Logitech Z-2300 : Mega Review

RishiGuru

Corsair SP2500

Stumbled upon some new info on the brand new Corsair SP2500 2.1 PC Speaker. Corsair is talking a lot regarding their embedded Digital Signal Processor(DSP) in the system which seems it to be a Texas Instrument TAS3308 chip.

Texas Instrument TAS3308 (DSP)

TAS3308 Block Diagram

TAS3308 (DSP) accepts the analog audio input from the source, then converts it to digital with the help on a Analog to Digital Converter(ADC) before feeding it to the Digital Audio Processor(DAP). The DAP then separates the digital audio signal into three different bands:

1) (20 Hz - 140 Hz) --> Subwoofer
2) (100 Hz - 5 kHz) --> Midrange
3) (5 kHz - 20 kHz) --> Tweeter

I would have loved if Corsair have included an S/PDIF IN. Some sound quality are definitely lost by these unnecessary analog/digital conversions:

Currently,

PC Digital Audio Signal --> PC DAC --> PC Analog Audio --> Corsair 3.5mm jack --> Input Analog Signal --> SP2500's ADC --> Digital Audio Signal

If their was a Digital input in SP2500 then,

PC Digital Audio Signal --> S/PDIF OUT --> coaxial cable --> S/PDIF IN --> Digital Audio Signal

No extra DAC & ADC here resulting in better sound quality. Also $260 is a lot, so Corsair missed an important feature here.

Amplifier Module

Bass driver

The left one shows the concealed chamber of the sub. The amplifier is situated here.

The right one shows the the chamber with the port. The power supply is situated here.

The bass driver seems good, the magnet is the largest I have seen on a 2.1 PC speaker. This is the least to be expected from a $260 2.1 PC speaker. Mind you Logitech Z-2300 is worth only $110.

In the end I still think the SP2500 is overpriced. $200 price tag is justifiable where as $180 would have been a steal.

PunterCam

What a horrible thread.

I'd have thought it obvious - If a set of speakers have a big sub and little 'satellites', it's not going to sound great. What's one of those satellites going to go down to? 4k? So one only gets stereo above 4k? Great. And what, one big clunky 8" is meant to do everything under that? While shoved under my desk?

Aye aye.