June Folding @ Home Marathon

jonnyp11

That's kind of odd.
I see your ppd has jumped quite a bit, good going!

I also see that Gooberman has joined the party! :good:

IDK WTF is going on, don't think i pulled 23k yesterday, and already showing 9k today, which i had it paused the last few hours while gaming and doing something else while the game was still up.

Really tempted to go ahead and unlock the other 2 cores and just see how hot it gets, did it once and it wouldn't read core temps so locked them back, but the mobo's cpu temp monitor still worked, just didn't want to rely on that one number.

MyCattMaxx

I have 2 of those long time units right now, at least they give good points.. But I hate waiting that long for the points to show.

wolfeking

banned
I have no idea how to read this thing. I am seeing 1 day+ and the GPU has yet to kick in. I am hoping to get a 3570k next month and a 9800GX2 or something to fold on, and just use my 4870 for games and such.
Untitled-64.jpg

is what I see.

MyCattMaxx

Yup, you have just a touch over a day to go with that one.
The 4870 may be waiting for awhile.
WU's for that are very few as FAH doesn't really support that series anymore as far as I know.
I think the 5xxx series is the bottom of the supported gpu's.
Fermi's are the hot folders atm. That's why I went with nVidia.

wolfeking

banned
I have yet to see any AMD series pick up a work unit, even 7000 series. :/ But either way, Nvidia is whats coming for me. Not sure which yet.

MyCattMaxx

Fermi is what you want, the more shaders the better.
The Kepplers may become even hotter than the fermi's after they work out the drivers and folding core, but I suspect that will be quite awhile..

EDIT: Cuda cores was what I meant by shaders

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Well I really don't want to throw much at it. Would a 9 series be fine? I can get 9800GX2's for $100 or less. And I am pretty sure they would kick the arse of a GTS450 or GTX550ti in about the same price range.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I should be folding with my (new to me) GTX 570 coming from Claptonman at some point this week. Then I should be able to pull some good points.

MyCattMaxx

Well I really don't want to throw much at it. Would a 9 series be fine? I can get 9800GX2's for $100 or less. And I am pretty sure they would kick the arse of a GTS450 or GTX550ti in about the same price range.
I suspect with the 9800's you will get about 9-10k ppd

I should be folding with my (new to me) GTX 570 coming from Claptonman at some point this week. Then I should be able to pull some good points.
I was wondering if you would go for that, if I didn't have my 460 right now I would have jumped all over it.

Congrats, you will kick up some serious ppd with that plus it should game really well for you.

wolfeking

banned
I suspect with the 9800's you will get about 9-10k ppd
okay, is that knowing that they are SLI cards (the GX2)? and what would that be compared to say a 450 or 550ti? on the board I am using for folding starting next month only has 1 PCIe x16 slot, so I am trying to stay below 130 and getting the best card for the job.

MyCattMaxx

byteninja had a link to Geek buddies or something like that that had GTX460 for about $110 IIRC.
It would do better than the 9800 GX2 you were talking about.
You would still do good with the 9800 GX2.
I'm getting about 16-17k ppd out of my GTX 460.
I won't tell you what I have it oc'd to, you wouldn't believe me.

jonnyp11

yep, looked an i'm running an 8046 right now on the cpu, ~2:45 for ~1300 points, not much but the cpu is so slow, i pull around 2500 points on the 470 every 4hrs or so.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I was wondering if you would go for that, if I didn't have my 460 right now I would have jumped all over it.

Congrats, you will kick up some serious ppd with that plus it should game really well for you.

Yeah I was getting tired of dealing with my fan not kicking on by itself with my 6870. Can't wait! :D

jonnyp11

yep, looked an i'm running an 8046 right now on the cpu, ~2:45 for ~1300 points, not much but the cpu is so slow, i pull around 2500 points on the 470 every 4hrs or so.

the 8046 keeps changing the credit, now it's showing i'll get 1467 points? now 1307 again!

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

It does that, they all do even if it is a dedicated folding comp.
Some frames are a little tougher to work.

I just snipped a shot of my GTX 460 showing ppd for the moment.

GTX-460ppd.jpg

wolfeking

banned
byteninja had a link to Geek buddies or something like that that had GTX460 for about $110 IIRC.
It would do better than the 9800 GX2 you were talking about.
You would still do good with the 9800 GX2.
I'm getting about 16-17k ppd out of my GTX 460.
I won't tell you what I have it oc'd to, you wouldn't believe me.
they do, but newegg has one for 120.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130649
vs
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ENGTX460-PCIE-768-CO-R&cat=VCD

but I am not sure really. Will it run fine on 600 watts?

MyCattMaxx

It will run with plenty of headroom on 600w, I have a 550w.
IIRC they draw about 160w at full load, I listed it in another thread somewhere.
I'd get one of those over the 9800 for folding.