Is it worth it for me to overclock...?

Agent Smith

Load times will more than likely be marginal. With a SATA III Samsung SSD your speed is going to be blazing fast. Adding RAID 0 to the mix isn't going to show much more gain IMO. The levels should zip right along with a normal SSD without RAID. RAID 0 with two SSDs is just for bragging rights. Also, you will not have 2 TBs with RAID 0 or RAID 1. They will both act like one drive of 1 TB only. So if you want 2 TBs, buy two 1 TB drives. When one drive fills up use the other as spill over. Just install the game to that second drive. I did this with mods. I had three to four versions of COD Modern Warfare. One version was updated to the latest, the other was a different version and another two had different Mods. All I did was copy the game from programs folder to the second drive in its own folder with its own name. Like; COD 2.0, COD 4.0, COD Zombie mod, etc.

If you want redundancy to make sure if one drive messes up you have a backup, then by all means use RAID 1. That's a mirrored array and thus you'll have a copy of everything on both drives. If one drive goes you have the other with an exact backup. But like I said, you'll only have 1 TB to play with.

Now if you bought SATA III platter drives, then perhaps a RAID array would be a little more beneficial for speed. Even then, probably not by much except the drive speed numbers. Hardly noticeable. I mean, I have a Crucial MX300 SSD and it's around 500 MB/s, yet BF2 with my AIX mod doesn't load any faster than a platter would. I even have my doubts if it would load faster in a RAM drive. Yet I'm running a i5 6600K with a GTX 1050TI.

Agent Smith

Doesn't RAID 0 split the files up in parts and spreads them among more than one drive? In which case you'll just have 1 TB of space, not two. Seen as how the file is split between both drives.

gillmanjr

Back to OCing for a second guys...last night I upped my CPU to 4.0 using the same setting in my BIOS and the idle core temps went up by 10C (to 40C). As a result my CPU fan starting running at full speed continuously. Why would it do that going from 3.8 to 4.0? Vcore according to my BIOS was 1.216 V.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't RAID 0 split the files up in parts and spreads them among more than one drive? In which case you'll just have 1 TB of space, not two. Seen as how the file is split between both drives.
It does split data to both drives but you still have 2tb of space if you use 2 - 1tb drives.

RAID 0 consists of striping, but no mirroring or parity. Compared to a spanned volume, the capacity of a RAID 0 volume is the same; it is sum of the capacities of the disks in the set. But because striping distributes the contents of each file among all disks in the set, the failure of any disk causes all files, the entire RAID 0 volume, to be lost.

Back to OCing for a second guys...last night I upped my CPU to 4.0 using the same setting in my BIOS and the idle core temps went up by 10C (to 40C). As a result my CPU fan starting running at full speed continuously. Why would it do that going from 3.8 to 4.0? Vcore according to my BIOS was 1.216 V.

Are you sure you have the cooler attached to the cpu correctly making good contact?

gillmanjr

Are you sure you have the cooler attached to the cpu correctly making good contact?

I think so but how can I be sure? I built this system almost 5 years ago and its not the first time I've done it. I have to assume I would have had more serious temperature problems if the cooler wasn't seated properly. Like I said earlier I use this computer for recording and it puts a large load on the CPU for long periods of time. I've never seen temperatures much over 60C during recording or gaming.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It shouldn't be running at high speed at 40 degrees. But I assuming that you have an older cooler and possible that the paste could be drying up.

beers

Staff member
What's the load temps? Idle doesn't really say much but those spike up pretty fast. 1.2v is pretty high especially for those clocks.

gillmanjr

It shouldn't be running at high speed at 40 degrees. But I assuming that you have an older cooler and possible that the paste could be drying up.

Well I think the fan running at high speed is explainable...I think I may have changed the fan profile years ago to ramp that quickly. I think I did it when I originally setup the BIOS. I can fix that. But I still don't like the fact that the idle temps went up that high between 3.8 and 4.0 GHz. For now I'm just going to leave it at 3.8. I am considering also buying a new case as part of these upgrades (going to a full tower from mid) and maybe I'll change the thermal paste when I move everything over to the new case.

gillmanjr

So here is the upgrade list for this year, the only other upgrade I see myself POSSIBLY making to this build in the next year is getting a GTX 1080, if the prices drop. For now I'm doing this...

CASE upgrade (currently Rosewill mid tower): Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX full ($99)

Monitor upgrade (from old Dell 2k): Dell U3415W ($615 on Newegg now)

Memory: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600 ($143); will have 24GB in the machine

Storage: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (~$580)

I'm also going to get a new fan controller, I currently have a cheap little 3.5" thing with knobs, I'm going to get an NZXT Sentry 5.25" touch screen

Anything else I should add to the list??? I looked at the i7 but I don't think the performance increase I'll actually get is worth the price they are going for.

Agent Smith

It does split data to both drives but you still have 2tb of space if you use 2 - 1tb drives.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm having a hard time understanding this.

You have two drives in RAID 0, the data is split into multiple parts on both drives. How are you maintaining 2 TBs when in theory it should be only 1 TB? I mean, just splitting the file in half between the two drives means you have one half the capacity.

Darren

Staff member
I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm having a hard time understanding this.

You have two drives in RAID 0, the data is split into multiple parts on both drives. How are you maintaining 2 TBs when in theory it should be only 1 TB? I mean, just splitting the file in half between the two drives means you have one half the capacity.
A 4MB file takes up 2MB on each drive...? What's not to get? Your primary reason for doing this is increase in speed since you can write to 2 drives simultaneously, not any kind of data redundancy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

gillmanjr

You only gaming? 16GB to 24GB is pretty pointles usually.

No I record too, thats my primary use for it. There are only select games that I play but there are a few good games coming out in the near future or out already. I know I don't really need that RAM but some newer games are recommending 16GB, so I figure I'll do it.

Agent Smith

A 4MB file takes up 2MB on each drive...?

Okay, I guess I can see now how this works. My thinking was taking into consideration that a program for instance is a unit of representation on the HDD and since it's split in two you would have cut the space of two HDDs down to one. Using this "unit" idea I was thinking of.

gillmanjr

Guys, can you put two drives of different capacities in RAID 0? For example can a 250GB SSD and a 1TB SSD be put in RAID 0 or do they have to be the same size?

beers

Staff member
They'd have to be the same size, or you get a stripe array of the smallest capacity such as 250 GB x2.

If you do software RAID you can add another partition on the larger drive, but if you add them to the motherboard's controller then you lose that ability as well.

Personally I'd just buy one drive and roll the rest into a newer build.

gillmanjr

They'd have to be the same size, or you get a stripe array of the smallest capacity such as 250 GB x2.

If you do software RAID you can add another partition on the larger drive, but if you add them to the motherboard's controller then you lose that ability as well.

Personally I'd just buy one drive and roll the rest into a newer build.

Thats what I thought. I think I am just going to buy one 1TB drive for now. That makes more sense to me. I'll add the second when I need it but hopefully that won't be until I'm ready for a new build.

gillmanjr

I've watched some youtube reviews of the case that I selected (the Phanteks Enthoo Pro full tower), it looks like one hell of an awesome case for $100. I'm actually really excited to get it now. If any of you haven't seen that case you should check it out. My current case is REALLY OLD guys, about 10 years now. I've had my last two builds in it. My biggest problems with it are it doesn't have USB 3.0 in the front panel and the headphone jack in the front is AWFUL. The sound quality is so bad from it that I can't even use it anymore, especially for recording/mixing. I just hope that its the jack itself that is bad and not the connection on my motherboard.

gillmanjr

What's the load temps? Idle doesn't really say much but those spike up pretty fast. 1.2v is pretty high especially for those clocks.

OK so I checked my load temps last night while gaming, CPU was clocked to 3.8 GHz and the voltage is running 1.19V. The highest CPU core temp after an hour of Far Cry 5 was 66C. I will do this again with the chip at 4.0 GHz.

When I transplant my system into the new case I am going to replace the thermal paste. The tube of Arctic Silver I have is many years old so I need to buy a new tube...is there anything new on the market better than Arctic Silver that you guys recommend? I'm kind of out of the loop on new stuff like that.