Is a Floppy Drive Needed??

Greg J.

VIP Member
The only use for floppies that I can see is for rebuilding older computers that need the generic drivers to install OS and devices. That, or storing and transfering/backing up word documents and excel spreadsheets, notes, lists, etc.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That, or storing and transfering/backing up word documents and excel spreadsheets, notes, lists, etc.
but CDs are cheaper, especialy for backup purposes. and USB drives work better for transfering files

OS Dragon

My friend with the same watch as mine (USB Watch 128 MB) stored more that 40MB of data on his watch within one minute (in one go). It would take a lot more time to get that on cd! Everyone is in such a hurry these days, we need speed in our drives.

OS Dragon

Although I don't prefer floppies, they are great for kids to learn how to save and trasnfer their files. So as long as kinds and students (as well as older comp. users [no offence]) are using it, there floppy will be around. :D

Greg J.

VIP Member
Isn't the usual way to re-flash BIOS done by using a floppy? That is a pretty essential, non-complicated way to update the BIOS (go ahead, extract the update from a USB memory stick, sounds like real easy fun).

Yeti

VIP Member
Is there another way other than a floppy to install third party drivers when installing windows?

dave597

VIP Member
i feel left out.. i dont have a floppy drive on my comp, although my old comp had one. i have managed to get by tho, i even flashed my bios in windows, using the msi utility. i once found a floppy at uni, and took it home only to realise i dont have a drive! so pointless.

miicrosoft better make it so you can install stuff from cds instead of just floppy, they are so slow and unreliable...

p4r4s1t3

512Mb Flash drive/MP3 player. Technological genius standing proud in it's glory. Seriously, floppies are pathetic! I think the music guy is the only person in the world who NEEDS them now lol. Hurry up and get a new keyboard so the rest of the world can move on with their technologies :p

Yeah CDs are cheaper than floppies too, I throw blanks around like tissue paper cos they cost next to nothing.

Yeti

VIP Member
512Mb Flash drive/MP3 player. Technological genius standing proud in it's glory. Seriously, floppies are pathetic! I think the music guy is the only person in the world who NEEDS them now lol. Hurry up and get a new keyboard so the rest of the world can move on with their technologies

Yeah CDs are cheaper than floppies too, I throw blanks around like tissue paper cos they cost next to nothing.
I still wouldn't have my RAID array running if it weren't for the floppy drive I yanked from my old computer just to install drivers :)

Rambo said:
Hello....

I am putting a computer together with seperate components - all bought from eBay.

I have an old computer with a floppy drive in, but I can't get it out :mad: !

Its got screws on both sides, 2 on each. I can't access the panel which covers the 'back' of the mobo.... I can't take it out you see....

After about 1 & a 1/2 hours of trying and trying (this is about a 10 year old computer by the way), and my Mom saying "If at first you don't suceed..... bla bla bla....". I finally had enough and left the ******* thing alone before I got mad, lol.

So, I have resorted to not having a floppy drive for my new computer, but it just struck me that every computer I have ever seen has one :( This lead me to believe that every computer needs a floppy drive, but I'm not enitrely sure. So, can someone please say to me that a floppy drive isn't needed, or else I will have to buy that off eBay too, and the thought of spending more money makes me look like this ----> :eek:

Ok, thanks!

If you're not using the box anymore, then torn out the metal until it goes out :cool:

pc club guy

From experience i would get a floppy-drive because first of all-it faster to save homework in, rather then wasting a cd-r or wasting space on cd-rw(it takes to long when in a hurry-they scratch easily) i just think they should re-invent cds :mad: . Secondly, it will allow you to save and edit faster at home or in school. thirdly, its something EVERYONE I KNOW still uses. fourth and last, they are good for sharing or lending to friends.

why not to get one: floppys have small space and almost worthless to todays programs that save on larger quantaties(size)
floppy drives make an annoying noise!

Overal Opinion--get a floppy drive or a Zip drive(but zip drives are not that popular)

tomb08uk

I have a floppy just incase and for about 3 quid you cant really complain, yes they are slow and noisey and unreliable, but better to be safe than sorry.