Is this Illegal?

apj101

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];639045 said:
I know, thats why I said technically you can install it, but as you said, it is illegal, and after 30 days woul would be out of luck.

why are you getting defensive, i said i was adding to your point not contradicting it.
Thats the second time you've gone defensive in as many days, on topics i was only adding to...

i have a legit copy of windows that came with my dell computer last year and i would like to install it on a different computer.

is this legal to do or do i need to get a new copy? to me it seems illegal but any advice would be great guys. any similar experience?

:confused:

i may be wrong(usually am lol) but as long as the copy of windows is only used on any one pc at any one time then i always believed it to be legal.

Geoff

VIP Member
why are you getting defensive, i said i was adding to your point not contradicting it.
Thats the second time you've gone defensive in as many days, on topics i was only adding to...
Oh no, im not getting defensive or anything, I think my posts just make it seem like that. I dont think i've ever actually meant to be defensive in any of my posts going back and forth with you ajp... lately :)

subtle

once you've bought it once then it should be a problem to reuse it.
That is the truth with box. Not oem ver. Oem ver is assigned to mobo. So if something goes wrong and you need to replace the mobo - you need to replace the system as well.

Geoff

VIP Member
That is the truth with box. Not oem ver. Oem ver is assigned to mobo. So if something goes wrong and you need to replace the mobo - you need to replace the system as well.

Thats not true, OEM and Retail versions of XP are exactly the same. You're probably thinking about the XP cd's that come with pre-built machines, such as Dell's.

subtle

[-0MEGA-];639984 said:
Thats not true, OEM and Retail versions of XP are exactly the same. You're probably thinking about the XP cd's that come with pre-built machines, such as Dell's.

You're half-right.
They are not exactly the same. In oem ver you can not upgrade mobo. I was wrong saying that when mobo is dead you need to replace license as well. You can replace the mobo but it "must be the same make/model".

apj101

VIP Member
You're half-right.
They are not exactly the same. In oem ver you can not upgrade mobo. I was wrong saying that when mobo is dead you need to replace license as well. You can replace the mobo but it "must be the same make/model".

you can install an oem on any machine you like, if you upgrade the mobo it wont cause the OEM not to work ,you just may need to reactivate the installed version as microsoft will think you are trying to install the os on another machine.

Geoff

VIP Member
You're half-right.

No, thats not right either.

OEM and Retail CD's are exactly the same. The only difference is that OEM doesnt include the box or full manual, only the CD and quick star guide.

With both OEM and Retail, you can re-install Windows once more on any PC and activate it. After that one time you will have to call Microsoft to get a new activation key.

You can use the OEM version and replace motherboards.

subtle

I found this:
"In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new components without the requirement of a new software license. The only exception to this is the motherboard."

"Quoted from MS System Builders

"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent.""

But they might be wrong... ;)

Geoff

VIP Member
You and them are confusing the term "OEM". They are using the term OEM as the version of Windows that came with their PC, meaning that you cant use your OEM Dell Windows XP CD on another system.

But OEM versions direct from Microsoft arent made for a specific motherboard, so they can be used on any machine.

subtle

As far as I know the oem from M$ is assigned to a mobo when it is installed/activated on a particular computer.
Don't you think it'll be a little bit silly to charge £200 for a book and a box?

Geoff

VIP Member
As far as I know the oem from M$ is assigned to a mobo when it is installed/activated on a particular computer.
Don't you think it'll be a little bit silly to charge £200 for a book and a box?
It's not though, when you buy an OEM version of Windows from say, Newegg, you install it on your brand new PC, activate it, and then its working. You then sell that PC and buy a new PC, you can install it, but you may have to call Microsoft to get a new activation key since it's already been activated once, but you need to do that on retail versions as well.

Windows doesnt assign your copy of Windows with a particular motherboard.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Take it from someone who has called Microsoft to activate the same windows XP OEM version key (ie. the nonboxed version) numerous times, they don't care if you change motherboards, only if you are trying to use the key on more than 1 machine at the same time.

apj101

VIP Member
I just phoned M$ and... I'm right.

jesus, stop being so stubborn. you're not right. You probably didn't ask the question right to m$, or the monkey on the other end just had no idea what you meant
I will bet you every penny i can ever earn that an OEM version is not tied to a mobo

bumblebee_tuna

I must have some cracked key or something because I was able to activate the XP Pro I borrowed fom my neighbor with no problems.

*Edited*
From first hand experience, I'd like to reiteriate that the OS on prefab machines are different; you can tell just by opening up the system information window. (You'll usually see the company's logo at the bottom.) When I blew out and replaced my mobo with a different one, I was unable to load XP and barely was able to go into safemode due to that it saw it as corrupt data, or something to the equivilent. They're just trying to get around saying you need a new license as long as you buy their over-priced, modified products.

Thinking about it, I doubt it would be cracked because I think he is very legit when it comes to computers because he works for a big computer company; cnet. I venture to bet that it's the very first original version of XP Pro without any updates. Weird thing though, that it will only format 128GB of disk space when you load it.

Last edited: