kubuntu installation on my new compaq

JTM

k ive got networking to work on my laptop. how would you recommend i download and install a driver for my card?

Download the driver and make sure it's for Kubuntu ( I think Debian is universal since that's what it's based off of). When you run it make sure it's on your desktop. You can run it in terminal, but if you do that you must run it inside the folder (or package).

Also the changes won't take effect unless you restart I believe. Also here's a link to change the resolution issue chris.

dubesinhower

Download the driver and make sure it's for Kubuntu ( I think Debian is universal since that's what it's based off of). When you run it make sure it's on your desktop. You can run it in terminal, but if you do that you must run it inside the folder (or package).

Also the changes won't take effect unless you restart I believe. Also here's a link to change the resolution issue chris.

reread what i wrote. what do i install from here? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

JTM

I would give the 173 package a try. The 8200 is listed, just not the 8200m I think.

tlarkin

VIP Member
That is why you run the installer script from Nvidia if they have one, and that is how it will detect your OS version and grab the driver package via wget and install it.

dubesinhower

Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Go to KMenu->System->Hardware Drivers Manager and check the box to enable the restricted drivers for your NVIDIA card if the option is provided.

i do not have a "system". in my kmenu (which i assume is the button on the far left of the taskbar) i have a "system settings" option, but no "settings". in the "system settings", it does not have a hardware drivers manager.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't have a linux box near me so I can't review the contents of the driver package download form nvidia, when you download the file from this link

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_180.44.html

what contents does it have? It looks like it is a pkg1.run file? If it is meant to work on Redhat based distros and Debian based it will have to run some sort of script because they use two completely different package managers.

dubesinhower

I don't have a linux box near me so I can't review the contents of the driver package download form nvidia, when you download the file from this link

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_180.44.html

what contents does it have? It looks like it is a pkg1.run file? If it is meant to work on Redhat based distros and Debian based it will have to run some sort of script because they use two completely different package managers.

how do i use a script? sorry, kinda a linux noob lol.

dubesinhower

I seriously hope that you don't mean reinstalling Kubuntu...???
yea lol. its easier for me to reinstall kubuntu then to figure out how to get that plasma thing up again. so back to the nvidia drivers. any help? i dont know what im doing at all lol

dubesinhower

i install the nvidia driver 173, but the screen is still laggy and refreshing and scrolling is painful. anyone know where i went wrong?

Zatharus

VIP Member
yea lol. its easier for me to reinstall kubuntu then to figure out how to get that plasma thing up again. so back to the nvidia drivers. any help? i dont know what im doing at all lol

You are in for a world of hurt (or at least a long learning process) with linux then. :p

Stick with it though. It's worth learning.

i install the nvidia driver 173, but the screen is still laggy and refreshing and scrolling is painful. anyone know where i went wrong?

Try the 177 driver, or you can also grab the 180 driver from nVidia.

dubesinhower

HOLY ****ING SHITTTTT
I DID ITTTT YAYYYYYY
holy crap lol.
i think i m good now lol.
for now.
thanks alot zath and everyone else!

tlarkin

VIP Member

you may need to configure you xorg.conf file, and it looks like nvidia provides a tool to help you tweak it. Download it off that same page I linked near the bottom you will see a link for their utility.