macbook 2.4ghz

Juan Querendon

whats special about this I bought it rather than a car, and I havent seen anything special sure it runs leopard and cod5 and all but my friends 999$ hp runs cod5 with a bigger resolution than mine, so if you know anything good about my machine please make me know, like how to make it run games smoother or with bigger resolution and how to improve the frame rate.
last question is the macbook even compatible with nvidia physx?

Kill Bill

Your MacBook is good. All we need to know so far is it plastic or aluminum. If aluminium it's capable of gaming once you use bootcamp. If it's plastic you wont have any gaming oppertuinitys unless their very little 3D. Now the advantages of macbook: Better software in terms of use of ease than windows applications like comparing final cut express to premier elements is like easy - Hard so the MacBook has better software avalible. Also they can last 5-7 years. As a 2002 powerbook g4 can run today's leopard

Your MacBook is good. All we need to know so far is it plastic or aluminum. If aluminium it's capable of gaming once you use bootcamp. If it's plastic you wont have any gaming oppertuinitys unless their very little 3D. Now the advantages of macbook: Better software in terms of use of ease than windows applications like comparing final cut express to premier elements is like easy - Hard so the MacBook has better software avalible. Also they can last 5-7 years. As a 2002 powerbook g4 can run today's leopard

... If a modern version of a $1000 macbook laptop can't play 3D games it should not exist as a company. You give no examples of "better software" except for "final cut express" .. That software costs $200, and you can get versions of Avid for windows for around that cost. Also, read the reviews on it from the official Apple website. 3.5/5 = C, average. Adobe premier elements has NOTHING to do with Apple, as it is available on PC and Macs. And that so called laptop from 2002 you were talking about has a 32mb graphics card, DVD reader, 40gb hard drive, And 2 USB 1.1's, and an 800mhz singlecore processor. Yeah, maybe it can run a mac OS today, but could it do any modern tasks like play Call of duty 3 even, which is outdated, or even run microsoft office without lagging? No.

DMGrier

VIP Member
As I say, windows are just as good as the mac. With windows you just need to know what software is best for your needs. A lot of people don't research what media (music, video and photo) software is good so instead they just go buy something from bestbuy without seeing if it offers what they will need. That is the only down fall when you have just about every thing compatible with your windows computer, there are a few crappy software companies. If people would learn to use google. As far as gaming quality goes your macbook won't compete with pc because for the price the pc still has better graphic cards. The 1200$ hp offer nvidia 9600m GT 512 MB where as with mac you have to buy a damn near 2000$ macbook pro to get the nvidia 9600m GT 256 MB card. You should have bought a pc.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

... If a modern version of a $1000 macbook laptop can't play 3D games it should not exist as a company. You give no examples of "better software" except for "final cut express" .. That software costs $200, and you can get versions of Avid for windows for around that cost. Also, read the reviews on it from the official Apple website. 3.5/5 = C, average. Adobe premier elements has NOTHING to do with Apple, as it is available on PC and Macs. And that so called laptop from 2002 you were talking about has a 32mb graphics card, DVD reader, 40gb hard drive, And 2 USB 1.1's, and an 800mhz singlecore processor. Yeah, maybe it can run a mac OS today, but could it do any modern tasks like play Call of duty 3 even, which is outdated, or even run microsoft office without lagging? No.
No actually. I just installed Leopard on my cousins ibook g4 1.33GHz from 2004 and runs Microsoft office non laggy. Also you never told me that a 2002 laptop could run vista and call of duty 3. Also Avid lol is a universal Mac program and Avid is totally not for people. Tlarkin! Get in here!

As I say, windows are just as good as the mac. With windows you just need to know what software is best for your needs. A lot of people don't research what media (music, video and photo) software is good so instead they just go buy something from bestbuy without seeing if it offers what they will need. That is the only down fall when you have just about every thing compatible with your windows computer, there are a few crappy software companies. If people would learn to use google. As far as gaming quality goes your macbook won't compete with pc because for the price the pc still has better graphic cards. The 1200$ hp offer nvidia 9600m GT 512 MB where as with mac you have to buy a damn near 2000$ macbook pro to get the nvidia 9600m GT 256 MB card. You should have bought a pc.
He never told us what he uses it for. If he owns a PC or a 360 should he buy a computer to play that game if his xbox or ps3 can play it.

Ok sum it all up:

If you want to do media editing Easily go Mac as final cut is totally easier and is powerful It's practically final cut pro without support for Colour,Motion etc. You have Aperture for photo editing but even iphoto will do basic ok and you can use garage band pre-installed or get logic pro/express.

Now! If you game:
You would have at least needed to pay 1,299$ for a MacBook with: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 duo 2GB DDR3 Memory Yea thats right DDR3 Show me a 1,299 Computer with DDR3 installed! 160GB hard drive NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics But I'm sure someone can find a faster computer with DDR3 memory and budgets 1,299$ oh and the CPU has to be (T8100 or greater

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
whats special about this I bought it rather than a car, and I havent seen anything special sure it runs leopard and cod5 and all but my friends 999$ hp runs cod5 with a bigger resolution than mine, so if you know anything good about my machine please make me know, like how to make it run games smoother or with bigger resolution and how to improve the frame rate.
last question is the macbook even compatible with nvidia physx?

You are only limited to what you use your computer for. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your computer? What are your interests with it? If you want to just play video games, Macs aren't really the best choice for that, however they are very powerful and great machines.

Oh please get out of here hater, you don't even know what you are talking about. Let me simply explain it to you, Unix > Windows. That is right, for starters, OS X is better than Windows in many possible ways because it is Unix based. There how about that for software for starters? Now lets go into OS design of self contained apps, user level prefs versus system level, no clunky ass registry, EFI support, I could go on and on but you would go back to your narrow scope of gaming. LOL I run MS office on 6,500 Macs at work just fine, so please GTFO with your poor attempt of trolling.

You make good points but you can't compare the 1200 HP to a 2000 MBP because the sepcs don't match up. The MBP has more standard features, higher quality components, a more expensive LCD screen, and is made of metal, not a plastic. You can't compare the two because they are both in different classes

If you just want to game, then get a PC, if you want to do a variety of things and want the simple mac way to work, and the stability of OS X then get a Mac. They both have their faults and they both have their pros.

Cleric7x9

Now! If you game:
You would have at least needed to pay 1,299$ for a MacBook with: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 duo 2GB DDR3 Memory Yea thats right DDR3 Show me a 1,299 Computer with DDR3 installed! 160GB hard drive NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics But I'm sure someone can find a faster computer with DDR3 memory and budgets 1,299$ oh and the CPU has to be (T8100 or greater

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131024

bigger hdd, more RAM, better graphics card, and less money. slower CPU tho. im not taking sides in this tho.

tlarkin

VIP Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131024

bigger hdd, more RAM, better graphics card, and less money. slower CPU tho. im not taking sides in this tho.

That is almost comparable, it also has a less quality screen, no high powered USB ports (new feature in the new Macbooks and MBP), no SMS, it does have blue tooth and N wifi.

It is also heavier and not 1" thick, which to me are features of a laptop. Laptops are meant for mobility and when you have to haul one around every day for work the lighter it is, is a key feature. This doesn't apply to those people who use their laptops like desktops, then again those people don't make any sense to me.

I would still say it isn't comparable, nor does it come with packaged software that the Apple does.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I understand about how a 1200$ hp isn't in the same class as a macbook pro, but the guy was talking about cod5 and even though the macbook nvidia 9400m is a huge improvement over x3100 I feel that apple is ripping people off cause for the price most pc's come with better graphic cards. I do not pc game anymore so it doesn't matter to me but I continue to own pc cause when I bought this Dell little over a year ago it was in competition with the macbook but about five hundred less dollars. It play a few games, edit's my movies and photos, and plays and rips my music and DVD's. You say packaged software so assume you mean ilife correct? On pc we don'call it ilife, its just software on our computer like windows media player, windows media center(Burns DVD and CD and helps with TV hook up and more), windows photo gallery, windows movie maker, and games. I'm not saying apple is bad, I just hate how apple users often say things or act like microsoft can't do it when it usually is a lie. My only beef with apple is there old commercials of "hi I'm a mac and I'm a pc" because they put up so many lies in there it's not even funny, any person slightly computer literate would be able to see that.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I understand about how a 1200$ hp isn't in the same class as a macbook pro, but the guy was talking about cod5 and even though the macbook nvidia 9400m is a huge improvement over x3100 I feel that apple is ripping people off cause for the price most pc's come with better graphic cards. I do not pc game anymore so it doesn't matter to me but I continue to own pc cause when I bought this Dell little over a year ago it was in competition with the macbook but about five hundred less dollars. It play a few games, edit's my movies and photos, and plays and rips my music and DVD's. You say packaged software so assume you mean ilife correct? On pc we don'call it ilife, its just software on our computer like windows media player, windows media center(Burns DVD and CD and helps with TV hook up and more), windows photo gallery, windows movie maker, and games. I'm not saying apple is bad, I just hate how apple users often say things or act like microsoft can't do it when it usually is a lie. My only beef with apple is there old commercials of "hi I'm a mac and I'm a pc" because they put up so many lies in there it's not even funny, any person slightly computer literate would be able to see that.

I am also a PC user and a Mac user and Linux user and a Unix user. I can tell you that iLife trumps the hell out of any Windows built in Application like Windows Movie Maker and the photo editor, I don't even consider those competition. The iLife apps are like a billion times more powerful, better, and easier to use. Sure you can do it with Windows out of the box, but not anywhere near a Mac can, and you don't have to be super computer savvy to use them because Apple makes them pretty easy to use. Which is a selling point, because your average user just wants it to work, period.

You also are missing a lot of built in features from the HP than you are over a Mac, which some people may not use or even understand. The SMS (sudden motion sensor) is a fantastic feature that will shut off your HD if it detects the laptop is falling, so it won't become damaged if you knock it over. Features like that, people don't even begin to understand that they are there and take them for granted.

WMP sucks, and doesn't play everything out of the box it requires all sorts of codecs, which I don't like. I use VLC pretty much on all my systems, Mac, Linux and Windows combined.

Out of the box the Mac has more functional and more well built features than any PC does, plus they are engineered a certain way with finess. The new Macbooks are all one piece, and they are all metal. That means that an industrial mill cuts out that one piece out of a sheet of metal. They did this to reduce bowing, buldging, and other problems you see when laptop cases are made from several parts. You are also paying for the engineering that goes into it, like you would a German car. It being only 1" thick is also awesome in my opinion.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I dont know that you should have bought it over a car, but you definitely got a good machine there.

I thought I would add my two cents on the Windows-MAC debate. A year ago I would have been completely hardcore on the windows side of things as Ive been a windows user for ages. Sure it plays games and handles my media pretty well, but when it came time for me to start getting into home recording which made me realize where Windows struggles so badly. I have a pretty decent machine (see sig) and used to have Windows installed and ran Cubase and Cool Edit Pro with a Tascam US-144 interface. What a drag!

First off it took forever to find all the correct codecs and drivers to make these programs talk to Vista and my interface and when they finally did they ran at an acceptable speed but I knew my machine could do so much better than it was being allowed to do.

Long story short, My brother who owns a recording studio recently switched from an all analog setup to an all digital Pro Tools rig with a Mac (dont ask which one, its the one thats only the screen, no tower) and that thing blew my computer out the water in every possible way with less ram and a slower processor!

The final straw with windows for me was that recently I tried to create a new partition to install linux to using vistas partition manager and for whatever reason it fubar'd everything and wouldnt let me boot into windows period!

So now im running Linux and I am bound determined that I wont go back. I got CoD4 running and GTA San Andreas so im set with my two favorite games, audacity for recording, open office for word apps, etc etc... and its all free!

So yeah, i used to love windows, now I dont and probably wont go back until I absolutely have to.

brycematheson712

I'm pretty fed up with Windows myself. It makes me so angry how you can purchase a brand new computer, load it with only a few programs, and it bogs down and runs like crap! I also hate how Microsoft has such a hold on your system and can fill it with useless crap that does nothing (Windows Updates). Last night I finally got fed up with Vista and reverted back to Windows XP. Taking the time to find all the drivers was definitely worth it.

I'm making an oath right now to never buy another PC again. As soon as I head to college, I'm getting a Mac.

Stick with your Mac bud. It'll give you fewer problems in the long run.

tlarkin

VIP Member
To be honest, the biggest thing I hate the most about Windows is all the DRM that goes with it, which definitely causes issues.

That and my Vista machine crashes every now and then for no apparent reason, the system logs don't even give me any error messages.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
This doesn't apply to those people who use their laptops like desktops, then again those people don't make any sense to me.
I have a laptop, even though one reason I got it because it's easy to carry around (take it to library where we get free internet, or when I go visit my cousin's who are no fun :D), I still use it very much as my desktop (go to library once or twice a week). Now, why would anyone do that... to me, that was my only option since it was the only sub-$450 computer I could find (desktops included) and I desperately needed to replace my P3-rig running Win98SE. Some people who don't need the power desktops can offer get them because they consume so much less power than desktops, and also because they're smaller & unibody - one of the things I hate is the mess of cables behind and around my computer... there are plenty of reasons to get a lappy for desktop use.

WMP sucks, and doesn't play everything out of the box it requires all sorts of codecs, which I don't like. I use VLC pretty much on all my systems, Mac, Linux and Windows combined.
Ever tried Amarok for Linux? ;) Should blow you away.

Kill Bill

To be honest, the biggest thing I hate the most about Windows is all the DRM that goes with it, which definitely causes issues.

That and my Vista machine crashes every now and then for no apparent reason, the system logs don't even give me any error messages.

Yea the DRM and I hate the licencing system. I uninstalled vista from my vaio laptop to put vista on my MBP and 3 phone calls from microsoft got it working. 3! Why couldn't they have proper licencing like os x. Oh heres one. Microsofts Greedy! 300-500Bucks for a vista ultimate on 1 computer and OS X is 129 bucks for 1 computer and 199 bucks for 5 computers! Like come on!

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have a laptop, even though one reason I got it because it's easy to carry around (take it to library where we get free internet, or when I go visit my cousin's who are no fun :D), I still use it very much as my desktop (go to library once or twice a week). Now, why would anyone do that... to me, that was my only option since it was the only sub-$450 computer I could find (desktops included) and I desperately needed to replace my P3-rig running Win98SE. Some people who don't need the power desktops can offer get them because they consume so much less power than desktops, and also because they're smaller & unibody - one of the things I hate is the mess of cables behind and around my computer... there are plenty of reasons to get a lappy for desktop use.

Ever tried Amarok for Linux? ;) Should blow you away.

What I meant is, some people look at laptop size and weight, because they do have to haul it around all the time. People that aren't as mobile with their laptops don't care about such things. My backpack I lug around all day every day is around 45lbs or so with all my tools, software, binders, cables and laptop. So, laptop weight does matter to me. I would never haul around something that weighed more than like 6 lbs.

"LOL I run MS office on 6,500 Macs at work just fine, so please GTFO with your poor attempt of trolling." I really don't care that you call me a troll if it makes you happy, or that you have 6,500 macs. You always talk about that, it must bring pleasure to you. And if you can run microsoft office on your 6500 macs, Good for you, but we were talking about laptops from 2002 with 32mb graphics cards, 800mhz single core processors, running office 2007.

"Yea the DRM and I hate the licencing system. I uninstalled vista from my vaio laptop to put vista on my MBP and 3 phone calls from microsoft got it working. 3! Why couldn't they have proper licencing like os x. Oh heres one. Microsofts Greedy! 300-500Bucks for a vista ultimate on 1 computer and OS X is 129 bucks for 1 computer and 199 bucks for 5 computers! Like come on!" -- Killbill, you call microsoft greedy when they let Mac freely run windows on bootcamp, unlike macs do for windows.

Kill Bill

"LOL I run MS office on 6,500 Macs at work just fine, so please GTFO with your poor attempt of trolling." I really don't care that you call me a troll if it makes you happy, or that you have 6,500 macs. You always talk about that, it must bring pleasure to you. And if you can run microsoft office on your 6500 macs, Good for you, but we were talking about laptops from 2002 with 32mb graphics cards, 800mhz single core processors, running office 2007.

"Yea the DRM and I hate the licencing system. I uninstalled vista from my vaio laptop to put vista on my MBP and 3 phone calls from microsoft got it working. 3! Why couldn't they have proper licencing like os x. Oh heres one. Microsofts Greedy! 300-500Bucks for a vista ultimate on 1 computer and OS X is 129 bucks for 1 computer and 199 bucks for 5 computers! Like come on!" -- Killbill, you call microsoft greedy when they let Mac freely run windows on bootcamp, unlike macs do for windows.
If macs could run freely on windows they would have to prefect the drivers on pretty much every piece of hardware created. Oh and BTW 800MHz G4 can totally run Microsoft office and 32mb 440MX Graphics sure thats a 2002 powerbook g4. Also since Leopard isn't graphic hog it can run on anything pretty much anything. that could toast microsoft office 2008 as it can sure run a game like the sims 2

DMGrier

VIP Member
Ill agree with a lot of the things but I will disagree with you saying wmp sucks. I think it is far better than itunes, I have format many of my movies for my ipod and some work with itunes and some don't even though I put them in the same format. And how could a 2002 macbook G4 run the sims 2 when the macbook with a x3100 would struggle to run the sims 2?

Last edited:

Kill Bill

Ill agree with a lot of the things but I will disagree with you saying wmp sucks. I think it is far better than itunes, I have format many of my movies for my ipod and some work with itunes and some don't even though I put them in the same format. And how could a 2002 macbook G4 run the sims 2 when the macbook with a x3100 would struggle to run the sims 2?

Again The thing about the sims 2 was it's not optimized even on a quad core computer

Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
PowerPC G4 processor or higher
256MB of RAM
3GB hard disk space
32MB of video RAM (Radeon 9000, GeForce FX5200 or better)
DVD Drive