Microsoft Bans Xbox Live Players

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am pretty sure it is done by checking the firmware, probably by a checksum or md5 dump comparison. If you modify the firmware the comparisons will not produce equal results.

This can be accomplished by the most basic of programming and it's margin of error is probably very low.

Steam did the same thing when HL2 came out, they banned over 60,000 accounts the first weekend that were using pirated software. I also think they should permanently ban cheaters/hackers as well.

I have no sympathy for those people who want to steal. I don't hold anything moral over them either. I could care less if you steal from Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo or whatever developer you are stealing from, but if you get caught well I mean you were stealing. So, if you don't want to suffer the consequences then legally buy your stuff. If you want to pirate and steal and if you get caught, well that is the price you pay.

djarvis1one

My question on this article is if they ban Xbox modders from the live accounts, what's to stop them from banning PC gamers? That's what the whole "Games for Windows" branding was for wasn't it? Admittedly, I don't play PC games but I would hate to see Microsoft impart some new ridiculous mandates that would limit what type of system you could use to access their online gaming services.

chrisalv14

banned
Weldone Microsoft!

Its actually about time they punished them little losing jerks who cheat and ruin the game when everyone is also playing!.

I too read this and was happy enough to see they banned them. Now at last people will be tought lesson for being a loser and for cheating all the time.

Droogie

the discs are checked on xbox consoles, but it is by the drive itself. You can buy other xbox drives that bypass this feature, so you can use any disc

you don't even need to buy anything (except for dual layer DVD's). you can flash the old drive, and then use it to play burned games. if you go online you have to "stealth" your games, so microsoft can't detect that you are using hacked firmware.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My question on this article is if they ban Xbox modders from the live accounts, what's to stop them from banning PC gamers? That's what the whole "Games for Windows" branding was for wasn't it? Admittedly, I don't play PC games but I would hate to see Microsoft impart some new ridiculous mandates that would limit what type of system you could use to access their online gaming services.

Steam already does this. Since Windows boxes have a large history of piracy, things like DRM come into play to help mitigate said piracy.

PCs have way too wide range of hardware to be able to tell what system is running what. Since, the hack is a firmware hack, Xbox Live servers can read the exact version of the firmware and all the meta data that goes with it.

In the end it is MS's product and they can do with it whatever they want to. They spent the time, money and effort to build their product and their company to what it is today. They have a right to protect their large investment, just like any technology company does.

I don't have any sympathy for those that want to steal games. If you play video games you should support your interests and pay for it. If you like music, go buy the CD and don't download it for free.

If people didn't steal this wouldn't be an issue

Aastii

VIP Member
I think the GFWL system is a joke. I mean, you can go and buy a cheap game and use that code on any other game and it is legit and working, opens it up to so many types of piracy and you can do it on and offline and they think it's legit!!

massahwahl

VIP Member
no, you can't play illegal games with a different case, and microsoft can't detect what colour plastic is surrounding their hardware.

Hell, they even sell different cases, they can hardle then say to people that bought them that bceause they bought them there accounts will be banned. I think you would be safe to use a new case :good:

So if microsoft sells different cases, if you install one does it still void your warranty?

djarvis1one

Steam already does this. Since Windows boxes have a large history of piracy, things like DRM come into play to help mitigate said piracy.

PCs have way too wide range of hardware to be able to tell what system is running what. Since, the hack is a firmware hack, Xbox Live servers can read the exact version of the firmware and all the meta data that goes with it.

In the end it is MS's product and they can do with it whatever they want to. They spent the time, money and effort to build their product and their company to what it is today. They have a right to protect their large investment, just like any technology company does.

I don't have any sympathy for those that want to steal games. If you play video games you should support your interests and pay for it. If you like music, go buy the CD and don't download it for free.

If people didn't steal this wouldn't be an issue

I read this article on MSN today and the context of it made it sound like any mod would void your warranty and ban you from LIVE. I have read subsequent articles and they mention the firmware hack you stated.

I agree wholeheartedly that if you pirate anything (code, music, large transatlantic freighters) you pay the piper and don't whine about it.

You have to think that Sony is going to be laughing all the way to the bank when all of these modded 360's end up in the pawn shops and stores are trying to keep the PS3's in stock.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I read this article on MSN today and the context of it made it sound like any mod would void your warranty and ban you from LIVE. I have read subsequent articles and they mention the firmware hack you stated.

I agree wholeheartedly that if you pirate anything (code, music, large transatlantic freighters) you pay the piper and don't whine about it.

You have to think that Sony is going to be laughing all the way to the bank when all of these modded 360's end up in the pawn shops and stores are trying to keep the PS3's in stock.

I doubt that will happen. I bet that either some Russian hacker will set up Xbox Live mirror servers for hacked xboxes, or people will just not use Xbox Live and keep on downloading games for free. Then go buy a cheap Xbox Arcade or something else to play on Xbox Live.

I doubt this will increase Sony's market share. The only thing that can really increase their market share is dropping their prices on games and consoles, and it has already begun to drop in price. I may end up buying one, the problem is, there aren't any really games for PS3 I am dying to play. Maybe 2 or so games total and that can't justify the costs of a whole console for 2 games. Plus I already have a 360 and a Wii, plus my PC.

djarvis1one

I doubt that will happen. I bet that either some Russian hacker will set up Xbox Live mirror servers for hacked xboxes, or people will just not use Xbox Live and keep on downloading games for free. Then go buy a cheap Xbox Arcade or something else to play on Xbox Live.

I doubt this will increase Sony's market share. The only thing that can really increase their market share is dropping their prices on games and consoles, and it has already begun to drop in price. I may end up buying one, the problem is, there aren't any really games for PS3 I am dying to play. Maybe 2 or so games total and that can't justify the costs of a whole console for 2 games. Plus I already have a 360 and a Wii, plus my PC.

I bought an 80 gig for my son for Christmas last year and have been extremely pleased. We had to pay $299.00 for it but considering a PlayStation and a blu ray player for that amount, couldn't pass it up. Plus I have read that you can install Linux (or some other OS) if you so choose.

Rambo

I did...It didnt answer whether or not replacing one with a MICROSOFT case voids the warranty.

Opening the case voids the warranty. End of. I can't understand why Microsoft would sell different cases because as soon as you open your existing case you void your warranty.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I bought an 80 gig for my son for Christmas last year and have been extremely pleased. We had to pay $299.00 for it but considering a PlayStation and a blu ray player for that amount, couldn't pass it up. Plus I have read that you can install Linux (or some other OS) if you so choose.

Yeah, but I don't even own a HD TV. I don't have cable, haven't had cable TV in many years and refuse to pay for it. So there is no reason for me to get a nice TV. If I got a nice TV that was HD compliant then I would go get cable, and then I would be hooked to every HD nature channel in the world and never get anything done :)

When I house/pet set for people I watch their cable then. So, like twice a year I get to watch discovery HD all weekend long, and that is about as much as I need.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go buy a new TV today, and I got pretty big credit lines with Newegg and Nebraska Furniture Mart, so I Could go pick up a nice TV today and not owe anything on it for 24 months, but that would just enable me to buy things like blu ray, and HD cable TV and other stuff I really just can't waste my money on.

Plus, blu ray drives for your PC are getting cheaper and cheaper. If Sony had more exclusive games that I would love to play then I'd buy one. However, I don't think Sony or the developers are even using 1/10th the potential of what the PS3 hardware can do. So, why not just buy an Xbox? It is more established, has more games, and has a better on line experience.

One of these days though, I may break down again and sign up for digital cable TV, and that is when it will all go down hill and I will spend a bunch of money!

JlCollins005

If its not connected to the internet you wont get caught/banned

I believe they find out when you run system updates

your right to a certain extent, but lets say you flash your drive but dont play xbox live, then like 5 months from now you decide to get on xbl well the system logs everything even if your not on xbl, so you will prolly be banned,

massahwahl

VIP Member
I can't find any actual 'microsoft' cases so I think a previous poster was wrong in saying there was such a thing. Everything I've read says 'no seal, no warranty'. Pretty lame. For as pc savy as M$oft is you would think they would be a little more open to lettin people customize their systems.

G25r8cer

your right to a certain extent, but lets say you flash your drive but dont play xbox live, then like 5 months from now you decide to get on xbl well the system logs everything even if your not on xbl, so you will prolly be banned,

Correct but, if you never go on xbl then, you will be fine!

To people who dont know: The firmware is loaded on the cd/dvd drive itself and not the xbox. When you connect to internet, xbl, or updates microsoft can see the logs.