Mac?

DMGrier

VIP Member
If I was looking at a computer for software purpose for like my music and movies would a mac be good for me? Whats your guys opinion's on mac's from a non gaming point of view?

`PaWz

banned
Macbooks are overrated and overpriced. It won't do anything that a PC laptop can't do with multimedia.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I'm not trying to knock regular pc's cause thats what I have always used and I like them but from what I have priced out on mac there reaLLY not that more expensive from what ive seen.

`PaWz

banned
If you configure a lenovo or a dell laptop on their websites, you will see that you can get much better hardware for your money than a macbook ever could.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

Ok I love macs personally from self experince of not having blue screens of death or kernel errors.

Mac:
Pro:
Not much Virus'es (wait for the guy that says ''because no one buys them''
More suited to media making - Photos,Movies,Music and playing or watching them aswell

Cons:
Can't run .EXE so you either need to buy the 100Euros paralles,vmware fusion or use the bootcamp in it.
Video games wont run - Same as above all .exe unless you buy mac compadible ones but some are built using the Power processer instead of intel.

`PaWz

banned
Ok I love macs personally from self experince of not having blue screens of death or kernel errors.
If you're implying that PC's get the BSOD on a regular basis, then you are just full if it.

Please explain how a macbook gives a better multimedia experience. And it can't be something that just makes the OS look fancy.

Kill Bill

If you're implying that PC's get the BSOD on a regular basis, then you are just full if it.

Please explain how a macbook gives a better multimedia experience. And it can't be something that just makes the OS look fancy.

Ok lets see

1. iMovie does not have a crash every two hours (like WMM)
2. It's more orginazed than windows
3. Time machine - So you dont need 400 discs to back up 40days of your life
4. Spaces - I really use this feature alot. It can have upto twelve screens on one monitor. Just hit CTRL And the Up,Down,Left,Right button and you get a new screen and you can go back and foward
5. Garage band - I get alot of fun out of this - What does Windows have, Oh yea Sound recorder
6. No drivers need to be diggen.

Oh yea. Every person I know who has a pc got a blue screen of death atleast 13times

Gareth

Ok lets see

If yours crashes a lot, then there is something wrong with your computer.
The user organizes the interface, its up to you on how cluttered, or clean you want it.
Its called Windows Restore, been around now since Windows ME, and we don't use floppies any more also, no good backing up to those.
4. Spaces - I really use this feature alot. It can have upto twelve screens on one monitor. Just hit CTRL And the Up,Down,Left,Right button and you get a new screen and you can go back and foward
:eek:
5. Garage band - I get alot of fun out of this - What does Windows have, Oh yea Sound recorder
You can download a windows tool, forgot the name of it, does just that.
all dependent on the hardware
Oh yea. Every person I know who has a pc got a blue screen of death atleast 13times
Then they have either cheap and nasty software/hardware or they have viruses, also, you didn't say the operating system, so we'll presume its Windows 3.11 :p
Mac:
Pro:
Not much Virus'es (wait for the guy that says ''because no one buys them''
Exactly, why would coders waste their time on apple when they can spend the same time coding one for Windows, which has a MUCH bigger audience? Because Macs are not very 'popular' that is exactly why there are not many viruses.

There we go.

Above all that, I wouldn't recommend a Mac strictly on the price, you can get a muchhhh better laptop for the price.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

If yours crashes a lot, then there is something wrong with your computer.
The user organizes the interface, its up to you on how cluttered, or clean you want it.
Its called Windows Restore, been around now since Windows ME, and we don't use floppies any more also, no good backing up to those.
:eek:
You can download a windows tool, forgot the name of it, does just that.
all dependent on the hardware
Then they have either cheap and nasty software/hardware or they have viruses, also, you didn't say the operating system, so we'll presume its Windows 3.11 :p

There we go.

Above all that, I wouldn't recommend a Mac strictly on the price, you can get a muchhhh better laptop for the price.
My hardware is top notch and got good results. And everyone else had either ACER,Toshiba,Fujutsi Siemens,Apple

cohen

I would go for a mac... a friend of mine has one and i love it!

I'm starting to save my $$$ for one now. With what i have heard on vista is not good and i would now go for the Mac OS.

All though they are over priced they are very good in the tools for editting and that they don't get viruses.

Gareth

People say Vista is no good, but those are generally the people who

+Have never used it
+Have a slow computer
+Paranoid
+Going off one persons review
+Not detailing enough about why they do not like it.

I hate to say it also, but Macs Do Get Viruses. No operating system is 100% immune, no matter what.

ducis

if your just into movies and music it wont make a diffence
both are excellent however i prefer media center in windows as there isnt a apple made equivalent that i know of of course what i would do if i where you is id get a Asus Eee load windows xp media center edition on to it and have a computer that more then suited your needs.
macs do get viruses by the way its just no one scans on macs/very little anti-virus is available

^my unbiased opinion^
my biased opinion:
MACS SUCK I CANT BELIEVE THERE MARKETING A UNIX architecture WTF AT LEAST WINDOWS IS BASED ON SOMETHING THAT WASNT OPENSOURCE THEY DONT EVEN SELL IT RETAIL

i hate apple as a company there in your face obnoxious marketing hurts my love of computing they dont deserve a penny

Last edited:

ducis

People say Vista is no good, but those are generally the people who

+Have never used it
+Have a slow computer
+Paranoid
+Going off one persons review
+Not detailing enough about why they do not like it.

I hate to say it also, but Macs Do Get Viruses. No operating system is 100% immune, no matter what.

WTF i know a guy who didnt know that he had to download a flash plugin so he couldn't play his internet games and he blamed it on vista:mad:

speedyink

VIP Member
Wow, this thread escalated quickly:p

Man am I really getting sick of hearing "I heard Vista blah blah blah". You know what, stfu or try it out before spreading crap about it.

Not talking to anyone in particular, but I'm just saying...

Kill Bill

I would go for a mac... a friend of mine has one and i love it!

I'm starting to save my $$$ for one now. With what i have heard on vista is not good and i would now go for the Mac OS.

All though they are over priced they are very good in the tools for editting and that they don't get viruses.

DITTO. which one are you getting? I'm saving up for the pro + First time builder - We use front row

cohen

DITTO. which one are you getting? I'm saving up for the pro + First time builder - We use front row

I'm going for a Mac Book Pro... 15 inch 2.5GHZ... 2GB Ram.. Glossy Screen..

Not getting a mouse... getting a bag and i don't know about a remote yet... but when i start my job next year in jan... i have a few projects before getting money for mac.....

ipod video
dual screen
other computer bits
mac book pro :D:D:D:D!!!!

`PaWz

banned
So, DMgrier, the conclusion is basically that buying a mac is not worth it. A PC laptop will do everything you need it to do at a much lower price

Kill Bill

I'm going for a Mac Book Pro... 15 inch 2.5GHZ... 2GB Ram.. Glossy Screen..

Not getting a mouse... getting a bag and i don't know about a remote yet... but when i start my job next year in jan... i have a few projects before getting money for mac.....

ipod video
dual screen
other computer bits
mac book pro :D:D:D:D!!!!

I'm getting the 17'' with the 2.6GHz at least I know when upgrades come next year (target) The 17'' be upgraded first. Heres the rig I want

Intel core 2 duo 2.6GHz
2gb ram - Normal (I'll be 4gb ram later on and install it)
8600M GT 512mb GDDR3
250GB HDD
iWork 08 Installed
(Have final cut express in a disc so thats k)
Big glossy Screen

-------------Back on topic after spamming for a reply-------------------------
Generally if you just want to do word documents and watch films get a cheap laptop + If you dont mind reparing it from blue screen of deaths

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Ok lets see

1. I've never had WMM crash on me. As a matter of fact, I think most of us haven't - if it crashes on you every two hours, there's something wrong with your computer. That's like saying "I like car #1 better because car #2 doesn't work too well for me. I know that it needs maintenance but I'm too dumb to fix it, so I'll just blame it for being that way!"

2. The user is the one who organizes his/her stuff. I'd love to believe that macs have a feature that sets up the interface the way you like it and oranizes your file/stuff perfectly with a single click of a button, but I don't think they do...

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore been around for a while...

4. I can go to nView desktop management and do the same trick, *and* I can use some bit easier keyboard combinations that don't require you to have your buddy with you to help press all the damn buttons.

5. In the "internet" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet ) there's thousands of programs classified as "freeware" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware ) that you can freely download, use, distribute and so on. Oh and btw, these don't work on mac since they're ".exe" files... so while I'm off to my pro studio, you're stuck in your dusty "garage". Beat that!

6. And no hardware can be customized. Oh yes, you can add more memory... and even change your HDs, right? and even the PSU??? Really? Wow... beats PC, alright *cough* *cough*.

Oh yea. The only OS that has *ever* BSOD on me is windows 98... and all it takes is "pressing a key to continue". Wham, the BSOD is gone and it's stable. The only time I had to restart my machine because of a BSOD was when I pulled a memorystick and other random components off my computer while it was up and running. BSOD, to me, has never been more than a "Bluescreen of momentary annoyance a couple of times a year".

I've absolutely nothing against macs/mac users, but exaggerating faults of PCs/windows is just bloody annoying - like macs were perfect or something. They're not, they might be (and are) better than PCs in many ways, we all know that, but PCs have their advantages, too. Don't forget that majority of people have PCs/windows, probably for a reason...