Lower temps?

hpi

banned
Right now I have the stock heatsink/fan that came with my cpu which is listen in my Sig.

My temps for my cpu are 71c which is HIGHHH and I don't have like 75$ to dish out right now on a nice zalman cooler because I spent all my money :(

My question is, will replacing the thermal paste or pad keep it atleast a tab bit cooler and if so approximately by how much?

Thanks...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Your rig on your signature you mean? 71C is a bit hot. Arctic Silver 5 will lower temperatures a bit. (maybe 3-10c?). Downclock a bit, get an aftermarket Copper core/full copper Heatsink, Watercooling, bay coolers, case fans

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Then it will lower the the Mhz, and therefore get it cooler. I think it lowerse the FSB and voltage. Get theremal paste and some type of aftermarket cooler. that should help around 5-15C.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe you could do with more airflow inside your case...what about adding a few more fans?
One at the side and if possible one intake fan at the front?

But its probably your cpu cooler thats not very good or the Thermal compound :)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Ah, just remembered, Expansion slot fans, Bay coolers. Those could help and their really cheap... on ebay of course.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
what case do you have?

Does it have any fans on the side? or front?

it would be cheaper to mod your case a little and add some fans than buying a Zalman cooler dont you think:confused:

and just apply some new thermal paste.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
it would be cheaper to mod your case a little and add some fans than buying a Zalman cooler dont you think:confused:

Well if you get a way better CPU cooler then that would be better, even though its sucking in warm/hot air. Recommend AS5 or better, not that white stuff that they cal thermal paste.

hpi

banned
what case do you have?

Does it have any fans on the side? or front?

I took off the whole side panel off the side since a long time ago now. I just have 1 fan blowing ontop of my videocard to keep it cool.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ontop of my video card to keep it cool.

Ontop? Does that mean you have a side vent or something? All I can say is, get a better case with at lease 2 case vents. Or else get some intake bay coolers and some expansion slot exhausts.

hpi

banned
whoa **** im very sleep deprived right now and all this is sounding soooo confusing just to keep my cpu cool.

No No the fan blowing on the videocard I installed it ghetto style actually, I put the fan between the part of the case that holds the hd's and I installed the fan in between that and it rests on my hdd and when I need to I just crank it up and it keeps the card pretty darn cool.

What the side of my case panel does have if you mean it in this way is a big round plastic part to it and when I put it on my case the cpu fan almost goes in and then theres a hole on the outside. I forgot what that's for but I don't think it does much good.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
oh. I think its a wind tunnel / cooling tunnel. I getcha. My Spire BLACKfin III case came with those. It fits right over the CPU fan so it sucks air from the outside , but it lowers RPMS and CFM. Replace it with a 30+ CFM 80mm fan (if it is 80mm) and then put the wind tunnel over it. That should gain over 100RPM (250RPm to my amazingly.)

hpi

banned
oh. I think its a wind tunnel / cooling tunnel. I getcha. My Spire BLACKfin III case came with those. It fits right over the CPU fan so it sucks air from the outside , but it lowers RPMS and CFM. Replace it with a 30+ CFM 80mm fan (if it is 80mm) and then put the wind tunnel over it. That should gain over 100RPM (250RPm to my amazingly.)

Hm how would I be able to do that?

whats the cfm mean again?

damn I feel so stupid, such simple things are so complicated right now. :mad:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
First you'd need a fan the size of your wind tunnel, mine was 80MM, but yours could be some weird size. Get one with At least 5CFM more airflow than your cooler, because the bits of metal/plastic on the the side panel that keeps stuff from going in or hit you will reduce airflow. Take out the wind tunnel, install the fan so it blows into the case. Then install the wind tunnel on top of the fan, so the Fan will be blowing to the CPU fan. I have done a no tunnel just side fan VS side panel fan + tunnel, the no tunnel performed better, because the side fan did not move as much CFM as the CPU fan, therefore reducing CFM, and RPM. That is why getting 5-10more CFM is important.

CFM - Cubic Feet Per Minute, that measures how much airflow it has

EX- 25CFM CPU fan, 35CFM side fan, with wind tunnel .that would gain about 5-8 more CFM, and gain 100+ RPM.

Good luck bro.

hpi

banned
Heres the side:

Sidepanel2.jpg

Sidepanel1.jpg

It's probably an 80mm il try and measure :p

I understand but 1 thing, If you have air being blown towards the cpu fan will that mean that the cpu fan is gonna use that air to further cool the cpu?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Correct! In a way, when the wind tunnel goes over the CPU fan then its probably going to use 90% of the COOL air blown in by the side vent fan. 10% will be the warm air that circulates in the computer, so that sould add CFM, RPM, and take out some C's. If you had an window ac right next to the side fan that would help ALOT too. I am pretty sure your fan is 80MM. Just take out the tunnel, install the fan, get 2 more screw and screw the tunnel onto the fan and done. good luck bro

hpi

banned
Alright sweet thanks.

I also btw have a fan in the back of my pc to take out hot air but it's not plugged right now bc if theres no side panel it has no purpose but that with the side fan would help as well? And The front fan blowing ontop the videocard also blows air towards the back to be pushed out.

elitehacker

You don't really need to resort to such drastic measures!!! :confused: Just make sure that you have good airflow inside your case and you should be fine. Stock cooling should be more than adequate if you don't overclock.

hpi

banned
You don't really need to resort to such drastic measures!!! :confused: Just make sure that you have good airflow inside your case and you should be fine. Stock cooling should be more than adequate if you don't overclock.

The stock heatsink sucks and I always keep it clean and all!