Is this Illegal?

JamesBart

i have a legit copy of windows that came with my dell computer last year and i would like to install it on a different computer.

is this legal to do or do i need to get a new copy? to me it seems illegal but any advice would be great guys. any similar experience?

:confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
It wont work anyways, the Dell Windows CD checks to make sure your using a Dell motherboard that the CD was designed for. If you try it in another PC, it wont let you install it.

JamesBart

i see. so its specifically for a dell computer? so if im buying xp for a asus laptop will i have to get in contact with asus or will any windows work?

Geoff

VIP Member
If you buy either an OEM or Retail version of XP (or any Microsoft OS), from say Newegg, Bestbuy, etc, then you can install it on any type of PC you want, since it's not coded to only work with one manufacture.

lovely?

yeah. omega's right. (whats new? lol) the only time i have been able to 'cheat' this was when i was allowed to use a dedicated D.O.D. key code. this computer was FOR the navy, so no it wasnt illegal... :p

Geoff

VIP Member
whats OEM and whats the best XP if there is one? thanks :)

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Basically when you buy an OEM OS, all your getting is the operating system itself, and a quick start guide. So you dont get the fancy box or the full instruction manual, but who needs that anyways?

The best version of XP would either be MCE or Pro.

lovely?

When you are installing windows you cant reuse a CD key from an unused computer? Or is that dell specific?

that is so illegal, and there are such deep-seated coding programs that check the cd-key for fraud, that even for a hacker, nowadays its almost impossible to reuse a cd-key, or make one up too

bumblebee_tuna

From what I have heard, only the older, original Windows XP sans SP2 disc/key can be used on multiple computers, although, I'm still iffy on the legitimacy of that...........

Geoff

VIP Member
From what I have heard, only the older, original Windows XP sans SP2 disc/key can be used on multiple computers, although, I'm still iffy on the legitimacy of that...........
You can technically install XP or Vista on multiple machines with the same CD Key, but you can only activate them once.

apj101

VIP Member
You can technically install XP or Vista on multiple machines with the same CD Key, but you can only activate them once.
just to add to that; even installing them would be an illegal act, remeber you get 30 days to activate ;) so you could be breaking the copyright for 30 days and then reinstall the OS hence never needing to pay...hence illegal

Geoff

VIP Member
just to add to that; even installing them would be an illegal act, remeber you get 30 days to activate ;) so you could be breaking the copyright for 30 days and then reinstall the OS hence never needing to pay...hence illegal
I know, thats why I said technically you can install it, but as you said, it is illegal, and after 30 days woul would be out of luck.