My $800 budget gaming pc.. please help!

bball4life

It doesn't matter even if he has 4gb of dual channel ram in two years all the new games are gonna lag, because of the video card, 4gb of dual channel ram and a 7900gt together, you have more ram then is needed with that card, the card is gonna be holding you back. Go think about what you are saying, read up, do some research before you post again please.

Dr Studly

banned
bball4life said:
It doesn't matter even if he has 4gb of dual channel ram in two years all the new games are gonna lag, because of the video card, 4gb of dual channel ram and a 7900gt together, you have more ram then is needed with that card, the card is gonna be holding you back. Go think about what you are saying, read up, do some research before you post again please.
i beleive i said something about the possible upgrade of AM3... i meant to add in a note about future video cards... perhaps a new AM3 with new a new AMD video card?
i do no about bottlenecking ;)

bball4life

Encore4More said:
i beleive i said something about the possible upgrade of AM3... i meant to add in a note about future video cards... perhaps a new AM3 with new a new AMD video card?
i do no about bottlenecking ;)
Upgrade huh, that would mean a new mobo, capable of higher ram speeds, ya that would be for a new build, if you want a gaming comp you really need to rebuild no less then once every 2 years.

Dr Studly

banned
bball4life said:
Upgrade huh, that would mean a new mobo, capable of higher ram speeds, ya that would be for a new build, if you want a gaming comp you really need to rebuild no less then once every 2 years.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... AM3 processors will be compatible with AM2 sockets... and AGP lasted a while so i doubt there will be change from PCI-e...
and there wont be too much need to higher speeds than 800 until he builds his next computer...

i changed his original mobo to be AM2 for the sheer upgradablility...

he is building a budget machine... in a budget machine you don't think what is the performance can i get now, you think, what is the best performance i can get until i build my next puter... that is why i give the more upgradable ram route...

and he has already decided that RAM route probably because i showed proof of how ram technology goes... and i hope he enjoys his setup when it is finished and i beleive he will... i'm going outside now...

bball4life

omg, I am not gonna argue with you anymore, and most likely the am3 will be like conroe now, same socket, but different chipsets so they don't work. But whatever live in your fantasy land where you put 4gb of ram in a budget comp.

Adam Murray

I am happy with 1GB for now and eventually i'll upgrade to 2GB.. I may either rebuild or continue to upgrade.. it just depends on where I am at money-wise.

Anyways, could you please let me know if you think I should get the heatsink/coolant thing I posted, or if there may be a cheaper alternative, or if you even think I need one at all?

Thanks!

SC7

Encore4More said:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... AM3 processors will be compatible with AM2 sockets
Ok, I'm quite sick of you spitting out random facts without any type of justification whatsoever. I've followed your little arguement here, and you've done nothing but make statements with absolutely no explanation whatsoever for them.

So, first of all, would you like to show me detailed schematics on AM3, and give me a detailed comparison to AM2, and prove to me that there will be backwards compatibility? The K8 line is done, and is going out with AM2. The next step in the line is K8L, a whole new architecture, and do you know what that means, compatibility issues. The K8L will be completely different from the inside of the chip, that it would not work with most of the current chipsets, and even less of the current BIOSes. Let's not forget you're assuming there's going to be a new socket too, and likely more pins, or at the least, a different arrangement, explain to me how that is going to fit into an AM2 slot? It's not.

Encore4More said:
i do no about bottlenecking
Why would you be talking about AM3 in the first place, besides the fact it wouldn't matter, as most of the stuff would be outdated, as DDR3 is in the workings. And guess what, becuase AMD uses an integrated memory controller, it's all designed off of the RAM it uses, which means, they'd need to stay cutting edge, and the K8L would only support DDR3, thus making what he has useless. For god sakes, stop referring to them as AMD video cards, the company is still ATI, just because they merged business wise, does not mean they are even remotely close to selling cards labeled AMD. That, my friend, would result in a massive marketing mistake, something you should read up on.

and there wont be too much need to higher speeds than 800 until he builds his next computer...
You're talking speeds not important, yet you refer to AM3??? What you say now is also false, especially if he wants to overclock, faster memory works a lot better. If 1066 MHz memory ships with the same timings as an equal sized stick of 800, and it ends up running at say 600 MHz, do you not think the 1066 can run better? Have you not heard of CAS latency, and timings?

he is building a budget machine... in a budget machine you don't think what is the performance can i get now, you think, what is the best performance i can get until i build my next puter...
Is this a fact? You don't sacrafice on your current build, never because it has to last, that may be one of the most assinine statements I have ever heard. Suppose his next machine is a budget rig as well?

im not... i am planning out for him to upgrade the best way to the higher standard of 2008
No, you're clearly not, see above posts about K8L (stop saying AM3) and DDR3.

look at how technology has grown and you will see otherwise...
I've looked, and I must disagree.

and he has already decided that RAM route probably because i showed proof of how ram technology goes... and i hope he enjoys his setup when it is finished and i beleive he will... i'm going outside now...
Yes, you've stated your comments in a very mature and very professional manner, do have fun outside. You've showed no proof, and have no idea how the next months/years of RAM technology go. Remember there are limits on 32 bit performance with more than 4 GB (and I'm not talking about PAE either).

To the original poster, all I can say is, go with the 2x512, you'll be very happy, especially since you never plan on taking this budget system to 4 GB. Encore4more has made several statements, and failed to provide substancial proof. Time after time I've seen many blaitant false infos in his posts. Also, for the cooling heatsink, it will do you fine, but assuming you're getting a retail CPU, and don't plan to overclock, you really don't need it, best left to use what they give.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Upgrading an old computer is effective till a certain extent, then it's just a big waste of money. When the day comes when he needs more than 4 gigs of ram, it's probably time to build a completely new system.

Adam Murray

SC7, what do you think of the parts I posted a few posts back (besides the 1GB stick)? Is the mobo/cpu/gpu & all the important parts ok?

Dr Studly

banned
SC7 said:
Ok, I'm quite sick of you spitting out random facts without any type of justification whatsoever. I've followed your little arguement here, and you've done nothing but make statements with absolutely no explanation whatsoever for them.

So, first of all, would you like to show me detailed schematics on AM3, and give me a detailed comparison to AM2, and prove to me that there will be backwards compatibility? The K8 line is done, and is going out with AM2. The next step in the line is K8L, a whole new architecture, and do you know what that means, compatibility issues. The K8L will be completely different from the inside of the chip, that it would not work with most of the current chipsets, and even less of the current BIOSes. Let's not forget you're assuming there's going to be a new socket too, and likely more pins, or at the least, a different arrangement, explain to me how that is going to fit into an AM2 slot? It's not.

you are a fool...
http://masc2279.no-ip.org/gadgets-toys/computers/socket-am2-forward-compatible-with-am3-cpus/
everything you just said about me, i just proved about you...
and i proved a whole paragraph u just wasted ur breath... u didn't look that up... however that article completely shows how foolish u r...

SC7 said:
Why would you be talking about AM3 in the first place, besides the fact it wouldn't matter, as most of the stuff would be outdated, as DDR3 is in the workings. And guess what, becuase AMD uses an integrated memory controller, it's all designed off of the RAM it uses, which means, they'd need to stay cutting edge, and the K8L would only support DDR3, thus making what he has useless.
again look to the article... AM3 processors will work in AM2 motherboard... but AM2 motherboards only support DDR2... but it IS backwards compatible...

SC7 said:
For god sakes, stop referring to them as AMD video cards, the company is still ATI, just because they merged business wise, does not mean they are even remotely close to selling cards labeled AMD. That, my friend, would result in a massive marketing mistake, something you should read up on.
no ihave read up on it... and if you know anything about business you would see that merging and buying out a company is not the same...
and it isn't for certain AMD is buying ATI...
i said that is only possible... which it is...

SC7 said:
You're talking speeds not important, yet you refer to AM3??? What you say now is also false, especially if he wants to overclock, faster memory works a lot better. If 1066 MHz memory ships with the same timings as an equal sized stick of 800, and it ends up running at say 600 MHz, do you not think the 1066 can run better? Have you not heard of CAS latency, and timings?
was the AM2 using DDR2 much better increase then the Socket 939 using DDR? no

SC7 said:
Is this a fact? You don't sacrafice on your current build, never because it has to last, that may be one of the most assinine statements I have ever heard. Suppose his next machine is a budget rig as well?
a budget machine is just a express machine for upgrading later... unless u can't upgrade... you make a budget rig as upgradable as possible... (unless u don't plan on upgrading) but as he said before he does plan on it...

SC7 said:
see above posts about K8L (stop saying AM3) and DDR3.
tell me something: Can you read?
either you can't read or have never looked up info on the "AM3" as most articles and roadmaps show it...

SC7 said:
Yes, you've stated your comments in a very mature and very professional manner, do have fun outside. You've showed no proof, and have no idea how the next months/years of RAM technology go. Remember there are limits on 32 bit performance with more than 4 GB (and I'm not talking about PAE either).
i showed a statistics of the passed then based the solution on logic... tell me, have u ever even learned logic?

SC7 said:
To the original poster, all I can say is, go with the 2x512, you'll be very happy, especially since you never plan on taking this budget system to 4 GB. Encore4more has made several statements, and failed to provide substancial proof. Time after time I've seen many blaitant false infos in his posts.
I provided substancial proof... should i go find more?

hereis PROOF!!!!
http://masc2279.no-ip.org/gadgets-toys/computers/socket-am2-forward-compatible-with-am3-cpus/
http://amd.vendors.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/06/1355200
http://www.techpowerup.com/?14066

Oh and here is a thing about the future of RAM
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/275/1/

should i find anything else for you? may i point out u didn't show proof for what u said either?
and may i point out that i have showed proof for everything u asked me to?

fool, don't tell someone to go find proof for waht they are saying if you don't do the same...

Adam Murray

Why is everyone fighting here? I am just trying to get some help to build myself a computer :/

I was reading reviews on the mobo I have selected and a few people were saying that it runs really hot and I only need 1 slot for my video card.. so I would like to know what you guys think of this mobo instead...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022

Also, what do you think of this 2x512 ram I picked out...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141065

Or... what would you suggest?

Adam Murray

ok, i look forward to seeing your new config... I think I'm pretty much where I wanted to be with all of my parts... I just need to decide on some ram and a decent PSU..

Also.. not that I really need any help with this or not, but I wanted to let you guys know that I plan on getting a 19' widescreen lcd and mounting it to my wall! It should be awesome when I get done with it!!

Bobo

banned
Encore4More said:
Lol...now a compromise :rolleyes: The only thing that I don't like is the motherboard, it is fine, just a little on the cheapy end.

Bobo

banned
Adam Murray said:
Everything sounds good, except I will probably still go with this mobo instead...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022
I've always liked the ASUS brand.

If I can get 2 1GB sticks for only about $40-$50 more.. then I will probably go ahead and do that rather than getting the 2x512 ones...

Thanks guys I think I'm pretty much set with what Im gonna get!
Lol...glad we finally figured it out. :)

I would agree with the Asus