kubuntu installation on my new compaq

dubesinhower

okay ive got compiz working. now, ive seemed to have deleted my .xsession file...
after i get the gui login screen, it says i have no xsession file in my /home/user folder. what do i do?

tlarkin

VIP Member
how do i do that? in a terminal session? (alt f1 or wahtever)

in terminal

Code:
touch ~/.xsession

That will create a blank file called .xsession but it won't put any configurations in that file. Open up terminal and type ls -al ~/ and copy/paste the results.

dubesinhower

in terminal

Code:
touch ~/.xsession

That will create a blank file called .xsession but it won't put any configurations in that file. Open up terminal and type ls -al ~/ and copy/paste the results.

i cant log in again. i restarted, and now i cant login. it freezes after i type my password in.

dubesinhower

Sounds like you got bigger problems, what else have you done to the system?

i was trying to get cairo dock to work. i uninstalled the packages, but i uninstalled one that said i had to terminate my x session for it to delete. so i terminated x, and here i am lol.

im considering installing regular ubuntu. kde is difficult for me to understand. heck, gnome is difficult for me to understand lol.

tlarkin

VIP Member
i was trying to get cairo dock to work. i uninstalled the packages, but i uninstalled one that said i had to terminate my x session for it to delete. so i terminated x, and here i am lol.

im considering installing regular ubuntu. kde is difficult for me to understand. heck, gnome is difficult for me to understand lol.

rebooting should relaunch the xwindow daemon though.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Glad to interject when I can. :)

If you want to have some fun learning more of the inner workings of Linux and try out another flavor, try Gentoo. ;)

dubesinhower

lol. im starting to get the hang of installing things. its much easier then i thought. and pretty much everything about ubuntu is documented online.

Zatharus

VIP Member
The Linux family is very well documented. You just have to know where to look. Ubuntu is a great place to start.

If you are curious though, give Gentoo run. It can be a mind trip for the unexpecting. (Darn...no evil smiley...)

Zatharus

VIP Member
Don't you already have Compiz Fusion going?

Eh, I've never really blinged out my Linux installs. A few experiments here and there, maybe.

As for apps, what are you interested in doing with Linux?

dubesinhower

yea ive got compiz working, along with cairo dock.

ill mainly use it for web browsing and word processing.

im gunna try to get wine to work, or else put windows in a vm.

oh btw, youtube videos are really choppy. the sound qaulity is good, but the video gets laggy once in a while. any fixes? i have adobe nonfree.