My $800 budget gaming pc.. please help!

bball4life

monkeysims said:
Well I have to give it to you thats a very nice build, you could even go with a x800gto2 and unlock it to x850xt speeds, that is if you will be overclocking. You also might want to think about investing in a sound card, it will actually improve your performance by a good amount, since it takes the strain of processing sound of off the cpu. A decent sound blaster 24bit can be bought for like $25.

Adam Murray

bball4life said:
Well it would be worth the extra $150 but if his budget is $1000 then why is this thread "my $800 budget gaming pc". The one he has set up its a great comp for $800.

bball4life, encore was posting that for JG30 - who tried to steal my thread by putting his own situation in here, lol... All is well though.

But... now I am faced with deciding whether or not to go with the core cpu or the am2.. grrr. I think I am still going to go with the configuration I have as I have a 7900gt card!

m0nk3ys1ms

Adam Murray said:
bball4life, encore was posting that for JG30 - who tried to steal my thread by putting his own situation in here, lol... All is well though.

But... now I am faced with deciding whether or not to go with the core cpu or the am2.. grrr. I think I am still going to go with the configuration I have as I have a 7900gt card!

If I were you, I would go with the Core 2 Duo build that I proposed.

SC7

Adam Murray said:

I'm not quite sure about that. Remember, go for what offers you the best performance, not just the company.

bball4life

monkeysims said:
If I were you, I would go with the Core 2 Duo build that I proposed.
I'm gonna have to agree here, ok so that card isn't as good as a 7900gt but is still is a great card, I had no clue they were that cheap now. It will handle most games on high settings and is a good option. If you really want the 7900gt think about saving an extra $100 and going with his build with the 7900gt.

Adam Murray

Everyone here helped me create a system using an AM2.. and now all of a sudden everyone agrees that going to a core 2 duo is a much better decision...

I see from the new config that I would get...

a more expensive intel mobo (+$30)
a more expensive cpu (intel core duo 1.86GHz - instead of AM2 3800+ (~2.0GHz) (+40)
2x1GB sticks instead of 2x512mb (+$40)
160GB with 8mb instead of 250GB 16mb harddrive (-$13)
a less expensive psu (-$27)
and last, but not least... a $100 less graphics card... (-$100)

I really do not care that much about the harddrive, nor the psu, so its mainly the issue about the graphics card... So please tell me whether or not the graphics card is a big deal and why it is so much more worth it to go with the duo core 2? It even shows the clock speed of the duo core is 1.86GHz vs. 2.0Ghz for the AM2..

I could always use the extra money from dropping the prices of the harddrive, psu, & graphics card to buy a better AM2 and more ram... Also, I always heard that AMD processors are better for gaming systems.. is this still true or have things changed?

Guys please help me out here and I'm sure it will help out a lot of other people as well when deciding which route to go!

m0nk3ys1ms

Adam Murray said:
Everyone here helped me create a system using an AM2.. and now all of a sudden everyone agrees that going to a core 2 duo is a much better decision...

I see from the new config that I would get...

a more expensive intel mobo (+$30)
a more expensive cpu (intel core duo 1.86GHz - instead of AM2 3800+ (~2.0GHz) (+40)
2x1GB sticks instead of 2x512mb (+$40)
160GB with 8mb instead of 250GB 16mb harddrive (-$13)
a less expensive psu (-$27)
and last, but not least... a $100 less graphics card... (-$100)

I really do not care that much about the harddrive, nor the psu, so its mainly the issue about the graphics card... So please tell me whether or not the graphics card is a big deal and why it is so much more worth it to go with the duo core 2? It even shows the clock speed of the duo core is 1.86GHz vs. 2.0Ghz for the AM2..

I could always use the extra money from dropping the prices of the harddrive, psu, & graphics card to buy a better AM2 and more ram... Also, I always heard that AMD processors are better for gaming systems.. is this still true or have things changed?

Guys please help me out here and I'm sure it will help out a lot of other people as well when deciding which route to go!

That X850XT will handle anything you throw at it. Core 2 Duo's are the choice for gaming now. The 1.86Ghz Conroe is the way to go, trust me.

SC7

Adam Murray said:
I really do not care that much about the harddrive, nor the psu, so its mainly the issue about the graphics card... !

You really should worry about the power supply. A bad power supply could take down the whole unit. A bad power supply could also prevent your critical components, such as your graphics card from performing. You may often get artifacts and other issues with a low end power supply.

Just something to think about

sc7

Dr Studly

banned
if u get the His Hightech X850XT IceQ II Edition you can overclock the hell out of it... it has a freaking quite and cooling effecient fan and is an overclocking dream... if u can find it

SC7

Encore4More said:
if u get the His Hightech X850XT IceQ II Edition you can overclock the hell out of it... it has a freaking quite and cooling effecient fan and is an overclocking dream... if u can find it
Is that the one with the cooling pipe system or something? Because I saw something like that, and it was really cool.

Adam Murray

SC7 said:
You really should worry about the power supply. A bad power supply could take down the whole unit. A bad power supply could also prevent your critical components, such as your graphics card from performing. You may often get artifacts and other issues with a low end power supply.

Just something to think about

sc7

Well I know that the PSU is important, but I was saying I didnt care about the price difference because the one he picked out (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174023) looked decent... (it has a total of 40A on the +12v rails).

Also, I did find the His Hightech X850XT IceQ II Edition card encore was talking about and it does look pretty good.. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161165) I just dont see how a card that is pretty much $100 less can make up for the difference with a dual core 2 processor... All you guys are saying is "trust me", but I need some better help then this so I can decide.

This may be a dumb question, but is it hard to do 'overclocking' and is it risky?

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
Adam Murray said:
Well I know that the PSU is important, but I was saying I didnt care about the price difference because the one he picked out (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174023) looked decent... (it has a total of 40A on the +12v rails).
Looking at the sticker, it's actually +12V @ 29A (Dual rails don't necessarily sum). A little lite for the system you're proposing, particularly given that the X850 is quite power hungry. This is somewhat better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

Also, I did find the His Hightech X850XT IceQ II Edition card encore was talking about and it does look pretty good.. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161165)
Well, that's an X800XL, not an X850XT. A 7600GT would be better at the same price (not as power hungry either).

I just dont see how a card that is pretty much $100 less can make up for the difference with a dual core 2 processor... All you guys are saying is "trust me", but I need some better help then this so I can decide
For a gaming oriented machine, the better video card in the AM2 based system will be telling. For a general purpose machine, consider the Core 2 Duo based rig. Neither a 7600GT or X850XT will be able to handle modern high-res games at near to maximum settings. Just look at what happens with Oblivion, and some of the top video cards: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page6.asp
Here's a comparison of the CPUs: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_11.html

This may be a dumb question, but is it hard to do 'overclocking' and is it risky?
You can find out all about overclocking the CPU at OC101 (I doubt you'd be doing all that much of that with the Intel mobo). Overclocking the video card isn't particularly difficult, and generally safe, although with the exception of certain brands (such as eVga), it will void your warranty.

JG30

Sorry bout jacking your thread. :)

It justs seems like everyone was saying to go with the AM2 instead of the Conroe (which I know see was renamed the Core 2 Duo). Your budget at the start was not that far off of the person I'm building this computer for.

Where the difference might be is usage. I'm building mine for good performance in gaming but for the most part I need to focus on running the basics without bogging down. This is where I see the two processors coming into play.

We all know that for the most part AMD is been held as the better gaming machine and Intel the buisness production choice. Yet I don't know how true that holds today. Like I said I remember reading articles on the Conroe saying it would blow the pants off the AM2 in all aspects, even gaming! They were pretty sure of themselves. How this has articulated into present day I am not sure.

If I was to go by history I'd know which processor fell on what side of the tracks. But instead I'd love to see some HARD evidence to prove either way that one performs better in certain situations then the other.

If I had to put money on it I would say the Intel system would probably be a better system for my particular needs and the AMD for all you dedicated gaming machines. But I'd still like to see the proof.

PS: Thanks for putting together that Intel system. It gives me a good place to start from. I know what I would want from the 939 or AM2 systems because I use to build AMD systems all the time. I haven't built an Intel system in years. Thanks again.

JG30

ceewi1 said:
For a gaming oriented machine, the better video card in the AM2 based system will be telling. For a general purpose machine, consider the Core 2 Duo based rig. Neither a 7600GT or X850XT will be able to handle modern high-res games at near to maximum settings. Just look at what happens with Oblivion, and some of the top video cards: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page6.asp
Here's a comparison of the CPUs: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_11.html

After going through and reading the articles you proposed i think I have found my answers. :) Thank you very much. I'd have to say that after reading that the OP should go conroe, even if that means spending a little extra for what he wants.

I have a few questions:

1.) Is the E6400 worth the extra money over the E6300?
2.) The Intel BOXDP965LTCK Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121035...does it support SLI? Are there any other Mobo's anyone would recommend (and I'd like to get SLI support for kicks).

Last edited:

SC7

1. That kind of depends on your needs.

2. No, AFAIK, it needs an nVidia chipset to support SLI. And I don't think an Intel board does. (nVidia was supposed to open SLI up to third parties though). Does that board have dual PCI-E slots? The link is invalid.

Also, AMD isn't really the gamers choice anymore either. Conroe is tanking AMD in the gaming benchmarks.

JG30

fixed the link for you.

yea I think your right that it does not support SLI. I didn't realize there are so few boards out. When did this come out? Recently it seems since there are absolutly no motherboards. I'm guessing the same as you, thrid party will bring the SLI.

EDIT: I also found this. http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/07/nvidia_nforce_for_intel/. Thats basically the answer.

Last edited:

SC7

As of right now, SLI is only supported by nVidia chipsets. SLI has been out over a year, and is well supported on Pentium 4 and AMD boards. The problem is, the main nForce4 SLI chipsets aren't compatible with Conroe as of yet. nVidia will have to get some kind of new conroe compatible chipset out to the market with SLI support.

bball4life

Ok adam, you would be better off with the core 2 system, I will try and explain. Even though the core 2 clock is lower then the am2 it is able to do more per Ghz that it has. So in the end it is faster. If I am not mistaken anyway that HIS x800xl should overclock easily to x850xt pe speeds with the touch of a button, not sure unless the have a seperate turbo version. HIS cards are awesome for ati and have great stock cooling (arctic silencers in fact). No as ceewi1 was saying it will not be able to handle modern games on maximum settings. But truly there are very few cards that can, and most of them are only when it is in a sli or crossfire setup. It will however be able to play the games smoothly on medium to high settings.

And about core 2 and sli, intel announced that they will not support sli, at least not on their boards, so its up to 3rd party companies to do that.

JG30

SC7 said:
As of right now, SLI is only supported by nVidia chipsets. SLI has been out over a year, and is well supported on Pentium 4 and AMD boards. The problem is, the main nForce4 SLI chipsets aren't compatible with Conroe as of yet. nVidia will have to get some kind of new conroe compatible chipset out to the market with SLI support.

Yes I did a little surfing here and found that there are indeed boards with SLI support coming very soon (or so they say). Dates still seem to be unknown though which sucks for me since I have to build this thing within the next month at latest. but for those that can wait I think this will be an amazing setup! Here is a link to some picture of the asus and dfi boards. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72861