Is a Floppy Drive Needed??

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I needed to make a floppy for my raid controller that I use during windows inatalltion. Am not sure what I would of done if I did not have a floppy drive. plus they only cost $5.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Is The Floppy Dead?

Hey I jsut wanna hear your views on the famous FLOPPY. I believe that it will still be here for quite some time. I still prefer it for small files instead of my USB flashdisk. What are your views on that?

JAN :D

magicman

VIP Member
I think it's a matter of personal preference.
I myself will never go near a floppy again unless I have to - they're noisier, slower, smaller in capacity, bigger in size, more damagable than USB Flash Drives.

On second thoughts, what do you like them so much for?!?!
(only kiddin')

Ultravis

I have a use for floppys in that I've got a keyboard with a disk drive for transfering midi and other sequence files. Though musical hardware and the such seem to be gearing towards flash drives now anyway.

I have no need for them in terms of PC only use.

magicman

VIP Member
Ah, I see. Well the keyboard would probably give the floppy the edge in ur case.

What kind of music are you involved in?

Ultravis

magicman said:
Ah, I see. Well the keyboard would probably give the floppy the edge in ur case.

What kind of music are you involved in?
Nothing on a large scale. It's just a hobby really :D

SlothX311

i havent really caught onto the whole flash USB thing yet, so like for me, unless i want to burn a CD, or Email the file to myself, floppies are the only way for me to get my files to and from school

magicman

VIP Member
Before they started making USB ports in the front of PC's, reaching round the back to plug a dongle in was always a hassle.

Thank God case designers have got some sense...

magicman

VIP Member
I have one of these...

wavemaster.jpg

They have a little spring loaded trap door in the top, with a couple of usb ports and a couple of firewire ports.

That's what I call convenience :)

S_Doherty

well i know that dell and a lot of other companies are getting away from including 3.5" floppies in their computers....i think its personal preference

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Wow

I am surprised at how many of you are so involved in this topic. I think it's cool. No really. Anyway I do realise that the floppy will die oneday...it's already outdated now anyway. However I was just wondering whether you could use Memtest for example without a floppy? That's one important program that I can think of. Well...any other great uses aside from carrying small files anywhere you want.

JAN :D

Pyotr

I still use floppy disks. Some hardware drivers are on floppys, and one might want to install stuff.

OS Dragon

I used to use floppies and I was over the moon when I got a 128MB USB Watch http://shop.store.yahoo.com/meritline/meusbwafuwaw.html.

I use this to take big files from home to college and vice versa. Floppies are too much hassle and prone to damage. And computer manufacturers are starting to replace floppy drives with USB ports at the front of the computer for USB Flash storage. All the computers at my college have usb portson every computer now.

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
OS Dragon said:
I used to use floppies and I was over the moon when I got a 128MB USB Watch http://shop.store.yahoo.com/meritline/meusbwafuwaw.html.

I could use this to take big file from home to college and vice versa. Floppies are too much hassle and prone to damage. And computer manufacturers are starting to replace floppy drives with USB ports at the front of the computer for USB Flash storage. All the computers at my college have usb port now.

:eek:

wow.... nothing surprises me anymore...

....Dick Tracy is probably rolling in his grave :p lol.. walkie talkie watch...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well I know that dell and a lot of other companies are getting away from including 3.5" floppies in their computers....i think its personal preference
LOL good ... stupid floppies ... copy a file onto the disk and by the time I walk upsatairs the friggen thing is corrupted :D

I totally agree with keeping drivers on floppy...usually they are small specs anyways
Only for minor drivers ... not happening with sound, mobo, video drivers