major graphics problem

spirit

Staff member
all of your diagnostics are about PSU, are you a PSU retailer or something? :D

Look at my age and then answer your own question.

The PSU is the likely cause, and I really can't stress how important it is to have a god one.

Okedokey

The purpose of disconnecting the SSD and HDD, prior to clearing the Bios, then booting to see if you can get video to get into the Bios, is to remove Windopes from the equation.

i.e. If he then can get video to boot into the bios, then it may be a Windopes issue, if not then it must be a hardware issue. One other thing I would point out, is that when I first built this machine that I am on, it would boot into a "BLACK SCREEN" because of "DEFECTIVE RAM"; i.e. "Buffalo Select" RAM that would not support it's default timings; though it would work OK if you slowed the timings down. Changing the RAM solved the problem.

EXPERTS -- my foot !!

To Quote Denther : Windows isn't even initialized until after the BIOS Posts and finished it's splash screen. If you can't even get a video signal from the BIOS then Windows has nothing to do with it.

Ever heard of Boot Track settings ?

Mate, seriously im beginning to think you are trolling. Windows has nothing to do whatsoever with the boot, or the bios. Its also an EFI bios so your idea is wrong from the beginning.

Don't believe us? How about MS?

BIOS is part of the hardware of your computer and is separate from Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions

Finally, i have never heard of boot track settings and nothing at all comes up on google, so would you mind elightening us of what you're talking about? Relevent please to the topic of course, something in the last few years (not windows ME or similar).

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
The purpose of disconnecting the SSD and HDD, prior to clearing the Bios, then booting to see if you can get video to get into the Bios, is to remove Windopes from the equation.

i.e. If he then can get video to boot into the bios, then it may be a Windopes issue, if not then it must be a hardware issue. One other thing I would point out, is that when I first built this machine that I am on, it would boot into a "BLACK SCREEN" because of "DEFECTIVE RAM"; i.e. "Buffalo Select" RAM that would not support it's default timings; though it would work OK if you slowed the timings down. Changing the RAM solved the problem.

Windows has nothing to do with the motherboards bios/cmos boot process. Like the problem you had, memory can fail a boot because it stores boot info into memory. But the harddrive has nothing to do with the boot process untill the end when its looking for the MBR.

The boots process starts with powering up the CPU. Then does a power on test, if there is a error you will get a beep tone. Then it looks for the video cards bios data, and starts up your video, hence your monitor comes on. Then looks for other hardware and if they have a bios. If any errors come up at this time, they will be displayed on the screen. Then plug and play devices. A few other checks between the ones above.

Then at the end it looks for the boot drive and checks the MBR. Then the boot sector on the harddrive takes over from the bios and windows boots.

Perkomate

I am quite aware that the BIOS is separate from Windopes. That is why I said that if he disconnects his SSD and HDD then clears the bios, (which would remove any Windopes altered settings from the bios) then tried to boot into the bios, IF HE GOT VIDEO BOOTING INTO THE BIOS THEN IT MIGHT BE A WINDOPES ISSUE. IF HE DID NOT GET VIDEO BOOTING INTO THE BIOS THEN IT MUST BE A HARDWARE ISSUE.

Can't you understand English ?

Re Boot track settings by Windopes, they do exist. BUT that is one of the things that MoronSh_t keeps secret because they use at least one of them in order to prevent illegal usage of Windopes.

do you even know what you are saying?

Windows does not alter any of the settings in my BIOS.

Please leave this thread, you're making an ass of yourself.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just contradicted yourself. As far as the bios boot string to prevent illegal usage still doesn't come into play till after windows has booted or during the install with OEM motherboards. Plus it has nothing to do with the boot process and video. Getting close of being tried of this!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OMG......

You don't even need a cmos battery installed in order to see video. All the battery does is keep the settings intact when the system is shut off.

Darren

Staff member
I am very surprized by the following post by johnb35. It might possibly be true of his mobo, but it sure isn't true of most mobos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonvolatile_BIOS_memory

What else would a CMOS battery do? BIOS is something located entirely on the motherboard and has no direct relation to Windows. Once the BIOS has finished its POST it will go through the boot devices in order and boot from whichever one is first assuming it's installed correctly. This normally involves having the SSD or HDD boot and then the BIOS turns over control of the hardware to Windows AFTER the BIOS shows up and finished POST. Not before. End of story. If I remember correctly the BIOS doesn't even utilize the video drivers or anything else that is involved with Windows and just has a standard display drive for the video card that is used.

Perkomate

Fine, I am leaving this thread per request. BUT first I am going to point out that these "EXPERTS" have all been recommending a new power supply. Whereas the first thing I would change is the Mobo battery, because a lot of Mobos require a good battery to turn on the monitor, and if yours is dying, you won't get video. Second I would point out that one failed boot followed by one good boot is indicative of a MEMORY CONFLICT. Third I would point out that defective RAM which will not support its timing settings will also give boots into a black screen. Fourth I would point out that Windopes does alter certain Bios settings pertaining to Memory Assignments and IRQ Assignments. Finally I would point out that Windopes puts at least one setting on the Boot Track of your storage device, (NOT IN THE BIOS - Per Stranglehold), to prevent illegal usage; and it may put other settings there for other purposes.

So have fun, buy a new powersupply, then maybe a new Mobo at the instructions of these EXPERTS. Ha Ha Ha!!

I am very surprized by the following post by johnb35. It might possibly be true of his mobo, but it sure isn't true of most mobos.

okay, so you're telling me that my battery could be defective, which would mean jack all if it's plugged into the wall, which it is.

second, as many many other people have said, memory conflicts pretty much do not exist in 7.

thirdly, defective RAM that has worked for nearly 2 years? u wot m8?

Okedokey

Fine, I am leaving this thread per request.

Good! Look i think the lights are on but no one is home in the JHM department, he's even arguing with himself.

But before you go, show us just one modern ATX motherboard, just one, that requires the CMOS battery to be installed to get video output? Just one. You cannot. CMOS battery is there for one reason only as John pointed out. You're living in a dream world JHM, up the meds mate. And considering it was DEFINITELY the GPU memory conflict, then DEFINITELY the hard drives connected, then DEFINITELY the cmos battery etc etc, you have no credibility left and clearly very very little knowledge. So before you start giving shit to others about being/not being experts i suggest you simply go and learn the basics. Pretty good idea before accusing others on a forum you're new to. So yeah, uninstall any OS you have that has been made in the last 15 years or so mate and go back to 95 where (some) of your knowledge is applicable.

Perk, you know what you need to do, just do it and get back to us.

Last edited:

Perkomate

Holy thread revival Batman!

It's been a bit of a road getting to where I am now.

So, the story so far.

The motherboard was taken to the shop, who confirmed it was borked and sent it off to Gigabyte to be repaired.
That took a good 6 weeks as the centre seems to be staffed by snails.
I got the board back, it worked once and then did the same thing again. I sent it back to the shop who tested it, said that it worked fine then gave it back to me.

I then tested it, and it will NOT boot while in my computer. So, I guess it's the PSU that died originally and took the board with it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either the Silverstone Strider 600w, or 750w. They're both fully modular, have good reviews and are priced at $109 and $145 respectively.

I know that both are currently overkill, but some headroom to crossfire old cards such as 6950 and 570 would be nice.

Please tell me how to spend money.

spirit

Staff member
Either one of those will be fine Perkomate. If you're interested in going CrossFire in the future with older cards, then maybe the 750W would be the wiser option. The 600W would probably be OK, but it'd be good to have some headroom.

Perkomate

That's what I was thinking.
I'll do it.

-edit-
ordered and paid, in 1-2 days I'll be the proud owner of a Silverstone 750w fully modular PSU.

Last edited:

Perkomate

And so, the end of a long and epic saga occurs.

After installing the new PSU (which is a really good unit, super easy to work with) the PC still wouldn't boot. I tried some random combinations of hardware, eventually put everything back exactly the same and it works fine.

Thanks for the help gentlemen, this thread is now finished.