Is this Illegal?

subtle

I'm not being stubborn. I just know that I'm right. On different forum where they have Microsoft Expert, questions like that were asked many times.

Try and call M$ (if you want):
0870 60 10 100

..or maybe indeed she didn't understood what I meant.

Lets just close this discussion. What you say?

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I just phoned M$ and... I'm right.
Are you sure we are talking about the same type of OEM copy? I'm talking about the kind that doesn't come in a box with a fancy design and documentation and stuff, not the kind that companies like Dell ship out on a Dell stamped OS cd.

All I do is call them up, a minute later when I actually get to talk to someone they ask me what my problem is, I tell them I'm trying to activate windows and it told me to call this number. They ask if I've installed the copy of windows on other machines, which, of course I haven't, then they ask how I've used up the activations to which I answer I changed the motherboard. They say OK and give me a code to enter and it's all done in about 2 minutes including the minute it took for me to get to them :)

bumblebee_tuna

My question now is how I'm able to use my neighbor's CD with the same key? Because I have also used the same Key on other computers too (just as a reformat....) and I haven't had any validation problems.

shawn_selig29

i like the oem disks... as where i run all dells... they run on all computers.. especially with there own keys....makes it easier instead of having a million and one cd's...

Geoff

VIP Member
I just phoned M$ and... I'm right.

I'm not being stubborn. I just know that I'm right. On different forum where they have Microsoft Expert, questions like that were asked many times.

Try and call M$ (if you want):
0870 60 10 100

..or maybe indeed she didn't understood what I meant.

Lets just close this discussion. What you say?
Ok dude. You are not right.

You are talking about the OEM versions that come with pre-built PC's such as Dell's, HP's, Acer's, etc. The OEM versions that you buy from places such as Newegg or Tiger Direct are OEM, but they are direct from Microsoft. Meaning that it's directly from Microsoft but only with the disc, none of the fancy packaging or extensive documentation.

You can install either the Retail or OEM versions of Windows XP on any computer you wish, regardless of motherboard manufacturer. However legally, you can only use it on one PC at a time. If you sell the PC or do major upgrades, you can re-install Windows on that machine, it does not "attach itself" to the motherboard brand you had before. You simply call up Microsoft, tell them the story, and they will give you a new activation key.

as far as i'm concerned

[-0MEGA-];644142 said:
Ok dude. You are not right.

You are talking about the OEM versions that come with pre-built PC's such as Dell's, HP's, Acer's, etc. The OEM versions that you buy from places such as Newegg or Tiger Direct are OEM, but they are direct from Microsoft. Meaning that it's directly from Microsoft but only with the disc, none of the fancy packaging or extensive documentation.

You can install either the Retail or OEM versions of Windows XP on any computer you wish, regardless of motherboard manufacturer. However legally, you can only use it on one PC at a time. If you sell the PC or do major upgrades, you can re-install Windows on that machine, it does not "attach itself" to the motherboard brand you had before. You simply call up Microsoft, tell them the story, and they will give you a new activation key.
I have had both OEM and full retail versions of XP and have NEVER had any trouble installing them on my machines over and over again after mobo changes,hard drive changes, etc etc. The worst thing that happens is either it will ask me to re-activate my version within 3 days(due to hardware change) or iget the "please contact microsoft" message with phone number.

Whenever i ring they didn't even question my mobo change(which aparrently they only approve if faulty) and gave me a new code.

M$ are only REALLY concerned with piracy and as long as you can prove to their satisfaction you aint installing one copy on loads of machines or something silly, then they will usually help you all they can.

XP is XP(with the obvious difference of home/professional) and as long as you only install ONE copy on any ONE machine at a time(home users) then their should be no problem.:D

zaroba

Whenever i ring they didn't even question my mobo change(which aparrently they only approve if faulty) and gave me a new code.

M$ are only REALLY concerned with piracy and as long as you can prove to their satisfaction you aint installing one copy on loads of machines or something silly, then they will usually help you all they can.

keep in mind that just because its a money hungry coorperation doesen't mean they have employees that love and worship there job. any people that consumers can interact with are people just like you and me, people who probably hate the company they work for and don't don't care too much for there dead end job where they listen to idiots all day.

so yea, it woulden't be too hard to get new keys etc from them, even if you lied about it.

On different forum where they have Microsoft Expert, questions like that were asked many times.
first of all, what defines him as being an 'expert'? is it just because he went threw tsome microsoft certification course? believe it or not experts often don't know correct info, especially if they get an ego about being an expert. you can go threw any type of microsoft certification course to become a microsoft certified windows technicion. however, these courses are complete junk. if you learn windows from years of use and trial and error, you will learn completly different and faster ways to do things, completly different and more logical solutions to problems, and even see that some things don't even act the way the course says they do.

why? because when you go threw a certification course, microsoft wants you to learn to do things *there* way.

Last edited:
keep in mind that just because its a money hungry coorperation doesen't mean they have employees that love and worship there job. any people that consumers can interact with are people just like you and me, people who probably hate the company they work for and don't don't care too much for there dead end job where they listen to idiots all day.

so yea, it woulden't be too hard to get new keys etc from them, even if you lied about it.

first of all, what defines him as being an 'expert'? is it just because he went threw tsome microsoft certification course? believe it or not experts often don't know correct info, especially if they get an ego about being an expert. you can go threw any type of microsoft certification course to become a microsoft certified windows technicion. however, these courses are complete junk. if you learn windows from years of use and trial and error, you will learn completly different and faster ways to do things, completly different and more logical solutions to problems, and even see that some things don't even act the way the course says they do.

why? because when you go threw a certification course, microsoft wants you to learn to do things *there* way.

you sound very bitter on this subject.... had a bad experience have we.??

oh and it's *their* way , by the way :)

subtle

however, these courses are complete junk. if you learn windows from years of use and trial and error, you will learn completly different and faster ways to do things, completly different and more logical solutions to problems, and even see that some things don't even act the way the course says they do.

I understand that you did some of their courses? :)

DrCuddles

However, these courses are complete junk. if you learn windows from years of use and trial and error, you will learn completly different and faster ways to do things, completly different and more logical solutions to problems, and even see that some things don't even act the way the course says they do.

My dad has done one of these courses, He is a Microsoft Certified Partner, its funny, he said that he started doing it their way and after about 10 minutes gave up and did it his way that he had been doing for years and said it wias twice as fast his way, Microsoft are noobs :)

subtle

My dad has done one of these courses, He is a Microsoft Certified Partner, its funny, he said that he started doing it their way and after about 10 minutes gave up and did it his way that he had been doing for years and said it wias twice as fast his way, Microsoft are noobs :)

Yes. That's true. For them there is Microsoft way and only Microsoft way.

EDIT:
Plus if your dad has years of experience in doing stuff I'm not surprised that it took him less time by doing it his way (since he knew the way-opposite to the M$ way he just learned). :)

I have XP Home SP2 on my older rig, could I use the OEM copy of it to install on my new PC? My old rig will be terminated, I hopefully will be dual booting with Vista.

DrCuddles

Yes. That's true. For them there is Microsoft way and only Microsoft way.

EDIT:
Plus if your dad has years of experience in doing stuff I'm not surprised that it took him less time by doing it his way (since he knew the way-opposite to the M$ way he just learned). :)

Yes :) He is amazing at IT, dont think he knows as much as it seems but he knows every shortcut in virtually every program he uses and just flys through everything, its wierd watching him :D