major graphics problem

Perkomate

OK, so I was just browsing the internet, when suddenly...

27355733.png

This got worse until I couldn't actually see anything. I then shut down the computer.

On startup, there was no display on the screen.
I tried another card on the same spot, still nothing.

I then tried my normal card in the secondary slot, and there is a display, except everything is blue.
I tried the backup card in the secondary slot, and it's all yellow now.

I have also tried a different monitor, no change.

I haven't updated drivers since the latest version came out about 2 weeks ago, so it's not that.

What could it be?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try resetting the cmos by removing the battery. If it doesn't help, you have a bad motherboard.

Okedokey

Do you use MS Security? If so, remove it. its shit and ive seen it do this before on AMD cards (in fact it was a 5770).

Secondly, it looks like overheating to me.

Thirdly that PSU is complete garbage and could also be causing the issue (needs replacing regardless).

Perkomate

Do you use MS Security? If so, remove it. its shit and ive seen it do this before on AMD cards (in fact it was a 5770).

Secondly, it looks like overheating to me.

Thirdly that PSU is complete garbage and could also be causing the issue (needs replacing regardless).

do you mean microsoft security essentials? I'll try that.

It's not overheating, I wasn't gaming or anything and the fan still spins fine.
The card works, by the way.
The same thing happens if I use a different card.

PSU isn't the greatest but it's alright. For a system that uses low power like mine I don't see that much of a problem.

If it is the motherboard, I'll most likely be getting a new GPU, power supply, motherboard and case so no worries.

-edit-
Reset CMOS, no change.
Removed MSE, no change.

It's now failing the first POST, then looping and booting correctly the second time.

I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard.

Time to look at the warranty and see what's going on there.

Last edited:

Okedokey

That PSU needs replacing mate. Its not just the amperage

Your CPU isn't overheating, how well are you sure of your temps, voltages. Tested RAM?

I would do some more tests first before RMA or replacing motherboards.

Perkomate

Your CPU isn't overheating, how well are you sure of your temps, voltages. Tested RAM?

I would do some more tests first before RMA or replacing motherboards.

Temps are fine.
I don't see how it could be RAM when it's the display that's having problems.

Perkomate

Could be wrong. But my guess is you got a low 12V rail. Thats a pretty bad power supply.

Sure, but how do you think that it failed? The supply sent too much voltage? All I was doing was watching a live stream.

Warranty period for the board is 3 years, so I can get it replaced.
Looks like I'll be upgrading a fair bit too. Maybe a 670, or a 7950 or 7970 if I can find a deal. Along with a decent PSU, case and monitor.

spirit

Staff member
Perko, I'm going to bet it's your PSU that is giving you these problems. Seriously, get it replaced it quickly.

wolfeking

banned
Treat the cause not the symptoms. Replace the PSU, and retest every component, replacing any that are broken/damaged from the old one.

Look at it like this. You don't take morphine for a broken arm. You set the bone. the cause is fixed, not the symptom.

StrangleHold

Staff member
CRAP !! If it fails on the first boot but works normally on the second boot THAT IS NOT POWER SUPPLY RELATED !! If it were power supply related it would not work at all.

Thats false. I have had power supplies with a low or going out 12V rails do exactly the same thing.

This is caused by a memory conflict wherein one of the default settings assigned to the video card is in conflict with one of the settings for the motherboard. It is only because there is a secondary setting, (which is NOT in conflict), for that same setting that it works at all. Read the thread that I posted a link too, and you will see what it is all caused by. The guy I was trying to help, was too stupid to "REMOVE" the conflicting memory assgnment, and instead assigned several different alternate settings.

OK, you don't say what version of Windows you are using, but to change the memory assignments for your video card, if you are using XP, first open devie manager, then click on the "Help Menu", then click on "Help Topics" and when the "Help Topics" window opens, click on "Index", then scroll down to "Changing", and under "Changing" highlight "device settings", then click on the "Display" button down in the lower right corner. That will open a subwindow with various topics in it. Within that subwindow click on "Change resource settings for a device". That will give you instructions on how to change a conflicting memory setting assigned to your video card.

Problem there being that there is a checkbox for "Use Automatic Settings" which has to be unchecked before you can change the settings, and on my computer that checkbox is greyed out so you can't change it. That is why I had to go to Microsoft support for help when I had this problem.

Is all your talking about is IRQ assignments?