Let's See Those Laptops!!

Justin

VIP Member
@cybereclipse. is that hackintosh running?

@gamer. DAMN!!! I want that laptop! The red back is cool!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
HX-20_Working.jpg

My brother found this where he worked. They were about to throw it out so he grabbed it and gave it to me. I'm afraid it does have something wrong with it as it only works intermittently with random errors. I believe the battery is the culprit as the laptop wouldn't work at all when the batteries were installed (plugged in or not). And though it would power up with mocked up battery packs, it would still give me errors and never would run off battery power.

Either way, a neat little machine to add to my collection. Fun to tinker with when it works :p

1150_1.jpg

I was also given this laptop. It's the one I mentioned previously. All in all, it's not a bad free system. Celeron 2.6, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, 470 days left no the warranty :p Though the case had been replaced, it already developed a crack and the optical drive began to act up. But you know what, Dell took care of it :p

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
just another day at work:

That is just in my office, there are about 5,000 more if you count all of them at other buildings.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Not really, I am being force to put windows on them, and they told me 2 weeks ago so now I am imaging them but I had to stop and redo my image to include windows!:mad:

Geoff

VIP Member
Those aspire's are actually quite a bit larger than I thought they were. I saw one in Radio Shack a few weeks ago.
I have a 14.1" Acer Aspire (new model), and it looks MUCH smaller then his, I'm guessing that's a 15.4" but it still looks pretty darn large.

tlarkin

VIP Member
why would u buy alotta macbooks just to put windows on them?
there are many more laptops that are cheaper...

First of all, I don't want to run windows nor do I want to even install it on any user's Macbook. However, due to some circumstances with some certain testing software that doesn't run on OS X because the developer never updated it I am being forced to load Windows XP Pro on the machines. I wanted to do virtual machines at first, but they don't give price breaks per client, so $50 multiplied by 6,000 is a lot of money.

Next year, when this product goes web based I won't have to fuss with Windows at all on the Macs. I guess the good news is that I can still make Windows images with out touching Windows for over a year.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I do like the fact that you've stacked them like books tlarkin! I'm assuming you're imaging them over the LAN?

That is just my office. They are stacked in line for imaging over the network, so you are correct. However, those pics are for inventory purposes, not for imaging. I use long tables for that.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ah cool, it's like a sea of white! How long do you reckon they'll take to image?

Netbooting 40 at a time, and it takes approx 30 minutes to image 40 machines at a time. Now, divide that by 6,000 and calculate extra time for failures, setup, and over head and that is about how long it will take.

PabloTeK

Netbooting 40 at a time, and it takes approx 30 minutes to image 40 machines at a time. Now, divide that by 6,000 and calculate extra time for failures, setup, and over head and that is about how long it will take.

By my very accurate calculations the answer is erm, err, a long time! (Without setup and failure it's about 75 hrs.)

I suppose it's all part of the job for you though really, must hurt though having to put Windows on a Mac, kind of half defeats the point really.