Media Center PC Questions:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well again, I have no use for a capture card, only a video card. Whats would be a good vdeo card with HDMI out considering this is for strictly video?

Well Myth TV is nice because it records digital cables shows, so if you wanted to use the DVR function then yes you would need a TV tuner card. If you don't want the DVR function, VLC makes a windows version.

www.videolan.org

massahwahl

VIP Member
Well Myth TV is nice because it records digital cables shows, so if you wanted to use the DVR function then yes you would need a TV tuner card. If you don't want the DVR function, VLC makes a windows version.

www.videolan.org

yeah but what im saying is were not going to be recording anything with this setup. He has HD Tivo for that. This is strictly for playing movies. I have VLC for windows and love it! If it plays ISO's, then this would be perfect to run it in Ubuntu. We could get away with 1 gig of ram that way as well, thus, saving some money.

Quentin_T

yeah but what im saying is were not going to be recording anything with this setup. He has HD Tivo for that. This is strictly for playing movies. I have VLC for windows and love it! If it plays ISO's, then this would be perfect to run it in Ubuntu. We could get away with 1 gig of ram that way as well, thus, saving some money.

VLC does play ISO's. *tested just now*

If you go with an HDMI video card you might now want to try linux. From what I hear the drivers for the audio on the HDMI ports are very new. But there's a possibility that there might be drivers for linux. Save money on a video card not ram.... I Just picked up 2 GB for $38 by saving money you mean $20 at the most.

tlarkin

VIP Member
of course it plays iso files I wouldn't have posted that unless I knew.

As for the video cards, Nvidia puts out Linux drivers that are pretty good, you can always give it a test run. If you don't like it go back to windows.

massahwahl

VIP Member
VLC does play ISO's. *tested just now*

If you go with an HDMI video card you might now want to try linux. From what I hear the drivers for the audio on the HDMI ports are very new. But there's a possibility that there might be drivers for linux. Save money on a video card not ram.... I Just picked up 2 GB for $38 by saving money you mean $20 at the most.

interesting point. Even if the audio drivers didnt work, we could run audio from the soundcard to the surround sound system.

So heres what im lookin at now, cutting some areas:

1. Mobo- Asus M2N-E SLI board. $90
2. Processor- AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+ Windsor 2.6Ghz. $76
3. Case- Nmediapc HTPC 700Ba. $60
4. PSU- Rosewill RU450-2 450watt $30 (Does that case require a special PSU?)

still need a video card idea, and we will do the 1 gig.

Quentin_T

interesting point. Even if the audio drivers didnt work, we could run audio from the soundcard to the surround sound system.

NO! Do the 2GB, it's about a $20 difference, that's not much!

Here's a search on newegg for HDMI Video cards. The only problem is that they include cards with adapters! so you need to sort through it a bit.

I connected my HTPC via HDMI and I'll tell you what, I couldn't read anything! Right now I have it set at 1360 x 768 and from where I sit it's perfect!

I haven't really tinkered with font, and other settings, but at 1920 x 1080 you're probably gonna have to be close to see it!

Here's the guts of mine:
2076898258_8ad0979d60_b.jpg

It's tight and might require a touch of modification to make your PSU fit. All in all the Nmedia PC cases are nice, just plan on spending at least a couple hours setting it up.

My face is about 9' from the TV and it's a 42".

Oh and replace those fans! The stock Nmedia PC fans are kinda loud.

paratwa

oh ok ok. Idealy I wish there was a way to have a folder containing lots of single files (as opposed to folders with movie VOBs in them) that would represent each movie so If I double clicked a movie it would auto play.

I recommend CloneDVD mobile. It will convert the DVD to any mobile device or to standard AVI, MP4 and others.
(hint, look at another must have product on that page that is also sold by them which works fantastic!)
http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member

Take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820220095

massahwahl

VIP Member
Alright convinced on the ram! Heres next big question:

Bros TV is a 62" DLP tv and in the manual it says dont use it as a computer monitor. Does this constitute using it as a computer monitor in the first place since its only for watching movies? Why would it not be ok to use it on DLP? Its a Toshiba brand.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ok, well as long as the movies are good. AS far is hooking it up, I originally said I wanted to HDMI but how does sound get to the TV since im assuming the video card is not going to have sound running out of it. Is it possible to get a video/sound card that has component outs on it? Or whats the best route?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I dunno if this is possible, maybe use RCA and get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the sound? Otherwise, computer speakers :(

massahwahl

VIP Member
hmmm so the video and sound solution is still up in the air. Any ideas on the best route to take for a video card?

Quentin_T

hmmm... his surround sound has RCA inputs. Theres no such thing as a sound card with RCA outs?

How many inputs? Does it separate the center/Front L/Front R/Rear R/Rear L/Subwoofer?

More than likely it has L and R, in that case all you need is a 1/8" stereo jack to L/R RCA's.

I will be picking up a sound card off newegg (this one) that has optical out. It's a good price and one of the few that has optical capabilities. But, I still might just go with this ATI card which will output sound with the HDMI adapter. I will be deciding/ordering in the next week or so and will let you know how it turns out.

The onboard video on this board BIOSTAR TForce TF7050 is good @ 256 MB shared, but not quite good enough for HD movies. It will play wow, but gives an ever so slightly jerk on scrolling video with HD flix.

massahwahl

VIP Member
How many inputs? Does it separate the center/Front L/Front R/Rear R/Rear L/Subwoofer?

More than likely it has L and R, in that case all you need is a 1/8" stereo jack to L/R RCA's.

I will be picking up a sound card off newegg (this one) that has optical out. It's a good price and one of the few that has optical capabilities. But, I still might just go with this ATI card which will output sound with the HDMI adapter. I will be deciding/ordering in the next week or so and will let you know how it turns out.

The onboard video on this board BIOSTAR TForce TF7050 is good @ 256 MB shared, but not quite good enough for HD movies. It will play wow, but gives an ever so slightly jerk on scrolling video with HD flix.

Well keep in mind these are just dvds, not even HD.