Mac?

Kill Bill

1. I've never had WMM crash on me. As a matter of fact, I think most of us haven't - if it crashes on you every two hours, there's something wrong with your computer. That's like saying "I like car #1 better because car #2 doesn't work too well for me. I know that it needs maintenance but I'm too dumb to fix it, so I'll just blame it for being that way!"

2. The user is the one who organizes his/her stuff. I'd love to believe that macs have a feature that sets up the interface the way you like it and oranizes your file/stuff perfectly with a single click of a button, but I don't think they do...

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore been around for a while...

4. I can go to nView desktop management and do the same trick, *and* I can use some bit easier keyboard combinations that don't require you to have your buddy with you to help press all the damn buttons.

5. In the "internet" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet ) there's thousands of programs classified as "freeware" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware ) that you can freely download, use, distribute and so on. Oh and btw, these don't work on mac since they're ".exe" files... so while I'm off to my pro studio, you're stuck in your dusty "garage". Beat that!

6. And no hardware can be customized. Oh yes, you can add more memory... and even change your HDs, right? and even the PSU??? Really? Wow... beats PC, alright *cough* *cough*.

Oh yea. The only OS that has *ever* BSOD on me is windows 98... and all it takes is "pressing a key to continue". Wham, the BSOD is gone and it's stable. The only time I had to restart my machine because of a BSOD was when I pulled a memorystick and other random components off my computer while it was up and running. BSOD, to me, has never been more than a "Bluescreen of momentary annoyance a couple of times a year".

I've absolutely nothing against macs/mac users, but exaggerating faults of PCs/windows is just bloody annoying - like macs were perfect or something. They're not, they might be (and are) better than PCs in many ways, we all know that, but PCs have their advantages, too. Don't forget that majority of people have PCs/windows, probably for a reason...

Why do you keep forgeting the one 3 letters that defines the sentence. IMO

aSc1@3

i'd have to agree with macs being WAY to expensive, and you can get the same hardware in a mac for less, put it in a case, install a linux distro, add a dock and fake os x theme, and no one would no the difference from osx just from the monitor. and you can get WINE, which is totally legal, and run all your windows-only software(as long as it is legal:D) if you like osx so much. but anyway, DMGrier, i would get a pc or custom build a pc and get linux.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Yes it does. As i said before no one is right nor wrong:rolleyes:

Really? How about this: 2+2=4. Well you CAN go on arguing that it's just my opinion, and that in your opinion 2+2= -3.76 and no one is right nor wrong. And I can't recall you saying "IMO" when you listed those six over-exaggerated, at best half-true things why macs rule so hard. Just don't got over the edge when you're publicly worshipping the mighty apple, and everything will be fine.

Kill Bill

Really? How about this: 2+2=4. Well you CAN go on arguing that it's just my opinion, and that in your opinion 2+2= -3.76 and no one is right nor wrong. And I can't recall you saying "IMO" when you listed those six over-exaggerated, at best half-true things why macs rule so hard. Just don't got over the edge when you're publicly worshipping the mighty apple, and everything will be fine.

I made a statment saying 2+2=4 is a statment

Also`PaWz how do you know? every laptop cheaper than the mac could be badly built IMO.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I made a statment saying 2+2=4 is a statment

What's this supposed to mean? You never made such statement...

Anyway, I've been using a lot of "cheapo" laptops, and I've never had any problems with them. Even though they all have had windows installed on them, they work just great. They're not "badly built" or anything like that.

AFAIK macs are overpriced, and that's the way I'll be thinking unless someone proves otherwise or mac prices come down. Period.

I'd go with aSc1@3's idea. PCs are cheaper than MACs, and with linux you won't have the stability/reliability/security issues of windows - and it's free. Of course, if money's not the problem you might as well go with a macbook, those things look damn nice + they've got this cool backlit keyboard (if that matters to you - but I'd really like one). And now that macs have intel CPUs in them, you can still use windows and/or linux. However, if budget matters, you'd probably better off with a PC.

CPTMuller

The thing is, when you buy a Mac, you are paying for software and for the aesthetics of a mac. KillBill, you are in the middle of a group of enthusiasts who like hardware. Personally I don't think that I could justify buying a mac because it can't do anything that my PC can't do (with my customizations, and unique software library). The fact that so many people think that iMovie, and some simple applications such as "Spaces", which are not useful unless you want the feature, and can be easily replicated on a windows PC, if you desire.

Kill Bill

The thing is, when you buy a Mac, you are paying for software and for the aesthetics of a mac. KillBill, you are in the middle of a group of enthusiasts who like hardware. Personally I don't think that I could justify buying a mac because it can't do anything that my PC can't do (with my customizations, and unique software library). The fact that so many people think that iMovie, and some simple applications such as "Spaces", which are not useful unless you want the feature, and can be easily replicated on a windows PC, if you desire.
Spaces is not useful. Only if you knew. I didnt want it when I used leopard it just became very convienent

speedyink

VIP Member
All you have to do it search on youtube "mac vs PC"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Errr, no thanks. I hear that shit enough from the Mac users in real life.

Every laptop cheaper than a Mac badly built? Thats a laugh. Sure, Macs have quality parts in them, and cheap PC's most likely don't, but don't forget the in between here. There are more expensive PC's (which still don't run as pricey as a Mac) which are built great with quality parts, some of which are better than whats in a Mac. What are you paying for in a Mac then? Style, Little extra features (backlit keyboard...errr...and...a backlit apple logo?), and of course the Apple tax.

Now I have to stress out that I dont hate Macs. I used them for a full semester for Video class. I did really like the Mac, and did want one, but I could not justify the price to performance ratio. I also didn't like the lack of support for the programs I know and love. I also learnt first hand that Macs aren't perfect like a lot of the users like to say. Just like if you don't take care of a PC, if neglected (I'm talking software here), Mac's run just as crappy as a neglected PC. 10-20 Minute startup times, random crashes (which are worse in Mac because instead of trying to explain what happened, It gives you THE most half assed errors ever that pretty much say "I'm closing this program because I feel like it"), and total system lockups. As for the OS itself I don't find it to be any more organized than Windows...IMO (<-- Thats for you Kill Bill).

SO in conclusion to the OP, Mac, PC, it's YOUR choice and YOU have to make the decision. There are too many people in this world that will try to sway you one way or the other, and most likely they're full of shit. If you can afford it and have used OSX before (and like it of course), then by all means get a Mac. If you just want it for playing music and watching movies and stuff, be like ING Direct and "save your money" and get a much cheaper PC.

Last edited:

CPTMuller

Spaces is not useful. Only if you knew. I didnt want it when I used leopard it just became very convienent

I use a windows UI shell that lets me use multiple desktop spaces. I just think that it is a null point because there are a lot of free ways to do it.

PunterCam

For a laptop, mac handsdown. You can spec the equivalent pc laptop better, but it would still be pretty useless for any hardcore processing or gaming at that price level. For what you want a macbook would be great - they are small though, check them out in the shops - you may want a bigger screen if you plan on doing anything in great detail (design work or something).

`PaWz

banned
For a laptop, mac handsdown. You can spec the equivalent pc laptop better, but it would still be pretty useless for any hardcore processing or gaming at that price level. For what you want a macbook would be great - they are small though, check them out in the shops - you may want a bigger screen if you plan on doing anything in great detail (design work or something).
So, what are the actual benefits of a macbook, again?

`PaWz

banned
Good looks
Yes, let's all spend hundreds of dollars extra on a laptop because it looks pretty and gives you absolutely nothing else.
and a few nice features.
There's nothing that Mac OS has that XP or Vista can't do.
And it makes your wallet lighter, too, which of course means that it's easier&more convenient to carry.
You mean a macbook eats through your wallet? You're definitely right on that one!

Last edited: