Just built my first computer, and it wont turn on?

alexjb

when I put the cpu in it felt hard to push the metal bar down, and it made a crunch noise, maybe thats the prob?

alexjb

I have reseated the CPU and made sure that it lines up with the arrow, but it still doing the same thing, I notice that when it starts up the Intel fan above the CPU comes on and about a second after spinning the computer shuts down and tries rebooting again and again etc

wolfeking

banned
That is your issue most likely. I have never herd any noise when installing the CPU, nor being difficult to push down.

alexjb

That is your issue most likely. I have never herd any noise when installing the CPU, nor being difficult to push down.

the cpu went in fine and simple, but when I put the cover and pulled down the metal leaver it made a noise and was very hard to do push down, but it said on a video tutorial that I was watching that it's very normal:confused:

wolfeking

banned
It may be normal, but I have never experienced it, and I have installed CPUs in LGA1155 boards at least a dozen times or more.

alexjb

it's stayed on and sounds good now thanks! :) the only problem I have now is that my monitor is receiving no signal from the computer via hdmi?

wolfeking

banned
did you plug the 2 6 pin adapters into the graphics card and the power supply? Are they the right way round?

Also, are you putting the cable on the graphics card or the motherboard headers?

alexjb

did you plug the 2 6 pin adapters into the graphics card and the power supply? Are they the right way round?

Also, are you putting the cable on the graphics card or the motherboard headers?

I think I must have done it wrong, I placed the graphics card into the motherboard and then it clips in (a blue bracket) and the only wires I have attached to the graphics card is a red lead coming from the power supply with 6 pins and another red lead coming from the power supply with 6 pins and 2 dangling down, I think this is correct? the graphics card did come with some other leads but I am not sure if they are needed for this? thank you :)

alexjb

yay I got it working thanks! :)

the monitor says EFI Shell version 2.1 [4.653]
Current running mode 1.1.2
map: Cannot find required map name.

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell> _

What shall I do now please? Insert windows? the problem I got is that my DVD-RW will not open up, the only cable I have connected to the DVD-RW is the Sata cable, is this incorrect? thank you for all your help :)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Can you show us a pic of the inside of your machine? I've read through the thread and I've seen you had a number of issues regarding RAM and CPUs and stuff. I just want to make sure everything is OK before you do anything else.

alexjb

Can you show us a pic of the inside of your machine? I've read through the thread and I've seen you had a number of issues regarding RAM and CPUs and stuff. I just want to make sure everything is OK before you do anything else.

sure thanks :) it's installing windows at the moment, i think it's okay I'll grab the camera now :)