Media Center PC Questions:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Does the VLC player work on linux? Might it be a better idea to use Linux MCE rather than Vista since linux would not eat up as many resources? Is the 8800GT compaible though?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Does the VLC player work on linux? Might it be a better idea to use Linux MCE rather than Vista since linux would not eat up as many resources? Is the 8800GT compaible though?

There are probably drivers available for the 8800GT. Not sure about VLC and linux; however, I don't think you should be too concerned about the resource useage in Vista. 2GB of RAM at ≥ to 800 Mhz should suffice, IMO.

spanky

Yes VLC player is available for linux. If it's a media pc with 2 gb on Vista you don't need to worry about it taking up too many resources. One of linux's great points is that whatever that hardware, as long as it's not a fossil, it will run on it. Unless your brother is familiar and comfortable using a linux distro, I recommend you staying with Vista.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Alright, I just thought it might be easier to run it from linux strictly as a media center setup so there would not be any need for some of the confusing linux problems. In any case, we'll stick with vista.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hmm, didja read the specifications and reviews of that GFX? It's passively cooled, and some said that it overheats to 100C+... So I don't think such a small case + such a hot card will make a good system.

There's definitely something wrong with that card, or that person's heatsink. Plus it's not like he'll be gaming, so there's no way it'll overheat.

spanky

Since when? I watched 'I know pronounce you chuck and Larry' last night and it has full menus.

I guess you know something I don't then.

Edit: Just tried it again. I never realized that, but that's probably cause I usually open the movies from files and not the program.

Last edited:

jimkonow

any format you can find :p
it'll play any media format you throw at it....but Real files are questionable...

spanky

Which file do you double click to make VLC auto open the movie?

That's what I'm trying to say is that you can't and that's why I thought vlc couln't use the menus. I always tried to auto open from the files which VLC can't do as far as I can tell.

massahwahl

VIP Member
oh ok ok. Idealy I wish there was a way to have a folder containing lots of single files (as opposed to folders with movie VOBs in them) that would represent each movie so If I double clicked a movie it would auto play.

spanky

oh ok ok. Idealy I wish there was a way to have a folder containing lots of single files (as opposed to folders with movie VOBs in them) that would represent each movie so If I double clicked a movie it would auto play.

That's why I suggested avs dvd player. you can double click teh video_ts ifo file and it will auto play the dvd.

massahwahl

VIP Member
That's why I suggested avs dvd player. you can double click teh video_ts ifo file and it will auto play the dvd.

Does it play menus and all as well? And would all of the video info need to be in the same folder, or could I use a shortcut to the video_ts file and rename it the name of the movie?

spanky

Does it play menus and all as well? And would all of the video info need to be in the same folder, or could I use a shortcut to the video_ts file and rename it the name of the movie?

Yes, it uses all the menus. Yes, you could create a shortcut of the .INF files to play the movies (not info).