removed all your preferred networks as per my instructions in step 6
In the bottom selection where it say Preferred Network, select any network that you have in there and press remove, continue untill you removed them all (there will prob only be on).

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
can i just check that you removed all your preferred networks as per my instructions in step 6

Yes, I removed all of them, my desktop is not connected to anything.

I was thinking, could my computer just be incredibly confused? Is it possible for dos to be able to ping a website and get a reply, but the browsers not be able to access the internet? Or am I just waaaaay off my block? :rolleyes:

apj101

VIP Member
check your proxy setting in internet explorer
tools -> internet options -> connections tab -> lan setting -> check the proxy is set to none

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
check your proxy setting in internet explorer
tools -> internet options -> connections tab -> lan setting -> check the proxy is set to none

Under the lan settings, nothing is checked. Is that correct?

apj101

VIP Member
look i'm really running out of ideas of what to do, we need to hone down on what the issue is, we have been assuming it is the router.

i know it may seem like i'm having you run thourgh hoops but i'm just trying to diagnose where the issue is. This would be stuff i would do quite quickly if i were there:
1) ensure your fathers desktop is turned on
2) run the ipconfig command on your dads machine, tell me the IP, the DNS,and the default gateway

3) Ensure your desktop is on and connected to the wireless network

be quick its approaching bed time

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
i know it may seem like i'm having you run thourgh hoops but i'm just trying to diagnose where the issue is.
I don't mind the hoops thing in the slightest, I just really appreciate your patience.
This would be stuff i would do quite quickly if i were there:
1) ensure your fathers desktop is turned on
2) run the ipconfig command on your dads machine, tell me the IP, the DNS,and the default gateway
Does it have to be my dad's? He doesn't like me going on it. But anyway, I sneaked on, and:

IP: 192.168.1.101
DNS Servers: 151.201.0.38, 151.201.0.39
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

3) Ensure your desktop is on and connected to the wireless network
what does this do?

be quick its approaching bed time
sorry I was late responding :eek:

apj101

VIP Member
bobo this is really wierd, and i'n having trouble working out what is wrong.

Ok do the following

1) Ensure your dad machine is on, you dont need to be on it, just make sure it is turned on (i.e is connected to the web)

2) go to your desktop and ensure you are connected to your wireless network
3) goto command prompt (type cmd in run box)
4) type
ping 192.168.1.101
see if you get a reply?

also try
ping
do you get a reply

Bobo

banned
OK, now this is incredibly weird. :confused::eek: It works. Don't ask me how, or why, but it does. Although somehow I know that it won't when I reboot it. :mad:

Ironically enough, I moved my computer to a different room today, and because I had to unplug the power, the BIOS was reset. (don't ask me why), and then when I turned it back on, it worked.

Thank you very much for your help and patience.

If you have any ideas why it worked/didn't work, I would really like to hear them, because I just know that this isn't the last time that this will happen :eek:

Thanks

Tim

apj101

VIP Member
good to hear it worked mate,

had to admit my ideas were running thin as everything seemed ok from the tests

post back with updates

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
good to hear it worked mate,

had to admit my ideas were running thin as everything seemed ok from the tests

post back with updates

haha well now I have a new problem, with my monitor :( but there is a separate thread for that

Tapir

Tapir said:

It probably reset itself!!!:)

Bobo

banned
(*&#*(&(*#$&*(#&$*(*%#^%$!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you hadn't already figured it out, I reset my computer, and it doesn't work. Again.:mad:

I would fix it if I knew what worked last time. But I don't. Apj, I know you were pretty much out of ideas, but does anybody else have any?

I was not able to get into the router settings from my desktop, which I was able to do before, which makes me think that, unlike the previous time, it is not actually connected to the network. When I get home I will just play around with this.