iPad Alternative?

tlarkin

VIP Member

That thing is pretty neat, few questions:

1) Does it support multi touch?

2) how well does it work with expose in OS X

3) Do you know if there is any code language out there that interfaces with the touch screen (I guess multitouch support too would be nice for this)?

***my comments***

It is pronounced OS ten, not OS X, but yeah that is no biggie. I get yelled at by people for calling it OS X sometimes, hehe. I have a YT video where I explain some stuff we did and I called it OS ex and got corrected several times.

The boot time - the reason it is slower on a PC and always will be is that PCs run old legacy firmware (ie BIOS) and Macs all run EFI, so you are actually running a start up script that bypasses the TPM for EFI, and thus increasing your boot time. Then again, boot time is subjective, because OS X's boot strap is quite different than Windows. So if you wanted to compare the two you'd have to define the pros and cons of their boot process, because both of them take different approaches. Not saying one is right one is wrong, but just different approaches.

speedyink

VIP Member
That thing is pretty neat, few questions:

1) Does it support multi touch?

2) how well does it work with expose in OS X

3) Do you know if there is any code language out there that interfaces with the touch screen (I guess multitouch support too would be nice for this)?

***my comments***

It is pronounced OS ten, not OS X, but yeah that is no biggie. I get yelled at by people for calling it OS X sometimes, hehe. I have a YT video where I explain some stuff we did and I called it OS ex and got corrected several times.

The boot time - the reason it is slower on a PC and always will be is that PCs run old legacy firmware (ie BIOS) and Macs all run EFI, so you are actually running a start up script that bypasses the TPM for EFI, and thus increasing your boot time. Then again, boot time is subjective, because OS X's boot strap is quite different than Windows. So if you wanted to compare the two you'd have to define the pros and cons of their boot process, because both of them take different approaches. Not saying one is right one is wrong, but just different approaches.

1) No

2) I'm assuming you mean the hot corners, as expose works exactly like it does with a mouse. As for hot corners, no, it doesn't work. OSX wants the mouse beyond the screen edge which is not possible with touch.

3) Not right now. I'd love to have the touch to scroll options throughout the whole operating systems, so I might have to look further into it.

Oh really? I had no idea thats how you say it, lol. It's funny cause no one (even mac users) have corrected me on that one before. Maybe only the hard core know about that one :p

I can see what your saying about the boot time. It is painfully slow on PC's though as you can see.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Man if it supported multi touch and scripting, you could script your own multi touch gestures, and that would be awesome! On the OS X (ten) thing yeah I always called it OS X too for the longest time, but X is the roman numeral for 10 and I just never connected the dots. Once I got corrected I ended up doing the ultimate test, open up terminal and type this:

Code:
say 'OS X'

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
Man if it supported multi touch and scripting, you could script your own multi touch gestures, and that would be awesome! On the OS X (ten) thing yeah I always called it OS X too for the longest time, but X is the roman numeral for 10 and I just never connected the dots. Once I got corrected I ended up doing the ultimate test, open up terminal and type this:

Code:
say 'OS X'

I would love a multi touch display, but as of now they don't sell kits for them, and refined kits will take about another year at least, so I wasn't about to wait. My next touchscreen will be a capacitive multi touch tablet with similar if not better specs than my 900HA.

Lol, so it IS 'OS 10'

j3c

Haha wasn't expecting to see a netbook, but I love mine. Ive actually used it to do more than surfing the web and taking notes on mine. CS4 actually runs pretty decently, and Im able to play 720 MKV files smoothly.

But, I do with my netbook could have touch screen functions like the iPad for when Im using my netbook while lying down. I may have to get myself a netbook tablet in the future.

I have Windows 7 installed on mine, but would love to run OSX on it.

g4m3rof1337

I installed OS X Leopard on my Dell Mini 9, it's awesome, I love it!

IMG00175-20100526-2331.jpg

FairDoos

LOL take it you guys havent seen the "iped" that a Chinese company has made..

Take a look here are the specs.. Click me What i find amazing is, is that it has more features than the ipad LOL?

Another link on the story.. Click me

tlarkin

VIP Member
LOL take it you guys havent seen the "iped" that a Chinese company has made..

Take a look here are the specs.. Click me What i find amazing is, is that it has more features than the ipad LOL?

Another link on the story.. Click me

That is not comparable. That is like comparing the knock-off Chinese hand held system to a PSP or a Gameboy. Sure the Chinese knock-off has a lot of features, but it is still a cheap knock-off.

just a noob

Hardware:
Dimensions (H X W X D): 190.5 x 118.5 x14.7;
Weight: 332g;
CPU Processor Speed: 600 MHz/500 MHz DSP;
Memory /ROM: 2GB - 16GB;
Memory /RAM: 128MB+
Memory Slot: T-flash
Camera: 30W - 13OW Pixels digital camera
Color Display: 7" TFT LCD with Resistance Touch Screen
Resolution: 800 x 480 Pixles;
Battery Capacity: 3000mAh;
USB: YES (Mini USB 2.0);
Speaker: YES
G Sensor: YES
I/O ports: Mini USB 2.0, T-FLASH, 3.5mm Headphone, Build-in Microphone;
Wirleless Interface: WIFI 802.11b/g;
-----------------------------------------
Software:
Operating System: Android 1.5 version;
Browser: Google Browser;
Video: MKV(H.264 HP), AVI, RMVB, FLV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2;
Music: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, AAC, AC3, WAV;
Photo: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF;
Email: Gmail
GPS: Google map

The screen is questionable compared to the ipad(I think)

tlarkin

VIP Member
The screen is questionable compared to the ipad(I think)

LOL dude it is not even comparable. You ever buy a Chinese knock-off electronic before? You can't even compare them to the real thing, let me show you what I mean.

[YT]wj3Q4h4fQ2o[/YT]

That is their knock-off PSP/Gameboy