macbook 2.4ghz

neogamer

Guys, I've got my PC for gaming. I want a laptop for mostly other stuff - email, surfing, word processing, and maybe some light gaming.

Any suggestions? I like the MACBBOOK, but is the screen that much better? weight and size are considerations - want to keep the price down but don't want to have purchase a new one in 1/2 years either.

Confused?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Guys, I've got my PC for gaming. I want a laptop for mostly other stuff - email, surfing, word processing, and maybe some light gaming.

Any suggestions? I like the MACBBOOK, but is the screen that much better? weight and size are considerations - want to keep the price down but don't want to have purchase a new one in 1/2 years either.

Confused?

First off, it is just Macbook, no need to scream the name. Secondly, you could get away with all of what you want a laptop for with a netbook, which would be your cheapest option. Email, surfing, word processing is some of the most basic of the basic features you can do on your machine.

What exactly do you want to do with a laptop?

Kill Bill

If you need something that will last for years then go mac. Otherwise like what Tlarkin says a netbook will work

claytonr1973

If you need something that will last for years then go mac. Otherwise like what Tlarkin says a netbook will work

I'd better see what's wrong with my 7 yr old Inspiron 8200. It's not a Mac and it still runs like a top. Really,this fanboy stuff is just like Ford vs Cheby,no one will win on which is better. Price wise Pc wins everytime and if you can't admit that you've had too much koolaid. On top of the Mac being more expensive,you have to add the price of a copy of windows just so you can run all your old programs. What's a copy of windows go for now, $300? The last PC vs Mac discusion had the Mac at $500 dollars higher, not counting windows.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I'd better see what's wrong with my 7 yr old Inspiron 8200. It's not a Mac and it still runs like a top. Really,this fanboy stuff is just like Ford vs Cheby,no one will win on which is better. Price wise Pc wins everytime and if you can't admit that you've had too much koolaid. On top of the Mac being more expensive,you have to add the price of a copy of windows just so you can run all your old programs. What's a copy of windows go for now, $300? The last PC vs Mac discusion had the Mac at $500 dollars higher, not counting windows.

Excellent point, 7 years old? thats nice. My other dell is going on 4 years old and my parents had a CTX desktop that they had for 5 years and they got rid of it just to upgrade it still work fine. And the Dell I listed in my signature I have only had for a year but it has maybe been turned off 2 or 3 24 hour periods since I have owned it.

Last edited:

rydin4life

My friend and I both have laptops, both with 15" screens, both with 2 gigs of ram, both wtih webcams and both new models this year. Mine runs a 1.6Ghz processor and his runs 1.8 or 2. I have a 160 gig hd and he has either a 160 or 250. Mine is a pc that cost me $550 and his is a mac which cost him $1500 AFTER $450 of cyber monday rebates. Sorry, but the extra 2-400 mhz of cpu and extra gigs of hd just doesn't make sense for another 1k. I wouldn't mind having a mac to familiarize myself with the os, but for that kind of cash, its rediculous.

DMGrier

VIP Member
All the apple users will say to you is that there computers are made from better quality parts and materials,which I won't disagree with that. But why do you need that quality, In my experience the average windows laptop that is maintance will last 4-6 years and I don't see why someone would want a laptop for any longer than that. Windows laptop's are still of a good quality too and far less in price.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

All the apple users will say to you is that there computers are made from better quality parts and materials,which I won't disagree with that. But why do you need that quality, In my experience the average windows laptop that is maintance will last 4-6 years and I don't see why someone would want a laptop for any longer than that. Windows laptop's are still of a good quality too and far less in price.

And does that dell run vista ultimate Since indeed apple has 1 OS all featured and runs on 867MHz PowerBook G4 from 2002

DMGrier

VIP Member
Why do I need vista ultimate? I guess if I wanted to go over 3.5 GB of memory Then yeah vista ultimate would be nice. And if I was in the market for a new laptop for say 7-800$ (5-400$ less than a mac) I can get one with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I'm not saying apple are bad computers, what I'm saying is to compare the quality difference bewteen pc ad mac when most pc's are on average hundreds of dollars less.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

Why do I need vista ultimate? I guess if I wanted to go over 3.5 GB of memory Then yeah vista ultimate would be nice. And if I was in the market for a new laptop for say 7-800$ (5-400$ less than a mac) I can get one with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I'm not saying apple are bad computers, what I'm saying is to compare the quality difference bewteen pc ad mac when most pc's are on average hundreds of dollars less.

No. Get your 6 year old laptop and put a the ultimate version of vista on it. See how it works?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Good point, but this thread isn't about how bloated Vista is. I have never said or will say the os x 10 leopard isn't better than vista. I have played around on it on my buddy macbook and I like it but I would have a hard time paying 1200$ for what I use a pc for.

Kill Bill

Good point, but this thread isn't about how bloated Vista is. I have never said or will say the os x 10 leopard isn't better than vista. I have played around on it on my buddy macbook and I like it but I would have a hard time paying 1200$ for what I use a pc for.

But the eariler post I mentioned just said If you need something that will last 6 years and will upgrade all OS'es then go mac

Who really cares about a 6-8 year old computer? If they want to be running new apps and os's on 8 year old computers they know nothing about computers. Any 6 year old computer is trash by today's standards that has not been upgraded, to get a decent graphics card / ram / hdd / cpu in an old mac laptop would be pretty expensive.

gamerman4

This thread is pretty useless. It doesn't matter who makes it, or what OS it has. Any computer can pretty much do anything any other computer can and do it within roughly the same price.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Who really cares about a 6-8 year old computer? If they want to be running new apps and os's on 8 year old computers they know nothing about computers. Any 6 year old computer is trash by today's standards that has not been upgraded, to get a decent graphics card / ram / hdd / cpu in an old mac laptop would be pretty expensive.

This coming from someone who buys an Alienware laptop?

tlarkin

VIP Member
So now you're discriminating against me? Kill bill owned an Alienware Area-51 M9750 laptop, why is it so big a deal if you own an Alienware?

Discriminating? No, I am saying the melting pot is calling the kettle black when you try to say Macs are over priced. Alienware are also over priced, and they are pieces of junk IMO and a waste of money. Of course that is MY opinion.

I could care less what Kill Bill has either. I don't think a 12 year old needs a Macbook Pro, but that is also just my opinion.