Logitech Z-2300 : Mega Review

RishiGuru

So altec is using 6.5 inch drivers for producing 68W of bass AND logitech is using 7 inch drivers for producing 130W of bass.
How do you think they are able to manage it.

It is impossible to produce 130 watts of continuous power with the 7 inch bass driver of Z-623. I will say since the 8 incher of Z-2300 was capable of 80W [verified] the 7 incher of Z-623 will have 60W "continuous power".

Since, MX-6021 says it uses 68W for the subwoofer, I guess the 6.5 incher is capable to handle 40W "continuous power".

taj mahal

By producing muddy overwhelmingly powerful bass. That's why I'm not a fan of most 2.1 systems. All they can do is shake the house, but most of them are lacking the clarity of a good 2.0 system.

Thats what I thought.
And therefore most people do NOT like logitech.
They are giving power without giving quality.

taj mahal

It is impossible to produce 130 watts of continuous power with the 7 inch bass driver of Z-623. I will say since the 8 incher of Z-2300 was capable of 80W [verified] the 7 incher of Z-623 will have 60W "continuous power".

Since, MX-6021 says it uses 68W for the subwoofer, I guess the 6.5 incher is capable to handle 40W "continuous power".

So it seems Altec are somewhat more honest than logitech

RishiGuru

So it seems Altec are somewhat more honest than logitech

I do not know. I have to do a complete DIY on Z-623 & MX-6021 is give you the correct answer.

I did DIY on my Z-2300 & posted the review. The set cost me a mere INR 6,800. I am happy with its performance.

I also own a pair of Audio Engine 5 bookshelf speakers which costs me INR 20,000. I am not a nerd to compare the performance of AE5 with Z-2300.

But some just do that for fun.

Last edited:

taj mahal

I do not know? I have to do a complete DIY on Z-623 & MX-6021 is give you the correct answer.

I did DIY on my Z-2300 & posted the review. The set cost me a mere INR 6,800. I am happy with its performance.

I also own a pair of Audio Engine 5 bookshelf speakers which costs me INR 20,000. I am not a nerd to compare the performance of AE5 with Z-2300.

But some just do that for fun.

I am thankful for your research and your opinions matter to me.
Because of your opinion I have almost made my mind for altec mx6021 as you told me that according to my taste they are best.
I am not making fun of anyone, I am just NOT techno type of person so was just asking for your technical information. As from your z2300 review it is clear that you really know about electrical equipments.
THANKS once again for your comments.

RishiGuru

I am thankful for your research and your opinions matter to me.
Because of your opinion I have almost made my mind for altec mx6021 as you told me that according to my taste they are best.
I am not making fun of anyone, I am just NOT techno type of person so was just asking for your technical information. As from your z2300 review it is clear that you really know about electrical equipments.
THANKS once again for your comments.

The answer is same as before:

"Altec Lansing MX-6021"

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I will appreciate if you do not hear a word I say.:good:

Just like how people from other forums appreciated your review so much? If you want to write a review and have people appreciate it copy and pasting it all over the internet isn't going to help. It'll just make you look more like a spammer. Plus trying to defend a pair of sub par speakers that is only good at one thing, being loud, isn't helping either.

Logitech speakers do not sound neutral, period. There is no way you can argue that the Z-2300 is neutral. It's bass and trebal heavy and is completely missing mid range. My friend has a pair of it and sure it's wonderful for gaming, but for music and movies it's too tinted. During a movie you have to constantly adjust the volume because SFX explosions are loud as hell and dialogues are muffled and quiet. For music it sounds like every song has a smiley face equalizer applied to it. Going from my old generic 5.1 system to a pair of AV 40s was completely night and day. There simply is no comparison. Sure the bass doesn't go to 20hz and won't rattle the windows, but the bass that these pair of speakers do produce are incredibly tight and punchy. The trebles are crisp and overall the speakers are very neutral sounding.

Last edited:

RishiGuru

Just like how people from other forums appreciated your review so much?

I admit Z-2300 are no audiophile grade out of the world PC speakers, but at INR 6,800 they deliver amazing performance. I think they are great value for money product. That's what I wanted to point out in my review.

I never do nerdy comparisons between my Z-2300(INR 6,800) & my M-Audio BX-8a Deluxe(INR 27,500) in terms of sound quality & audio performance. Just look at the difference in price. BX-8a is four times costlier than Z-2300. You pay more you get more. It is that simple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to write a review and have people appreciate it copy and pasting it all over the internet isn't going to help. It'll just make you look more like a spammer.

I believe I have written a good review (maybe not an excellent one) and I want to share it with as many people as possible. At least looking at the comments received seems so:

Nice detailed review. I am not audiopile, Part II & III is a bit too techical for me...

no doubt it is a good review with a lot of technical details.

[-0MEGA-];1587581 said:
It's a VERY thorough review, and would be awesome for anyone looking to purchase it!

First of all I will really like to congratulate you on your great review of z2300. Review is just awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Plus trying to defend a pair of sub par speakers that is only good at one thing, being loud, isn't helping either.

I never defended the Z-2300. I and taj mahal where having a chat in order to choose between Z-623 & MX-6021. Learning his taste & how he perceives sound quality, I recommended him MX-6021. Look below at my comment:

I never told MX-6021 beats Z-623 or vice versa. Different persons have different preferences. They choose their speakers according to that.

Sound quality can be ultra subjective. That is the reason why I always recommend to have an audition before buying.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Logitech speakers do not sound neutral, period. There is no way you can argue that the Z-2300 is neutral. It's bass and trebal heavy and is completely missing mid range. My friend has a pair of it and sure it's wonderful for gaming, but for music and movies it's too tinted. During a movie you have to constantly adjust the volume because SFX explosions are loud as hell and dialogues are muffled and quiet.

If you think so, then so be it. But if somebody wants my suggestion I will always provide my point of view regarding Z-2300 and not yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Going from my old generic 5.1 system to a pair of AV 40s was completely night and day. There simply is no comparison. Sure the bass doesn't go to 20hz and won't rattle the windows, but the bass that these pair of speakers do produce are incredibly tight and punchy. The trebles are crisp and overall the speakers are very neutral sounding.

M-Audio AV30 & AV40 are JUST OK monitors. Not audiophile grade of course. Also their is an issue regarding the quality of components used. Read this thread: M Audio not up to hype

Your personal quote on that thread :

I've heard more troubles from AV30s than AV40s. Either way, I believe the entire bottom lineup has slight quality control issues. My AV40s works perfectly. If you do decide to buy another pair I would highly recommend AV40s. There's a fairly large quality difference between the two models.

How come you know that AV40 are a whole lot better than AV30? Can you state what are the quality differences between the two? Have you done DIY on both, cause without DIY it is impossible to state the quality differences?

Remember the OP of that thread was talking about hardware issues in AV30 & not sound quality.

Last edited:

RishiGuru

Going from my old generic 5.1 system to a pair of AV 40s was completely night and day. There simply is no comparison. Sure the bass doesn't go to 20hz and won't rattle the windows, but the bass that these pair of speakers do produce are incredibly tight and punchy. The trebles are crisp and overall the speakers are very neutral sounding.

M-Audio AV-40

M-Audio AV-40 is what I call JUST OK monitors. M-Audio charges a lot($150) for what they are really worth of. I will compare with my Z-2300($110) to order to provide a clear picture.

Take the example of the power output claim. M-Audio says a "continuous power" of 20 watts per channel which brings to 40 watts for a pair.

Dismantling the AV-40, I found a bog standard EI transformer rated at 14V X 2, 1.4A i.e. 39VA. In contrast Z-2300 uses an expensive toroidal transformer of 151VA costing 4x times that of AV-40 transformer.

A toroid have numerous advantages over EI type such as low weight, low hum, low noise and also being smaller in size than an equivalent EI type.

I was also astounded that the transformer of AV-40 is so awfully close to the power amp board. In order to prevent magnetic interference from the transformer effecting the amplifier their is a divider made by thin soft iron plate section. This design is utterly crap since the intensity of the internal air flow formed under strong vibration may cause the this thin film to vibrate a cause noise. In addition, this iron plate has already started to rust. So much for quality components.

The ripple filter capacitors used in AV40 are made by "God Knows What" KSK brand of 4,700uF,35V. These KSK are famous for getting blown. The Z-2300 at-least uses a known name like SamXon or CapXon rated at 10,000uF, 35V. So the pair of ripple filters on Z-2300 cost 3x times of AV-40.

Since the AV-40 uses Class-AB power amps, the max these amplifiers will be able to produce is 39/1.27 ~= 30 watts for a pair. So, you have 15 watts of "continuous power" per channel.

Z-2300 also uses Class-AB power amps, the max these amplifiers will be able to produce is 151/1.27 ~= 120 watts. 76 watt goes to the sub & 22 watt to each of the sats.

With so less power on AV-40, you crank up the volume and the single ST Microelectronics TDA7265, 25 X 2 = 50W power amp being awfully limited by a sub standard 30 watt power supply gives up. Mind you those TDA7265 comes at $5.7 a piece.

Z-2300 have a pair of ST Microelectronics TDA7296 & a pair of ST Microelectronics TDA7295. That sums up to 60 X 2 + 80 X 2 = 280W being limited to 120 watt power supply. Cost of these four amps is over $21.

Z-2300 uses a costlier external heat sink, so all the heat from the power amps are radiated outside keeping the amplifier cool. The AV-40 uses an internal heat sink, so the heat remains inside the box causing rise of internal temperature. This shortens the life of the amplifier module.

At least the Z-2300 have a potent amplifier using quality components which later can be used else were. On an average the Z-2300 amplifier is 4x costlier than AV-40 amp module.

After the M-Audio AV-40 farce, I would recommend every body to think five times before opting for a 2.0 rather than a 2.1 below $200. Remember a 2.0 will be unable to recreate the sub-bass that a 2.1 can do.

I will go to this extent in saying that the AV-40 amp components are rivaling the cheapest Chinese speakers available at $20. Use of ultra cheap KSC, LXAP & Fujida capacitors, ultra cheap bog standard under powered EI transformer made by Shenzhen Xingyaoda Electronics. I can find no whereabouts of them in the web. Not to mention the use of internal hit-sink and flimsy iron plate separators which starts to rust after 3 months.

Where as my Z-2300 uses SamXon/ CapXon capacitors & a toroidal transformer made by TenPao. These are recognized Chinese companies who at least have there own websites.

The only component in AV-40 that was known to me was the ST Microelectronics power amp. Z-2300 uses four more powerful power amplifiers from the same make.

If M-Audio have gone for Yoda power amp then I think the cheap Chinese speaker companies could have made M-Audio their OEM manufacturer. They could have imported these AV-40's & labeled them as Dragon Killer 2.0 and sold them at $40 in China.

I used to think that 2.0 monitors below $200 uses better quality components than an equivalently priced 2.1 system is utterly wrong. To me AV-40 is not even worth $50. But unfortunately the "M-Audio" name is all one needs to shell out $150.

Last edited:

RishiGuru

neowin.net

Guys this is no personal advertisement, just wanted all of you to know that my review of Logitech Z-2300 was considered good enough for the front page of neowin.net.

neowin-member-reviews-logitech-z-2300-mega-review

This review started as a fun concept & I never thought in my deepest dreams to receive so many well wishes. Thanks to all the members of this forum for the support.

Quote from their neowin.net administrators:

This has to be the most in-depth review I've read for a speaker system. Great job, RishiGuru. (Y) I think you'll be pleased to know that your review made it to the front page: http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-member-reviews-logitech-z-2300-mega-review

They are also asking me, if I am professionally interested to do this kind of reviews. I am yet to think about an answer.

taj mahal

They are also asking me, if I am professionally interested to do this kind of reviews. I am yet to think about an answer.

Yeah it would be great to read more reviews from you.

Do you know whether 2.1 speakers need a sound card?
Do you use a sound card for your z2300?

Last edited:

RishiGuru

Yeah it would be great to read more reviews from you.

Do you know whether 2.1 speakers need a sound card?
Do you use a sound card for your z2300?

No. The on-board Realtek High Definition Audio ALC888 is enough for Z-2300. That stands for me.

Here is the review : Realtek ALC888

Of course you can upgrade with a good card if you want to.

Which 2.1 PC speaker did you buy?

Last edited:

taj mahal

I have ordered mx6021 But I would be able to enjoy them only after 2-3 days.
Eagerly waiting for them.
My motherboard says it can support 8 channel audio.
So what do you think should I shed more money on sound card.
Will there be a great difference with a sound card.

RishiGuru

I have ordered mx6021 But I would be able to enjoy them only after 2-3 days.
Eagerly waiting for them.
My motherboard says it can support 8 channel audio.
So what do you think should I shed more money on sound card.
Will there be a great difference with a sound card.

MX-6021 is right decision for you. No need of any sound card as of now. First hear how it sounds with the on-board audio. If you are not satisfied, then we will proceed. But not now.

Do all of us a little favor. Write a small subjective review of your MX-6021 when it arrives & post it here as a future reference. Also post some nice shots to make your review look alive.

Remember to contribute to the forum you participate. Like writing your own reviews. Big or small does not matter. At least you tried. That makes you a responsible member.

Last edited: