major graphics problem

Perkomate

Really, all he needs to do is check for memory conflicts.

considering i now can't see anything on the screen, that may make it a little difficult.

I really honestly fail to see how that issue would affect both of the cards that I have tried.

Also, everybody saying that that issue stopped in Win98 kinda persuades me to not bother.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the memory conflicts were an issue back in 95/98 days. And the memory on on a video card has nothing to do with the memory on the system itself so how would you have memory conflicts? So the whole idea of a memory conflict is null and void.

wolfeking

banned
if your 4800 series was like my 4870, it has hyper memory, and you can assign it as you see fit. HD 5770 does not have hyper memory, and it is not system integrated. neither is the 6770+ series cards.

Perkomate

I have never used Windopes 7, but I very much doubt that it differs in this regard.

And all you need to do is use "Device Manager" to check for conflicts on one working boot.

well since i can't see anything on the ****ing screen it makes it really difficult to do anything like that. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? THERE IS NO DISPLAY.

-edit-
thoughts on OCZ ZT650?

Last edited:

JHM

banned
Yes I understand that, but you did say earlier in the 5th post to this thread that :

"It's now failing the first POST, then looping and booting correctly the second time."

Which is why I suggested that you check for memory conflicts. If you now can't get it to boot at all, then maybe you should replace the power supply; though one other thing you could try first, is shut down the machine, and then use the jumper on the mobo to "Clear the BIOS".

Last edited:

Perkomate

Yes I understand that, but you did say earlier in the 5th post to this thread that :

"It's now failing the first POST, then looping and booting correctly the second time."

Which is why I suggested that you check for memory conflicts. If you now can't get it to boot at all, then maybe you should replace the power supply; though one other thing you could try first, is shut down the machine, and then use the jumper on the mobo to "Clear the BIOS".

it boots but THERE IS NO DISPLAY ON THE SCREEN.
EHHEHRHERHHEHRHEHRHERHERHHHEHRHR.
if you read the thread you'd learn that i have already cleared the bios.

spirit

Staff member
The ZT 650 is a good power supply. Overkill for your 5770, but still a good PSU nonetheless.

Okedokey

JHM sersiously mate, im getting hell sick of your nonsense. IT IS NOT A MEMORY CONFLICT FFS. THAT DOESNT HAPPEN IN WINDOW 7.

And even in windows xp, the process you are describing does NOTHING:

Manually assigning IRQs to PCI slots in the system BIOS as a troubleshooting method may work on some non-ACPI systems that use a standard PC hardware abstraction layer (HAL), but these settings are ignored by Plug and Play in Windows if ACPI support is enabled. If you must manually assign IRQ addresses through the BIOS to a device on an ACPI motherboard, you must reinstall Windows to force the installation to use a Standard PC HAL.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068

Also any modifications to the OS aren't even in play at boot time. You have no idea.

Secondly he has cleared the BIOS many times, and thirdly the only option left is a new PSU or motherboard and since hes getting a new PSU anyway, logic would suggest that you try that first.

JHM you're boring me to tears.

Last edited:

Perkomate

The ZT 650 is a good power supply. Overkill for your 5770, but still a good PSU nonetheless.

i'm thinking of an upgrade, something along the lines of a 660ti or 670, or cheap AMD such as 7870 7950 etc.
That, plus the power supply, a case and maybe a monitor.

Darren

Staff member
One other thing you can try, is shut down the machine, disconnect your SSD and HDD if any, then clear the Bios, then power back up with the SSD and HDD disconnected to see if you can get video to get into the bios with them disconnected. If you can, then it may be a "Setting Problem" of some sort. If you can't then it pretty well has to be a hardware problem.

Let's review. He has cleared the BIOS. Also I'm pretty sure that your Hard Drives have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not your video card outputs a signal to your monitor. All that's going to change is you don't a device connected to boot from and you'll just be stuck in your BIOS.

spirit

Staff member
i'm thinking of an upgrade, something along the lines of a 660ti or 670, or cheap AMD such as 7870 7950 etc.
That, plus the power supply, a case and maybe a monitor.

That PSU would be a good choice for any of those cards. :)

I still think the issue is down to your PSU, so get that PSU and try it.

Darren

Staff member
The purpose of disconnecting the SSD and HDD, prior to clearing the Bios, then booting to see if you can get video to get into the Bios, is to remove Windopes from the equation.

i.e. If he then can get video to boot into the bios, then it may be a Windopes issue, if not then it must be a hardware issue. One other thing I would point out, is that when I first built this machine that I am on, it would boot into a "BLACK SCREEN" because of "DEFECTIVE RAM"; i.e. "Buffalo Select" RAM that would not support it's default timings; though it would work OK if you slowed the timings down. Changing the RAM solved the problem.

EXPERTS -- my foot !!

Windows isn't even initialized until after the BIOS Posts and finished it's splash screen. If you can't even get a video signal from the BIOS then Windows has nothing to do with it.

PSU upgrade still seems like the best idea to me.