Media Center PC Questions:

spanky

I don't see why not. It's a shortcut and it's still going to open the same file and that same file is still going to do the same thing.

Quentin_T

What would you recommended and why?

I'd take this:

ASUS EAH2600PRO/HTDI/256M Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121087
Cause it comes with an HDMI adapter.

Or

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229
Still a little overkill, but good price.

I will probably buy:

BFG Tech BFGE85256GTE GeForce 8500GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143104
Cause even this should do the trick, and still handle anything I can throw at it from a HTPC. And it's CHEAP!! :D

I will be capping TV/Maybe playing WoW/playing DivX/Playing 720/1080 Movies.

The 8600 I have in my Desktop is way more than adequate for I need. As far as playing DVD's from a HTPC, my old system (the one I am upgrading was also more than adequate).

The Old specs:
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2
ATI X700 Pro
Athlon XP +3000
1 GB Crucial DDR 400
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu Heatsink

Save your Money for 2 of these

or almost as good, 2 of these

Last edited:

Quentin_T

Could I name the shortcuts though? Like title the movies?

A lot of software DVD players will play off the Video_TS.ifo file. Make a shortcut to that and name the shortcut after your movie. And if you really wanna make it look good create some icons from screen caps/or Box covers.

Quentin_T

Alright, I just thought it might be easier to run it from linux strictly as a media center setup so there would not be any need for some of the confusing linux problems. In any case, we'll stick with vista.

Go with XP media center. I am going to fool around with mine, and let you know what it will and will not recognize.

Also, what is the point of storing 300 dvds on a computer? Is it too hard to find the one you want? Just kinda curious :D

I use mine for DivX files and HD movies picked up from newsgroups. And the occasion R5 release or Pal dvd download.

massahwahl

VIP Member
he likes the idea of having everything archived and being able call up a movie quickly thats the reasoning behind it. Thanks for the video card options, as long as its hdmi out it will work!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
All GPUs come w/ component adapters. Is the component interface superior to a DVI to HDMI adapter? You guys understand that the adapters that ship w/ video cards are Component, not HDMI, right?

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I was under the impression that you could buy GPU's with HDMI outs. Is that not correct?

That's not correct. Read the links I've provided in this thread. Component is analog; DVI to HDMI is digital. There is a debate over which interface is better. Do your research. Until AMD, nVidia and the monitor manufactuers' support DisplayPort, we will not see true high def content coming from a PC. ;)

Quentin_T

HOLY MIRACLE!!!!!!! IT HAS HDMI!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???? THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!???????????

14-129-098-03.jpg

:eek:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
WTF does that have to do with my post?

He wanted a video card with HDMI, some have it, some have adapters. There's no way to sort them.

Some have it? Sure, some have adapters, none come w/ a dedicated HDMI port - yet.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
14-103-042-04.jpg

14-129-095-04.jpg

14-127-302-02.jpg

Should I scour the net for more???
This is just newegg, and there's more there.

yeah yeah.... I didn't know that. "Ninja" should look into those cards. They might be better suited for a HTPC. Nice job, Quentin. :D